Crime | New York | News

UPDATE: Bouncers Assault Gay Man for Dancing with Another Man at Nightspot in Queens

Guadalajara

UPDATED BELOW

A gay man was assaulted by bouncers at a Mexican bar/restaurant in Queens after he got up from his seat to dance with his partner on Saturday.

The NY Post reported on Thursday:

"Tarlach MacNiallais, 47, was punched and kicked and had a chair smashed over his head in the attack by two security guards at the Guadalajara De Noche restaurant in Jackson Heights at 12:43 a.m. Saturday, police said. The attack is being treated as a possible hate crime. '[The bouncer] said, 'You can't do that here, this is not a gay bar,' MacNiallais told cops. 'I said I have just as much right as anyone else.' MacNiallais -- spokesman for the Irish Lesbian and Gay Organization, which is best known for its annual fight to march in the St. Patrick's Day Parade -- said the bouncers wrestled him to the ground and dragged him away from other dancers before they attacked him. He was treated for cuts and bruises at Elmhurst Hospital Center."

Maciallais MacNiallais gives a much more thorough account of what happened to the Irish Voice. He says he went to the bar with his partner Juan, who is Mexican and four of Juan's brothers:

"When a song that MacNiallais liked came on, he suggested to his partner that they dance. They got up, and MacNiallais led his partner to the floor. This simple act signaled to onlookers that they were probably gay...But before they had even got started, a man, described as an employee of the nightclub, came over to the couple and said: 'You can’t do that in here. This is not a gay bar.' ... 'To be quite honest I thought he was joking. I didn’t even look at him,' continued  MacNiallais. 'I turned around and said, ‘We have as much right to dance as anyone else.’' Immediately, MacNiallais was yanked from behind. He was thrown against a wall and then punched repeatedly on the face and chest. 'They knocked me to the ground. They started kicking me. They were shouting ‘this is not a gay bar’ over and over. I didn’t fight back because I’m not a violent person. But I did think I wasn’t going to let them throw me out. I did have a right to be there. If they had asked me to leave I would have, but they didn’t do that. Instead they beat me and physically dragged me to the ground.' ...According to MacNiallais, the two employees were laughing as they assaulted him. One of them stomped on MacNiallais’ head with his foot, then picked up a chair and hit him, again on the head. Two of MacNiallais’ partner’s brothers stood up and persuaded other customers not to join in the assault."

The incident was partially recorded on a cell phone. Read more about the incident HERE.

Comments

1. you gotta be f'in kiddin me

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Dec 10, 2009 10:08:25 AM

2. Wasn't Queens the one borough where almost all the Democratic senate members voted against marriage equality? What's going on in Queens, and how did it get so homophobic?

Posted by: Keith | Dec 10, 2009 10:33:36 AM

3. Archie's been dead for years.

Posted by: Marc C | Dec 10, 2009 10:47:57 AM

4. boycott and protest!

Posted by: Marc | Dec 10, 2009 10:52:37 AM

5. Why would any gay man frequent such a sesspool of an establishment? Look at it... it's revolting.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 10, 2009 10:57:19 AM

6. It is revolting, and it's apparently filled with trash. Usually I take the bouncer's side...but if this is true (and I've no reason to doubt it), these bouncers deserve customers who carry knives and use teeth on noses and ears...and who know how to gouge an eye out with a thumb.

Posted by: TANK | Dec 10, 2009 11:02:34 AM

7. Jackson Heights? no. A sloppy mexican restaurant called Guadalajara De Noche? no.

Posted by: Ty | Dec 10, 2009 11:17:55 AM

8. I hope the restaurant is prepared for a civil suit and the possible loss of their business.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Dec 10, 2009 11:40:32 AM

9. Jackson Heights and other Queens neighborhoods have lots of great restaurants. This crappy roachtrap is not one of them. I don't know why anyone would end up there. There are lots of gay bars on those same blocks of Roosevelt so I guess this place was defending it's macho turf

Posted by: hall | Dec 10, 2009 11:41:00 AM

10. FYI This is the same kind of place:

Posted by: hall | Dec 10, 2009 11:49:24 AM

11. Dude, it's called pepper spray. Carry it when going out at night. Homophobes deserve a face full of it, we have to fight back this nonsence !

Posted by: ty | Dec 10, 2009 11:59:09 AM

12. Thing number one: he is not a gay activist. The New York Post called him a "gay activist" to imply that he looks for confrontation. This is not true.

Thing number two: you can defend your "macho turf" without resorting to horrific violence or hitting someone head with a chair.

Thing number three: if you attack a gay person because his or her sexuality is not to your liking you are, in fact, committing a hate crime.

Posted by: elcamino | Dec 10, 2009 12:21:07 PM

13. We need to educate ourselves - and not "blame the victim" - but make sure ALL LGBTQ folks realize how they are being extremely naive and almost "reckless" if they are OUT in public without some kind of weapon. You esp. HAVE to be able to identify when you are entering "dangerous territory" and be prepared.

America in 2009 is NOT safe for all gays 24/7.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Dec 10, 2009 12:56:04 PM

14. Yes I agree. Not blaming MacNiallais. As a neighbor of this place. It is a weird restaurant to pick not only for its clientele but also its health code violations. If a business has a "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" policy that shouldn't involve a beating with a chair. I'm sure we've all been annoyed by a certain kind of straight couple making out on the dancefloor at a gay club, we wouldn't resort to beating the crap out of them.

Posted by: hall | Dec 10, 2009 1:20:36 PM

15. I walk by this place sometimes on my way home from work. The picture more or less captures its "hole in the wall" ambience. There are several of these types of restaurants up and down Roosevelt Ave. and 37th Ave. They're popular with Mexican guys as a place to go hang out, eat some home-style food, pay to dance with house-ladies, maybe take a date, dance and listen to Mexi-pop, and also get drunk, very drunk. It's not unusual for those dives to have bouncers. Those Mexican boys can get pretty rowdy on a Saturday night. Mexi-boys are a pretty homophobic bunch so I can't figure out why that guy would go into such a place and think he could dance with his boyfriend with no problems. Even so, the bouncers were wrong and I hope he sues that place. The City of NY doesn't investigate those places like they should either. They're unsanitary as hell and I wouldn't eat food from there if I was starving to death.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 10, 2009 1:29:13 PM

16. The Bouncer was wrong, and since they took it to the physical level, there should be a lawsuit. BUT...

If a beautiful woman gets shit faced drunk, and goes down a dark alley in the middle of the night by herself, and gets raped. Yes, teh rapist is in the wrong, but what in the hell was she doing there in the first place?

If everyone starts trying to make a point by going into places where gays are not welcome, to bait homophobic reactions and violence, you're taking away from the resources to combat discrimination in places where we sould be able to go (The Eagle/Atlanta, The Rainbow/Fort Worth, Marriage) without violence. Does that make sense?

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Dec 10, 2009 2:57:07 PM

17. I'm sorry, but gay men shouldn't have to segregate themselves to show a little PDA. He has every right to go where he wants and this is going to make a beautiful lawsuit. I hope he sues the pants off these wankers.

On the converse, the next time a straight couple comes into a gay bar and show each other affection, are we supposed to break chairs over their heads? This is just infantile logic and it needs to be made an example of.

Posted by: g_whiz | Dec 10, 2009 3:40:48 PM

18. SUE! SUE! SUE! The hoodrats out of business. Guadalajara De Noche restaurant will hopefully be out of business for good and realize THIS ISN'T GUADALAJARA...This is NEW YORK...and gays are everywhere. Don't like it? go back to the hell hole you came from.

Posted by: Bayley | Dec 10, 2009 8:00:56 PM

19. Word to the "Hollywood, CA" troll:

"If a beautiful woman get shit faced drunk she still has the RIGHT TO GO WHEREVER SHE FUCKING PLEASES WITHOUT FEAR OR FAVOR, and by the way who deputized you or teh mens as the sole dark alley walkers, dumbf***?

God, too stupid to live; too dumb to know it.

Posted by: elcamino | Dec 10, 2009 9:58:34 PM

20. Let's stop defending the actions of the bouncers or any homophobes. Let's get our crap together and speak as one GAY VOICE. Stop frequenting any business and stop buying any goods from companies that don't treat gays with respect or offer us the same rights as the heteros. Why would any self-respecting gay man want to stop and shop in Queens after the past couple of weeks of blatant HOMOPHOBIA?

Posted by: John | Dec 11, 2009 6:58:34 AM

21. Adam Lambert is speaking out on this: "Well, you know, (the bouncers) did something that's not necessarily very nice, but I'm sure (they've) got some sort of justification for it."

Posted by: TCW | Dec 11, 2009 8:26:12 AM

22. Naturally, all the blame lays with the bouncers, but I have to say, where the hell were his partner and his partner's four brothers? Why didn't anyone help this guy? The second article says he didn't want them to so that it didn't look like a "drunken melee," but pulling two assailants off the victim is hardly a drunken melee.

Posted by: Hans | Dec 11, 2009 9:23:12 AM

23. *sigh* 2 gay men, four straight men, and yet another situation where "we don't want to fight". Grow a pair guys, seriously. You would think that his lover and brothers would have done SOMETHING to help. Yet another sad statement on the fact that gay men refuse to learn to defend themselves.

Posted by: DR | Dec 11, 2009 9:41:57 AM

24. Just once, I would like to see a basher land in the hospital.

Posted by: BGKev | Dec 11, 2009 10:40:04 AM

25. One more reason not to ease immigration laws.

Posted by: Me | Dec 11, 2009 11:55:56 AM