Football (American) | Gay Slurs | GLAAD | Jim Harbaugh | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Stanford Coach Jim Harbaugh Denies Anti-Gay Slur on Field

Screen shot 2009-12-05 at 9.39.20 AM

UPDATED

Stanford football coach Jim Harbaugh denied using the word "faggot" on the field during a Notre Dame game on Saturday.

Harbaugh talked to GLAAD: "Harbaugh called back to personally state he never said the word 'f***ot.' He said, 'It did not come out of my mouth. It would not come out of my mouth. It’s not in my heart to ever say that.' Harbaugh acknowledged that he did curse but did not say an anti-gay slur. After discussing the need to create safe spaces for both LGBT athletes and for athletes who have LGBT friends and family members, Harbaugh said the university would be releasing a statement denouncing the video."

Harbaugh's official statement: “I would like to state unequivocally the alleged anti-gay remark that some have attributed to me did not come from my mouth and any such assertion is hurtful to me, members of my family and the gay community.  Those who know me know I never use slurs under any circumstances; the bias reflected by spiteful slurs is simply not in my heart.”

Read his lips. What do you think he said?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It would be a good pre-emptive move in the future to download a video such as this and save it (using keepvid or savevid) so you can re-upload it back to YouTube if people take it down or make it private. So the evidence doesn't vanish.

Posted by: John | Dec 4, 2009 8:48:26 AM

2. I suppose the good news in all this is that Harbaugh feels the need to deny saying such an ugly thing. His heart may be in the wrong place, but his head knows the score. That is progress, if still sad.

Posted by: Kelly | Dec 4, 2009 8:51:57 AM

3. Wow, really guys? this is an issue?
    Youtube Evidence?
    Nothing more pressing than harassing a football coach for a potential random slur?

If you think this is an important Queer issue, I'd love to read a comment about why.

This was posted in good faith. Please don't just comment to call me an asshole. i know i'm an asshole.

Posted by: Kitty Boots | Dec 4, 2009 9:29:05 AM

4. People are getting worked up because he supposedly said Faggot??? Gimme a break.. As a gay person, I was and am no way offended by that word..Use it til you turn blue... So what!

Posted by: David | Dec 4, 2009 10:04:39 AM

5. I didn't see the video, but, to play the devil's advocate, I can imagine that another curse such as "fuck it" would look exactly the same as "faggot" when said in a lot of American dialects.
    I agree with Kelly; in the end, the message he has sent is that calling someone an anti-gay slur would be shameful, and that's positive. But other f-words are also shocking to many Americans, and he may well have not wanted his grandma reading his lips to see whatever he did say.

Posted by: GregV | Dec 4, 2009 10:43:32 AM

6. maybe he said fucking asshole fake its?

Posted by: clayton | Dec 4, 2009 10:45:47 AM

7. Wow, Kittyboots-- why are you so embarrassed by your own opinion? It reads like there is one person who feels really strongly about this and keeps posting very similar things on many gay blogs. I've actually done similar things myself, so I sympathize-- but why do you keep changing your name? It makes you seem not just obsessive but deceptive.

And note that this is not playing out exactly as that poster has claimed that it will-- Harbaugh is NOT apologizing.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Dec 4, 2009 12:10:03 PM

8. Maybe he said good ship lollypop takes it. If you've got the chance to deny it...you deny it. You mos aren't seriously buying that whole "he tripped" defense, are you?

Posted by: TANK | Dec 4, 2009 12:24:11 PM

9. "This silly policing of private lives is the downfall of gay progress. How could we stay focused on REAL issues if we waste time discussing these trivial comments?"

Because it's easier to be outraged by this and spend 30 seconds sending an e-mail of outrage to Stanford than it is to get up off one's ass and go to, say, the Federal Building in Westwood (Los Angeles) and protest the fact that ENDA still hasn't passed or go to a military base and protest DADT. It's cheap, it's easy, no chance of getting arrested AND it makes the sender feel like "they're doing something".

It also makes us all look like a bunch of hypersensitive little wimps, looking out for the slightest transgression by heteros and jumping all over them and demanding they be fired or reprimanded.

This is how fucking lame the professional gay community, of which Andy is a member, is these days. They're lip-reading shitty You Tube videos and THEY KNOW BETTER THAN YOU. Spare me your Puritans-in-2009 trivialities Andy.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Dec 4, 2009 12:56:46 PM

10. I think we have bigger fish to fry, yes, but this dude is a fucking liar, and I assure you, someone has that clip.

Making it private on Youtube does nothing. Thanks.

Posted by: Marcus | Dec 4, 2009 1:01:13 PM

11. Because it's totally an either or choice, henry holland. I mean, who can chew gum and blink at the same time?

Posted by: TANK | Dec 4, 2009 1:07:30 PM

12. Obviously Harbough is an excellent example of heterosexual men. I wish we could all be like him.

Stanford should be proud. Football is certainly more important than ethics or human compassion.

Posted by: David R. | Dec 4, 2009 2:07:20 PM

13. And it matters because people watch this stuff and Stanford is considered one of the top universities in the world. This type of aggression tied to homophobia seems just a few shades away from bashing in person and bashing at the polls.

Posted by: David R. | Dec 4, 2009 2:08:54 PM

14. (And yes, I'm politically active—phone calls, money, personal lobbying of legislators, letter-writing.)

Posted by: David R. | Dec 4, 2009 2:10:28 PM

15. The referee that Mr. Harbaugh was shouting at is named Stewart Fagitz. He's been officiating college games for 12 years.

Posted by: Clerkerist | Dec 4, 2009 8:28:08 PM

16. I watched the video over and over again when the accusations were first made. I saw "fuckin asshole" but no matter how much I tried I could not make out "faggot". If you look closely the last word starts with an "f" but the second consonant is not a "g", it's a "k" and the vowel doesn't seem to be an "a", it looks more like an "uh".

I think he said "fucking asshole! Fucker!"

I believe him.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 4, 2009 8:55:15 PM

17. Who is that hottie standing next to Harbaugh? You can see this dark-haired vixen best at 0:31. I noticed him throughout the game.

Posted by: ahem | Dec 5, 2009 10:04:24 AM

18. Looks to me after I watched a dozen times that he says

"F-cking A-shole F-cker, or F-ck it....

His first and last word are the same if your watch his lips closely, he is not saying Fa he is saying Fu....

As previously stated ;)

Posted by: David | Dec 5, 2009 10:14:20 AM

19. Call me a faggot all day long if you want - it will not change the fact that I'm a decent, honest, hardworking, loving, thoughtful, charitable, healthy, prosperous and creative person.

Lighten up folks.

Posted by: DVDINORL | Dec 5, 2009 10:17:15 AM

20. I'll take him on his word.
    Lying about what he says he didn't say, would only undermine his persona and his ability to command respect from his team.

Posted by: Rafael | Dec 5, 2009 10:22:39 AM

21. "I never use slurs under any circumstances" -- "f*cking @$$h*le" is not a slur? Methinks the coachie doth protest too much. I don't know whether he said "f@gg*t" or not, but he's lying in the statement quoted above. Why is it okay to call a fellow professional an @$$h*le?

Posted by: Doug | Dec 5, 2009 10:25:21 AM

22. It looks like he said F-UCKHEADS.

Posted by: Bri | Dec 5, 2009 10:25:57 AM

23. Fan...dango? Hobo...HOBO CAMP!

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Dec 5, 2009 10:27:45 AM

24. It doesn't look like he said it to me. It seems to me like some WANT for that to be what he said. I sure hope no one trains a camera on me in Atlanta rush hour traffic...there's no telling what it might be perceived I'm saying.

Posted by: phillip | Dec 5, 2009 10:41:16 AM

25. I actually thought he said "F*** It"or "F*** Head" when I first watched this.

Posted by: alex | Dec 5, 2009 10:54:41 AM