Gay Marriage | Maggie Gallagher | New York | News

Watch: Marriage Equality Debate at Hofstra University with NOM's Maggie Gallagher and MENY's Cathy Marino-Thomas

Meny

Hofstra University hosted a debate on marriage equality between National Organziation for Marriage (NOM) President Maggie Gallagher and Marriage Equality New York Board President Cathy Marino-Thomas last week.

Said Gallagher to Marino-Thomas: "[Your relationship with your parter] may be better, but it's not a marriage. It may be better than a marriage. It's probably better than my marriage, to hear you talk about it. I wouldn't talk about my marriage in such glowing terms."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hey, Maggie, your husband probably wouldn't speak of your marriage in such glowing terms either.

Posted by: David T | Nov 2, 2009 9:33:45 AM

2. The queen in the center is there to prevent the gay woman from beating the shit out of Gallagher.

Maggie can disapprovingly shake her head no all she wants when Cathy Marino-Thomas is speaking. Gallagher's side IS filled with lies and the same ole homophobia we've seen and heard for years.

Posted by: Jake | Nov 2, 2009 10:59:59 AM

3. It's even more annoying when they admit "their" marriages aren't great. They're discriminating against us for the "principle" of the thing, then they say the "principle" isn't that great anyway... So why don't these fundies just shut up and get a life? Why are they bothering? Answer: because they're stupid and full of hate they need to direct SOMEWHERE.

Posted by: Donovan | Nov 2, 2009 11:01:48 AM

4. The most telling line is the last one Maggie says: "I think that even if the government of NY says its a 'marriage' I think its not a marriage..."

No matter WHAT you point out logically, emotionally, religiously, philosophically...people like here will NOT concede our rights. Take the rights!! Get in court and force the rights from their clinched hands and make sure we all are on the same level as American citizens.

Posted by: princely54 | Nov 2, 2009 11:01:50 AM

5. (I meant 'people like HER')

Posted by: princely54 | Nov 2, 2009 11:07:19 AM

6. Worth noting that Maggie's husband didn't even show up at the 'opposite marriage celebration' that she organized a few months back. A bunch of hateful idiots renewing their vows and celebrating marriage....and her husband didn't even bother to show....very telling.

Posted by: Gregus | Nov 2, 2009 11:39:10 AM

7. She can think the earth is flat, too, if she wants to. Move on.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Nov 2, 2009 12:08:03 PM

8. Sad sad sad....that woman's life is a sad...not tragic just sad.

I'm ok with people's bodies but she is obviously an emotional eater, she is fat and a bigot, her marriage is a sad one...that even her husband is embarrased of her.

I'm sure to F*&K her he puts a pillow cover over her head.

Posted by: Bosie | Nov 2, 2009 12:09:48 PM

9. I'd say Ms Marino-Thomas handed Maggie her ass.

Posted by: Marc | Nov 2, 2009 12:53:59 PM

10. Ha! Not only was Gallagher owned throughout, but right at the end she basically unraveled all her haphazardly constructed lies. She came right out and compared Marino-Thomas' remarks with the basis for a happy marriage! I mean, if those few sentences were heard outside of this unfortunate context, you might think it was too friends finally coming to an agreement of what marriage is!

Weird.

Posted by: Joey | Nov 2, 2009 2:19:28 PM

11. Maggie: Is it even considered a debate when everything you say can be so easily discounted?

C'mon. Give a real solid reason other 'you don't think something is right.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Nov 2, 2009 3:41:24 PM

12. I had the honor of working with Cathy during the NEM. I am so proud of her at this moment!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Nov 2, 2009 5:13:02 PM

13. So if Maggie thinks the biggest purpose of a marriage is to see that kids are raised by their two biological parents, then why is she married to someone who is not the biological co-parent of her child? Why should she have the right to call hers a "marriage" (with all the rights that term entails) when her own marriage does not even fit her own definition of a marriage?

As usual, the bigots who want to withhold rights from others seem to use their criticism of others as a way of projecting their own guilt about needing to pretend to believe something which doesn't fit with their own contradictory actions.

They always seem to subconsciously be saying, "Well, maybe my own marriage goes against everything I believe in, but at least I'm not gay like you, so I have something to feel superior about."

Posted by: GregV | Nov 2, 2009 7:43:45 PM

14. @gregv: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 3, 2009 10:51:23 AM