Adam Lambert | Chris Brown | News

ABC Books Chris Brown After Dumping Adam Lambert: Convicted Felon More Appropriate for TV Than Unpredictable Gay Man?

ABC's Good Morning America is under fire for booking convicted felon Chris Brown immediately after dumping Adam Lambert over his American Music Awards performance:

Brownlambert "Brown will do a taped tell-all with Robin Roberts, followed by a performance of songs from his new album. But TV insiders say the appearance, slated to air the week after next, has outraged feminists and gay activists who wonder why a convicted girlfriend abuser is more palatable to the network than an openly gay man who broke no laws with his raunchy performance on the American Music Awards. An ABC source said, 'The network is giving a mixed message -- that it doesn't trust someone who shocked with an unpredictable show and a gay kiss, but then it is happy to go ahead with Chris Brown, who was convicted of felony assault.' ABC News has insisted that Lambert's sexual orientation did not play a role in its decision to pull the plug on his 'GMA' appearance this week. ABC insiders said they ruled the 'American Idol' star's sexed-up shenanigans on Sunday's awards show -- which included him groping a female dancer, kissing a male musician and shoving a male dancer's face into his crotch -- were inappropriate for morning TV. One said, 'He was not canceled over a gay kiss. He showed himself to be unpredictable on live TV.'"

Comments

1. Q...you're a fucking mongoloid. I didn't say that chris brown would start beating women at random. There's nothing random about the abuser that chris brown is. It's very intentional.

WOW...you're a fuckin' douche. I think you need a talking doll to argue with...you'd still lose, but at least after a long while, you might understand why.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 27, 2009 5:27:03 PM

2. And unpredictable in this case doesn't mean...random...wow, you are just spinning this story as fast as your stupid little fingers can type, Q. If you understood what was meant (which you didn't, or just don't care because you don't care about the truth), not many people KNEW that chris brown was an abuser...but he is. It was a surprise to a lot of people. I expect next you're going to play the race card as you did in the other post in which it was irrelevant.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 27, 2009 5:30:52 PM

3. Ernie, this was Nicole's statement:

"Furthermore, Chris Brown has clearly demonstrated that he is "unpredictable" when alone with women, yet ABC had no issue sending Robin Roberts to interview him?"

So the point being that Robin would be in danger of being around Chris Brown because he is "unpredictable" when alone with women because he beat up his girlfriend. How can he be labeled a threat to ALL women by a domestic incident with Rhianna? Now he's psychopath that will attack interviewers simply by being in the room with them? Isn't that the same false kind of judgment that ABC is placing on Adam? It's not about which incident is better or worse, it's about the validity of the JUDGMENTS. BOTH are false.

Posted by: q | Nov 27, 2009 5:57:55 PM

4. They should have jumped at the chance to book Donny Osmond!

Posted by: Vince B. | Nov 27, 2009 7:39:06 PM

5. i think the REAL question on everyone's mind here is, What is Sherri Sheppard going to say about it on Monday's The View? she went on record saying she bought her 15 year old niece's Chris Brown tickets because 'they had talked about the abuse thing with them, and it was done with.' i'm sure she will be totally fine with ABC's decision. remember Adam's performance was so vile to her she had to turn it off... coincidentally, i watched her new show for the first time the other night and i had to turn it off! i thought i was watching a high school play. i could literally see the actors looking for their marks on the floor and them looking for their lines on their hands...

and Tank—yer my man! Q is TOTALLY out of touch, totally whacked in the head on this subject. i'd bet a million bucks that wasn't the first time CB hit Rihanna, and another million she wasn't the first woman he'd hit. but i'm not up tonight for entering the discussion fully, so forget what i just wrote.

Posted by: casey | Nov 27, 2009 8:00:14 PM

6. I can't speak for Nicole, Q, but it seems to me that as "unpredictable" behaviors go, fake suggestive gestures on one live TV show are less offensive than real punches to one woman's face. I think you're taking Nicole's point WAY too literally.

It's not that Chris Brown is going to actually attack his interviewer--it's the ludicrousness of ABC's argument that Adam--a gay performer--is too dangerous for morning TV after a mildly provocative performance (which, once again, harmed no one) while Chris Brown--a straight performer--is safe for morning TV after he's beaten up at least one woman.

Many gay people are simply questioning why ABC finds a gay man who's done nothing remotely criminal less suitable for morning TV than a straight man who's known for bashing his girlfriend. That's the point--it's not really about Robin being in literal danger. It's more like, why are they--and she--giving this criminal a platform to sell music? Are you really not bothered by ABC's double standard?

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 27, 2009 8:03:39 PM

7. Ernie, I never once compared the seriousness of either artists' actions because we all know there is no comparison. Read my original comment again. I said that what ABC was doing was wack bs. So I'm not sure why you would think I was not bothered by it. Nicole's comment seemed like an exagerated dig at Brown and I thought it was unfair. If it was meant to be ironic or purely sarcastic, then I missed it. If so, apologies to Nicole.

Posted by: Q | Nov 27, 2009 10:59:55 PM

8. FIRST of all, this whole Chris Brown & Rihanna thing has absolutely nothing to do with his MUSICAL CAREER. He wasn't beating Rihanna onstage. And it's not like he hit her randomly. It's been said that Rihanna was being just as much of a bitch to him. I'm not justifying his actions by any means, because he WAS wrong. But I'm saying that it has nothing to do with anything. At least HE apologized for it. Lambert refuses to apologize for GOING BEHIND THE NETWORK'S BACK and doing all that shit. And just because GaGa and Janet are all sexed-up pervs doesn't give Adam a reason to be one too. GaGa and Janet can go look like the whores they are all they want to. If GaGa and Janet told Adam to jump off a bridge, would he? No. Adam should be setting a good example for the gay community. Or at least saving his racy performances for later on in his career. Sorry, but this wasn't a very good first impression. He said he didn't want people to think he'd be doing this all the time, that it was just this one performance. Well, that's what you get for making it your FIRST performance. Brilliant career move, Adam. And for all you dumbasses who think ABC is homophobic. Why the fuck would the network have him scheduled to perform on GMA IN THE FIRST PLACE if they're so homophobic? Makes no sense right? Exactly. So quit playing the fucking gay card, dust off your fucking BRAIN and USE IT.

Posted by: gayboixd | Nov 27, 2009 11:07:47 PM

9. Hello Kevin. I didn't see your post. Nice to see you, too. Spinoza? Oy...I could never grasp the full Ethics--parts of it, not the whole thing (and I've read all of it, though...many times). It's one big argument, and once you grasp it, ethical enlightenment, apparently. It's got some coded premises, too. Hard piece to tackle, and I like to keep things simple, so I'm a utilitarian (preference). I don't think he'd condone domestic violence and would be pretty disgusted by chris brown's actions, though...he was a pretty passionate guy when it came to things like that...his friends who were political commentators were butchered by a mob of people who accused them of atheism...and their remains on display with an "animal" sign (for atheism) under them. He had to be physically restrained by people who cared about him because he was going to show that mob who the real animals were.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 28, 2009 12:23:48 AM

10. You know what? I don't really like American Idol.

But guess what? Now I am going to go out and buy Adam Lambert's CD just to give my support. I might hate the music. But who cares. I'm making a statement.

FINALLY a gay young man comes out as he begins his career without claiming his is "bi" like Elton John and George Michael.

TEAM LAMBERT all the way!

Posted by: FunMe | Nov 28, 2009 1:23:50 AM

11. Maybe next they can book R. Kelly to promote a new album of lullabyes and panties for teen girls.

Posted by: SteveDenver | Nov 28, 2009 1:34:59 AM

12. Yeah, let's support the person who doesn't want to be the poster boy for gays. It's nice to know that while you're supporting him, he doesn't want to speak or fight for you. Yay, Team Lambert.

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 28, 2009 3:35:11 AM

13. she hit him first, and Adam sucks

Posted by: Billy | Nov 28, 2009 4:52:32 AM

14. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something...

I saw Lambert's performance, and thought it was a train wreck. I just didn't have any appreciation for it. I thought it lacked anything artistic, and was vulgar, just for attention's sake. To me, just my opinion, it was a big snooze.

So just because he's sometimes gay, I do not feel compelled to feel anything for him. He doesn't represent me, or *any* gay men and women *I* know, and the kiss being censored to me was just a late reaction to a series of stupid censurable crap spewed by his stupid and boorish "performance", and I don't give half a crap about his precious career, or his PR stunts.

Gays need to get over being a target market, and get on with fighting for what really matters; and it ain't Adam Lambert's lame assed, pathetic career.

Posted by: NVTodd | Nov 28, 2009 5:27:50 AM

15. Blurring a gay kiss on TV is blatant homophobic!

I was disgusted by the TV series "V" showing a alien kiss a human;-)

Doesn't the female leader of the Visitors look and walk like the GEICO Gecko?
    I'll financially support Lambert over Brown any day.

Posted by: thepulpit | Nov 28, 2009 10:19:37 AM

16. Oh, Chris Brown wasn't beating Rihanna on stage and she's a bitch anyway. Never mind then. He's cool. As long as you beat people with the cameras off it doesn't count. Thanks for clearing that up, GAYBOIXD. And I'm glad to know that Adam's performance at the AMA's was his FIRST! I guess I was mistaking him for that other gay guy who performed live countless times over an entire season of AI. But I suppose that none of those who watched the AMA's had ever seen that obscure show, AI, so even if they were the same person it wouldn't matter. No one, especially ABC, could have ever predicted that unknown Adam Lambert would like indulge in GAY-friendly innuendo on national TV! Shocking!

P.S. NVTODD, many people who are criticizing the double standards from ABC and CBS didn't like Adam's performance, including myself. It's their handling of it and their ludicrous justifications that are at issue, not Adam's career. It's possible to hate (love, or be indifferent to) Adam's music--or his pocked "completion", whatever that is, DOUG "Troll" BERMAN--and still find their hypocrisy noteworthy.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 28, 2009 12:09:59 PM

17. What about all the female artists who go on stage at these shows who grab a male dancers head and rub it in their crotch while preforming their shows while on tv. They don't get all this much heat about it. It is because hes gay, and people need something to complain about, its simple as that.

Posted by: whatever3 | Nov 28, 2009 1:19:30 PM

18. Great, so now we get to see super pussy punk Chris Brown get all weepy-deepy again as he justifies his violent and abusive behavior. Adam Lambert kisses a man and (maybe ill-advisedly) does a two-second "mock fellatio" routine (happened so fast and it was like--yawn!) So, yeah, ABC, give us an interview with convicted felon and community-service butt-boy Chris Brown. Hey, maybe you can get Whoopi Goldberg on and have her defend Chris' behavior as a "cultural thing" like she did when Michael Vick was caught having illegal dog fights on his property which was all about torturing and abusing dogs. Either way, ABC, it's one more reason not to watch your shitty network.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 28, 2009 2:33:03 PM

19. Comparing Adam Lambert to Chris Brown is about as idiotic as comparing him to Susan Boyle. Pleeeez!

Posted by: coloforadam | Nov 28, 2009 5:06:02 PM

20. I don't understand Adam Lambert. Not that long ago he he hesitated to be on the cover of a popular gay magazine because, apparently, he didn't want to appear "too gay" or whatever. So now he's bitching about being censored for being "in-your-face" gay? He seems confused. Either that, or his PR team are.

Posted by: yogchick | Nov 28, 2009 8:45:48 PM

21. He was not simulating oral sex for christ's sake. He was just hugging the guy, and the guy didn't have time to stand up, that's all. lol.

Posted by: wtdp | Nov 29, 2009 12:25:55 AM

22. MY NAME IS PAUL HALLIWELL AND MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS TXSTUDPAUL@YAHOO.COM

EVERYONE WANTS TO PRETEND TO BE OUTRAGED AT A WOMAN BEING HIT IN ANY FORM. YET IT TAKES TWO TO HAVE A FIGHT. IF CHRIS DID NOT GET OUT OF THE CAR AND WALK AWAY RIHANNA SHOULD HAVE. THIS WAS NOT SOMETHING THAT JUST HAPPENED IT HAD BEEN HAPPING FOR A WHILE AND SOME HOW RIHANNA AGREED TO FORGIVE CHRIS BROWN AND HE HER FOR THE TRANSGRESSIONS. NOW THAT HE STILL HAS TO MAKE A LIVING GIVEN HE HAS MILLIONS SO HIM DOING THIS IS MEANT TO SHARE HIS TALENTS YOU WANNA SHUN HIM YET ACCEPT RIHANNA THOUGH SHE HAS DONE THE SAME THING. IN THE REPORTS I READ SHE RIHANNA WAS JUST ABUSIVE AS CHRIS BROWN BUT NO ONE SPEAKS ABOUT THAT. NOW THE HOMOSEXUAL PERFORMANCE WOW YOU SAD ASS HOMOSEXUALS CRY FOR THIS AND CRY FOR THAT AND YOU COST LIVES I.E. ISAIAH THOMAS, HOMOSEXUAL GROUPS MADE NO CLAMOR ABOUT HIM BEING FIRED AFTER HE FOLLOWED ORDERS DID THE PSA AND APOLOGIZED BUT COMMENTED THAT ISAIAH THOMAS DID MORE FOR THE HOMOSEXUAL COMMUNITY THAN T.J. KNIGHT AND/OR KNIGHTLY. YOU'VE COMPARED BEING HOMOSEXUAL WITH BEING AFRICAN AMERICAN AND EVEN REFERRD TO YOURSELVES AS THE NEW NIGGERS ON THAT BLOCK WELL YOU CAN HIDE BEING HOMOSEXUAL YOU CAN'T HIDE BEING AFRICAN. YOUR LAME ASS ATTEMPT TO CRUSH ANOTHER MAN WILL NOT WORK AS YOU HAVE BEEN SEEN FOR WHAT YOU ARE AS WELL AS RIHANNA, THAT'S RIGHT CRY ON CUE MAKE YOUR VOICE TREMBLE AND SPEAK ABOUT BEING STRONG I FIND THAT REPREHENSIBLE THAT NO ONE HAS POINTED THAT OUT. TO THE HOMOSEXUALS YOU FIND OUT SOMETHING NEW ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOU WANNA BREAK OFF INTO FACTIONS AND DEMAND RIGHTS FOR THIS AND THAT YET ALL THIS THAT YOU ARE DOING IN YOUR ROOMS IN THE CLUBS HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE PAST YOU ARE NOTHING NEW YOU ARE NOTHING VALUABLE WHEN IT COME TO WHICH SIDE YOU STICK IT IN YET THAT IS WHAT YOU FOCUS ON AND HATE IT WHEN IT IS POINTED OUT FOR THE WORLD TO SEE. I DARE NOT MENTION THE RACISM THAT FREQUENTS AND RUNS RAMPANT IN THE QUOTE UNQUOTE GAY COMMUNITY OF THE RAINBOW FLAG. BE OUTRAGE AND UPSET BUT FOCUS YOUR MADNESS AND OUTRAGE BACK TOWARD YOURSELF AND TO YOUR COMMUNITY.

Posted by: PAUL HALLIWELL | Nov 29, 2009 8:44:07 PM