Adam Lambert | Magazines | News

Adam Lambert Responds to OUT Magazine Via Twitter

Screen shot 2009-11-17 at 6.33.17 PM

Adam Lambert responded to OUT magazine editor Aaron Hicklin, who suggested in his editor's letter for the 'OUT 100' issue that Lambert and his handlers, 19 Entertainment, were wary of having Lambert appear on the cover and asked the magazine not to ask certain questions for fear the singer would appear "too gay", a notion that Lambert's interviewer backed up.

Responded Lambert via Twitter: "Dear Aaron, it's def not that deep. Chill! Guess ya gotta get attention for the magazine. U too are at the mercy of the marketing machine. Until we have a meaningful conversation, perhaps you should refrain from projecting your publications' agenda onto my career."

Comments

1. Man there are some self-hating fags out there. "It's ok if he's not out," "It's okay if he doesn't want to label himself as gay (even though he is)," "It's okay if he shits on the community to make a buck." No wonder we can't get shit done with folks like that around. If he was so gay positive he would tell his "handlers" to fuck off.

Posted by: andy | Nov 18, 2009 8:14:43 AM

2. I always just love the hypocritical hate I see in the comments section.
    It does seem as if OUT is praising Lambert with the Top 100 list and then slamming him in that editorial letter.
    That does come off as self serving.
    I fail to see ANYTHING Lambert has done to deserve some of the hateful comments some have posted. Comments, that if directed at some of the comment writers, would be considered hate crimes.
    Some of you act as if Lambert, and his career, are being forced upon you. You act just like the straight people who say having gay people in their neighborhood are going to destroy their lives.
    Ignorant and loathsome. With a side of self hating.
    Towleroad? I love the site but man, many of your readers are just plain hypocrites.
    GO AHEAD! Slam me with some hate comments now. Bird's gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and some bitchy, lonely, self hating fags gotta slam anything and everything. Can't stop nature!

Posted by: JimmyD | Nov 18, 2009 8:57:18 AM

3. PUH-LEEEEE-UZZZZZ!

Posted by: Perry | Nov 18, 2009 10:13:57 AM

4. Must say I love the comments about the album cover!i MEAN, YOU WANT GAY...GOOD GOD! ha- I think the only concern any of us should have is if the album is any good and worth listening too. Time will tell about all the rest...

Posted by: chris | Nov 18, 2009 10:27:53 AM

5. What I don't understand is how people can defend Lambert's management for not wanting him to appear too gay on the cover of OUT and not see the hypocrisy involved when Adam's album cover is "gayer" than anything I've ever seen in OUT Magazine. Ever.

This is the part of this argument that does not compute.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 18, 2009 10:32:48 AM

6. That editor letter was patronizing to extreme. Gay community? Like there is united gay community -yeh really. Barbie dolls? Insulting. bah bah bah. Got what he wanted: attention. And lost several readers. Soured Out mag for me.

Posted by: Janica | Nov 18, 2009 11:13:58 AM

7. And prissiness indeed. Some of the comments on this site are like the editor's letter: "How dare he be himself? So gay? Not gay enough? Not doing it MY WAY? So I am holding my breath for him to fail so there." Some are so eager to feel superior LOL. Some sore posters here. I plan to enjoy his music and follow his career and ignore for now on the cattiness of this "one big gay community". Ignoring that Adam IS being open about his sexuality BUT putting his music as first. Since it is his right to do. How many of us after all go to work and declare first thing in the morning: good morning just reminding you all I am gay, let's go to work?

Posted by: Janica | Nov 18, 2009 11:21:46 AM

8. "he doesn't want to support the gay community so why should we support him"-- are you fucking kidding me? It's ppl like you in the gay community that Adam discusses as pretty much being annoying. WHY WOULD HE PUT HIS TIME INTO GAY RIGHTS??--Just because he's gay? IS THAT WHAT HE WANTS TO BE ABOUT?? N-O So
    get that through your thick skull! Build a fucking bridge and get over it.
    As per the people who say they're Adam's 'fans'..but are willing to believe this douchebag editor over Adam. LEAVE...Honestly. Adam doesn't want you as a fan neways!!

Posted by: Jo | Nov 18, 2009 11:30:45 AM

9. OUT Magazine was, once upon a time, a worth while publication. Now it's just a magazine marketed to the "we are better, more exclusive gays, than you." Constant articles about how fabulous you "should" be and how you "should" act.

Step aside OUT.

I'd side with an ass kicker like Adam Lambert any day. He has literally scratched his way to being an artist and stck to who he was all the way through the making of Idol and his first album.

OUT is just stirring the pot to make sure they get noticed in a day and age when they are a fading medium.

Maybe that's why I read Towleroad and only glance at OUT on the new stand. It's not worth paying for.

Posted by: sfpromo | Nov 18, 2009 11:41:33 AM

10. Adam must wake up every day and wonder who is not satisfied with him now. Why can't he at least get a little respect for the amzingly honest, open interview in the magazine? It's been one trauma after another for this poor guy since we first saw his face, and this response of his today just shows, again, his incredible grace under pressure. Thank God for his strength and confidence.

Posted by: wtdp | Nov 18, 2009 11:57:05 AM

11. "i think glamerace's response was pretty classy although i do take exception to that missplaced apostrophe"

It's not a misplaced apostrophe. The company has two publications. ;)

Posted by: Peaches | Nov 18, 2009 12:01:15 PM

12. Liamb - are you really Adam? You sure defend him enough.....

Posted by: steve | Nov 18, 2009 12:21:25 PM

13. OUT chose to use his image on the cover and attack in in the same issue - what could be more exploitative of Lambert? OUT is the shameful party here - undermining someone who has brought a lot of positive attention to gays. Lambert certainly has a career and one that will last. It didn't begin with AI. How any of you can think Lambert is the one not supporting gays is ridiculoud. He is the one on the cover who didn't say anything negative about anyone until he was taken advantage of.
    Great talent, and a fine gay man - he gets my support. OUT had an agenda in exploiting him from the git go. Sickens me.

Posted by: JH | Nov 18, 2009 1:44:03 PM

14. WOW sure are some snarky comments about Adam who is just standing up for his own rights as a human being when someone else (Hicklin) made the matter public.

Adam has every right to respond - and he did so eloquently I might add. I am glad he isn't going to just let people roll over him, no matter who they are. He just wants to sing.

Posted by: Rocker _Girl | Nov 18, 2009 1:44:21 PM

15. The cover of what? A dead and irrelevant rag no thinking queer reads...no way. Group photo dear...let's spread the blame on that thinking ship.

Posted by: Malo | Nov 18, 2009 2:46:36 PM

16. oops! for, not on...

Posted by: Malo | Nov 18, 2009 2:48:06 PM

17. This reminds me of the time that twenty minutes before I was to interview Ann-Margret for the cover of a gay publication her obviously gay publicist called me and suggested that I not ask her about having a gay following because, as he put it, "she is a very modest lady." I reminded him that she was touring the country playing a whore in Bob Mackey gowns but that I would save those questions for last in the event that she had a problem with them. The interview went well and she had no problem talking about her gay fans and what they mean to her. She even got choked up when I told her that my late father was a huge fan of hers and that he would be very impressed that I was interviewing her.
    Sometimes handlers and PR flacks that are gay can be the biggest asshats of them all when it comes to their clients talking to the gay press.

Posted by: WickedLilTown | Nov 18, 2009 3:58:31 PM

18. El Camino writes: "No good can come of this. Hopefully they'll all calm their asses down. Go for a walk, paint the bathroom, toast a bagel. Find a better battle."

Amen. Thanks for making my day with your posting, El Camino! We've got dangerous,crazy-ass Sarah Palin all over our damn TVs again, and we're spending time eating our own. Priorities, people.

Posted by: Hoya George | Nov 18, 2009 4:16:05 PM

19. OMG. i luv luv luvvv adam!! so HOT. that mag is stupiddddddd.

Posted by: chuck | Nov 18, 2009 5:37:24 PM

20. Adam, Stick with Rolling Stone if the gay press can't be professional. Great response, and SHAAAAAAAME on OUT Magazine. You don't put your business in the street, IDIOT!

Posted by: Harris of Hollywood | Nov 18, 2009 6:16:36 PM

21. OUT is so "out" that they're already "OVER".

Posted by: NSFW | Nov 18, 2009 6:47:19 PM

22. After reading some of the comments, I'm going to agree with something quite a few people have mentioned - at the moment, there really isn't a collective "gay community" outside the one characteristic that we all share (that, err, we're gay).

That being said, I second my statement on that Adam is what he claims to be - an entertainer. Like he said in the interview (for those that actually read it), "I'm doing the best I fucking can." All he wants is to be seen as an entertainer. Whether he's doing the best he can or not is a a matter of personal opinion. How "gay" or "straight" he comes off is not meant to be the issue.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 18, 2009 6:52:43 PM

23. Who is Adam Lambert? Sorry, I'm more into Rock & Roll and most other types of music except for what passes for pop these days.

Posted by: johnozed | Nov 18, 2009 8:39:49 PM

24. Uhhh... who is he? Is he one of those New Moon actors? Why is anybody supposed to care about this?

Posted by: Joehio | Nov 19, 2009 12:52:06 AM

25. JOEHIO - what rock you been buried under most of this year? You really don't know who Adam Lambert is? I have to suspect that you are being sarcastic because you are sick of hearing about him. If you are gay, then on this matter of the OUT magazine and Adam's response to the open letter the Editor wrote to him, you are "supposed" to care very much- the whole gay rights movement is counting on him so he better not mess up. If you don't care then you are probably a pussy, corporate bitch, sell-out, and probably not really gay enough either.

Posted by: GODSAKE | Nov 19, 2009 10:19:10 AM