Adam Lambert | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Adam Lambert Performs Mock Fellatio at the AMAs

Lambert

Adam Lambert set out to shock at the American Music Awards last night with a performance that was more "Let's Give 'Em Something to Talk About" than "For Your Entertainment", keeping the cameramen on their toes while bouncing between dancers and band members to perform a mock fellatio on the former, and a spit-swapping exercise on the latter. Lambert's pitchy voice certainly played second fiddle to the stunts.

Lambert told CNN the man-on-man kiss happened "in the moment".

Said Lambert: "Part of what I love about being a live performer is that sometimes you just are in the moment and sometimes things just happen...Adrenaline is a crazy, crazy, crazy feeling. Some of the things I love most about performing is when you're up there and all of the sudden you just have these feelings, this rush that comes over you...I do feel like there's a bit of a double standard in the entertainment community, on television, on radio. I feel like women performers have been pushing the envelope, especially, for the past 20 years. And all of the sudden a male does it and everybody goes 'Oh, we can't show that on TV.' For me, that's a form of discrimination and a double standard. And that's too bad."

Watch the performance and CNN interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Lambert2

Comments

1. What a talentless screeching little hack.
    I'm embarassed for queers everywhere by this little mess.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 23, 2009 10:47:55 AM

2. Loved the performance! Adam is doing what he wants and I for one, am loving it. Big success=big risks.

Posted by: javo | Nov 23, 2009 10:55:46 AM

3. It was atrocious. I think it actually hurts the gay community to have this guy with his S&M act on ABC Primetime. I could barely watch I was so mortified. I've already read one comment somewhere by some idiot saying "this brings out the conservative in me. I want equality and all, but someone has to stand up for common decency" or some rediculous shit. For the half brained out there who can apparently be swayed on gay rights by some raunchy American Idol runner up, this just scared them further away. I can almost hear them thinking "OMG people become gay and suddenly everything DOES turn into and S&M pride fest!" This probably worked just as well as any Yes on 1 commerical with the "gayness will be taught to your children in school" shit in it.

As for the performance itself, the sex stuff was over the top but moreso, it was just tacky and awful. The singing and music wasn't even good. The guy has talent, he just seems to lack taste.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 23, 2009 11:04:54 AM

4. I'm all for same-sex kissing, but he's randomly kissing a guy on his first major TV appearance that's also occurring around a bad song with hollow gestures meant to shock...he just came off as a bad singer (which he's not) and a big amateur (which he still is). It was so forced...it was painfully bad. It's a shame his takeaway from this will be, "People just can't handle me!" when really a large part of why he rubbed people the wrong way was just that his performance sucked. It definitely did bring out the homophobia in people, though...reading Tweets was depressing.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 23, 2009 11:09:11 AM

5. BTW, Adam, sometimes less is more. You have a nice voice. Discover the power of restraint.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 23, 2009 11:12:21 AM

6. I can't tell what's more over the top - Adam's performance or Wes' comment. Seriously.

Posted by: Jai | Nov 23, 2009 11:23:51 AM

7. This is the same man that was concerned about doing the cover of OUT because he didn't want to come off as "too gay"?

REALLY?

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 23, 2009 11:43:31 AM

8. I love Adam Lambert, but this just wasn't that interesting. I laughed. Repeatedly. However, I think he makes an interesting point with this performance: specifically, that he is an eyeliner wearing, penis-sucking, Burning Man going dude kissing homo singing a song about topping the bejeezus out of someone. And he won't be switching that up or changing it out for anyone.

I was disappointed in the vocal, but love the song. I'm interested to see what he's going to do next...

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Nov 23, 2009 11:45:20 AM

9. Yowch! I hated this...this... well whatever you call it, I hated it! The hates not partucularly there because of the stage thingy, but the *singing* was horrible! Ew! Do they even have handy wipes for the ears?

And BTW, kisses and fellatio aside, why is nobody (straight or gay,) having a hissy about the fondling of the girl who was hanging above the chair when Adam is down stage before he goes and kisses the keyboardist? Wasn't that nasty too? Maybe he does have a point about the double standard.

Still though, ewwww to the (w)hole thing! IMPO

Posted by: bearyl | Nov 23, 2009 12:13:31 PM

10. Sigh. Perhaps I'm showing my age, but my preference is for raw talent, a great voice, and a good song. Is all of this nonsense to make us forget about the absence of those things?

Posted by: KJ | Nov 23, 2009 12:23:18 PM

11. Also, the man is WHITE! They must stop painting him with that weird orange bronzer.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Nov 23, 2009 12:28:57 PM

12. @Zeke, yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Overall, that was a horrific performance. I don't know what the problem is, but those vocals were totally off, the choreography, such that it was, was totally self-indulgent and the whole thing was too over-the-top.

And I agree, the kiss was no big deal, but the fellatio, didn't belong on prime-time.

Posted by: DR | Nov 23, 2009 12:29:35 PM

13. Most of thes reviews/comment sound like they are coming from old bitter queens. Regardless what you think of him or his performance, You got to give this non political gay man some props for doing what he did on ABC AMA awards. He simulated oral sex with a man and made out with a guy too on national TV!
    I am getting bored with the whole OUT thing. Not every gay person is going to be political. This guy is trying to start a career to be an entertainer not a political activist who sings. Give him a break.

Posted by: DairyQueen | Nov 23, 2009 12:46:06 PM

14. That boy has jumped the shark - 'Bigger is better' only goes so far. And simulated oral, regardess of sex, is pretty lame and tasteless.

Posted by: jack | Nov 23, 2009 12:53:45 PM

15. He generates as much heat as a dead Eskimo at the bottom of a frozen lake. Wack ass music. Wack ass dancers. Wack ass vocals. Fucking awful!
    And yet gay media will heap tons of undue praise on him simply because he is gay. What a joke!

Posted by: Q | Nov 23, 2009 12:55:55 PM

16. Adam's statements about a double standard are true. Go back and watch Janet Jackson's opening medley. At one point, she reaches from behind and grabs one of the male dancers crotch and he spins around and puts his face in her crotch as he moves his head around. Haven't heard a peep about that. However, a gay man 3hours later does it and it's "shocking."

That being said, despite the off-pitch vocals and the very busy set he performed on, it is THE performance everyone is talking about, so he did something right

Posted by: Rolph | Nov 23, 2009 1:33:37 PM

17. Q, I don't think Out will agree to heap on the praise. But as for me, I really could care less about him or his antics and his screaching since he will not even offer an opinion on gay rights issues. Speak up for your rights and those of others in your community! No need ot be a spokesperson or messiah of sorts just be willing to answer questions asked of you and don't worry if the interview is too gay! Good god what a joke he is.

Posted by: Rann | Nov 23, 2009 1:40:27 PM

18. nice to have the current face of gay America entertaining himself on the gutter level

this is fucked up on multiple levels

but i suppose it will be heralded as THE milestone in breaking down the walls of quasi non-specific, non-politically affiliated, non-labeled group sex/sexuality & bringing it out to mainstream America... in that he's a pioneer i suppose

the Liza Minnelli/Heat Miser get-up is just icing on the cake & the interview verifying that he has licked pussy just makes it all so authentic

oh well, at least Kelly Clarkson was worth watching

Posted by: steve | Nov 23, 2009 1:41:11 PM

19. Saw a blurb in "people" about him breaking up with his boyfriend, but this is my FIRST TIME seeing him perform or listening to his "music"! About a minute into the clip of the AMA's I thought "He's going to be on Broadway in a year or so" Glad to see other people agree. It was a mediocre performance and anything "shocking" he did has already been done and BETTER by female performers like Madonna and Britney!

Posted by: HankQ | Nov 23, 2009 1:44:33 PM

20. GAGA did not sing live on Bad Romance sorry to tell you. You see it at 3/4 mark when her head is down. BECAUSE SHE'S DANCING. Of course she didnt have pitch problems PLAYING THE PIANO FOR HERSELF on speechless. wtf. The voice you hear during the kiss is Monte Pittman the guitarist and background vocal who drowned Lambert out and was off key at the beginning of the pitch issue when he started the harmonies. @1:30 or so. Overall there were many pitchy issues last night this one was the most obvious. Lambert needed to remove his ear piece but there was too much going on. Bravo for LIVE SINGING that takes chances and embodies the spirit of rock and roll. And again, albeit a nice adrenaline filled f.u. message to Hicklin, he is not concerned over America's opinion of how he "should" behave.
    Gaga -1 Lambert +2

Posted by: illusion | Nov 23, 2009 2:05:56 PM

21. I love that man. Yes Adam, you are it. Buying your CD for everybody this holiday...

Posted by: nalo | Nov 23, 2009 2:14:26 PM

22. I realize I'm an old fogey, but I have to say I preferred music before it became a visual medium...

Posted by: BobN | Nov 23, 2009 2:17:16 PM

23. Grawl!! Why all the hate. Projecting much aren't we? Just to tell you, from an outsiders perspective, you all sound like bitter hens who are simply jealous of the guy... It is clear Adam intent was to show the Bowie/glam rock influence. I don't think that it is fair to expect him fit into whatever pre-conceived mold gays and straights have prepared for him. He is certainly a box of chocolates, and he is not the typical arrogant narcissist most of the the other hot gay guys can be. I completely agree with him about the double standard. As I straight woman, having to witness constant references to how lesbian (bisexual) sex or FMF menage a trois are what guys find attractive. It felt misogynistic and a tad humiliating, and the Adam comes along and gives us ladies (and non-bitter gay guys) something to titillate us and to meke straight men feel uncomfortable and inadequate. In addition, what do you old farts look like to critisize his looks!!!
    Ok, so he is not built like Jeff Stryker at his prime (although he seems to be well endowed where it matters,) but he still looks hotter than the average gay male, and I live in South Beach so I've seen what the higher end of the spectrum regarding desired gay guys look like. So if everything goes downhill from there, Adam is in pretty good standing. He is no bear and he is not a flaming twink, and he is not a butch jock for that matter, he is a David Bowie or a Lou Reed without the addiction. In fact, he gives me the vibe that he is a somewhat versatile top. He is also very youthfull, whereas most of the "accepted" gay guys in the public eye are older and boring or in the closet (the goes for Ellen too.) I always liked Adam, though I hate American Idol. He is in a different breed than Morrisey, in the sense that he has an air of irony, fun and dark humor versus papa mo' who is all British melancholy. I will also say that David Bowie was quite cheesy and weird at the beginning of his career but found his footing and ways to embrace different personas at appropriate times. Furthermore, I listened to his record at lenght at a website, and the two incredibly good songs in the whole album where the ones written by him.

Posted by: Bitch | Nov 23, 2009 2:52:45 PM

24. My kids could've been watching. I could give a shit about the kiss, but the rest of that low class performance didn't belong on network TV. And everytime he's criticized he cries discrimination or homophobia. Get over yourself, Adam.

Posted by: ChicagoSam | Nov 23, 2009 3:33:05 PM

25. Shocking? No, Madonna already did it. Twice! The performance itself and his vocals were off, and I'm a fan. The shocker to me this morning was reading that the person he kissed was a guy. A group of us watched the show and thought he had kissed a girl!!!

Posted by: Milan | Nov 23, 2009 3:33:31 PM