Barack Obama | Chai Feldblum | News

BigGayDeal.com

Wingnuts Target Lesbian EEOC nominee Chai Feldblum

Chai

Obama's Equal Employment Opportunity Commission nominee Chai Feldblum's hearings are scheduled for this Thursday, and according to the Victory Fund, Republican Senators and right-wing religious wingnuts (more specifically the Family Research Council's Tony Perkins) are preparing to unleash "Armageddon" to foil the nomination.

Feldblum would be the first openly LGBT person to serve on that commission.

Says the Victory Fund: Feldblum

"They plan to paint her as an anti-religious extremist whose confirmation would threaten religious liberty. Feldblum, a Georgetown Law School professor and longtime legal advocate for the LGBT community, helped to draft language for the original Employment Nondiscrimination Act.  One of many Web sites dedicated to her defeat laid out the right’s argument against her confirmation:

Feldblum intends to use her position of influence as EEOC commissioner to force private institutions to follow her radical vision of society, through the enforcement of aggressive and intrusive employment non-discrimination laws.

She is a master at using the language of moral imperatives to further her agenda.

Feldblum is a lesbian activist who supports government recognition of gay marriage as a way to convey approval of gay relationships and homosexuality in general. She has also argued for the equality of “polyamorous” relationships and almost any conceivable sexual relationship to traditional marriage–a position squarely out of line with American tradition, principles, and the mainstream of public opinion.

Far from believing that government should not be involved in private relationships, she is a champion of government interference in moral and religious traditions where they intersect with her personal crusade.

The Family Research Council has edited a video from a forum she appeared at for the group, and heavily edited it to make Feldblum's views appear radical.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

You can see the original video and how they edited it over at Good As You.

Comments

1. Chai Feldblum is one of the signatories to the viewpoint of beyondmarriage.org. I personally find the position of beyondmarriage.org to be very troubling -- far more radical than I could ever be comfortable with as a happily married gay man. I have had several heated discussions with some of the signatories of this -- many of which are law professors really on the fringe of even liberal thought on these matters.

I'm absolutely not defending Tony Perkins (who could?), but Chai Feldman's positions are not unassailable even from a very mainstream liberal prospective. I do not, however, think this makes her unqualified for the EEOC.

Posted by: Anonymous | Nov 18, 2009 11:57:44 AM

2. "They plan to paint her as an anti-religious extremist..."

As Liz Lemon might say, "Just say Jewish--this is taking forever."

Posted by: thomasina | Nov 18, 2009 12:11:21 PM

3. Lani Guinier, anyone? Her positions on racial equality were wildly distorted by the right. The Clinton White House, showing the collective balls of a hummingbird, withdrew her nomination as assistant AG for civil rights.

@ ANONYMOUS
    I went to beyondmarriage.org and read the full statement. If that's fringe to you, I'd like to know what ideological pole you're on.

Posted by: MikeMick | Nov 18, 2009 12:16:35 PM

4. How about

"Committed, loving households in which there is more than one conjugal partner."

Sorry.. that's more than I'm comfortable with! And I believe that 99% of Americans would be uncomfortable with this also. beyondmarriage.org is about throwing out marriage completely, rather than expanding it to include other committed couples.

Posted by: Anonymous | Nov 18, 2009 12:30:08 PM

5. Hey "Anonymous" AKA Troll: if you are SO concerned about more than one person loving each other in a committed relationship perhaps you should, oh, mind your own business? The fact is: marriage is a contract: ultimately polyamorous unions will be recognized. If that makes you uncomfortable then you can not have one. How exactly would this affect YOUR marriage? Are you sure you're not Maggie Gallagher in disguise? Most Americans aren't comfortable with marriage equality for gays and lesbians but that doesn't make them right - your argument is full of FAIL.

Posted by: ZnSD | Nov 18, 2009 2:04:09 PM

6. When I was in law school I had the pleasure of working with Chai at the Task Force (she was a consultant, I was an intern). She is incredibly intelligent and very talented. She is very committed to improving the relationship between employers and employees. She would be an asset to the EEOC. Regardless of what you think of her stance on polyamory, we should support her nomination.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 18, 2009 2:10:03 PM

7. "A master of using the language of moral imperatives"... Jew, Jew, Jew.

Thomasina (and Liz Lemon) just beat me to it.

Posted by: HW in SoCal | Nov 18, 2009 3:59:02 PM

8. I'm a former student of hers, and I realize this is the wrong audience, but I hope you all can spread the message.

Chai is hardly anti-religion. Forgetting for a moment that she herself is Jewish, she advocates on behalf of Catholic Charities USA for federal legislation that is favorable to their cause: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/Clinics/flc/ccusa/documents.html

Selecting her as their advocate should speak volumes about her. Her taking them on as a client should do the same.

She is also *exceedingly* moderate. There is truly nothing radical about her stances or opinions. (She works with HRC for Gods sakes!) She wants to win over supporters with a long term strategy that focuses on the moral worth of gay couples.

I don't understand the first's commenters objections to beyondmarriage
    First, it's moderate, but progressive. Second, it is practical.

I don't want to debate the merits of the petition with you, but I am curious as to how her signing this would even call into question your support for her on the EEOC

Posted by: former student | Nov 18, 2009 4:44:20 PM

9. Progressive and moderate? Progressive moderate... Let's all endeavor to use words, please.

chai's tea. Is this antisemitism? Hmmm...if I had to guess, I'd say it's more homophobic given that I can't conceive of the responses being different if her religious/cultural background were.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 18, 2009 5:05:46 PM

10. @tank What??? I have no idea what "Let's all endeavor to use words, please."
    Progressive in that she wants to move things forwards for gay rights. Moderate in the sense that her advocacy is extremely tempered and limited.
    The two words are neither contradictory nor invented, so I have no idea what you are attempting to say about my post.

Posted by: former student | Nov 18, 2009 5:18:28 PM

11. I don't think we're using words here when we couple progressive with moderate. One can want "move things forward for gay rights," and not be a progressive. Her sense of advocacy is extremely tempered and limited? C'mon, that's arbitrary.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 18, 2009 5:34:36 PM

12. Perkins wouldn't be projecting, now would he?

Let's see...

Perkins intends to use his position of influence to force private institutions to follow his extreme vision of society, through the enforcement of aggressive and intrusive employment discrimination laws.

He is a master at using the language of moral imperatives to further his agenda.

Perkins is a Christian activist who supports government suppression of gay marriage as a way to convey disapproval of gay relationships and homosexuality in general. He has also argued against the equality of “polyamorous” relationships and almost any conceivable sexual relationship to protect traditional marriage–a position in line with American tradition, but fading from American principles and the mainstream of public opinion.

Far from believing that government should not be involved in private relationships, he is a champion of government interference in moral and religious traditions where they intersect with his personal crusade.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 19, 2009 9:02:02 PM