Film | News

2010 Golden Globes: List of Winners

In case you missed last night's show, a full list of winners, AFTER THE JUMP...

Thoughts?

Best Motion Picture - Drama
"Avatar"

Best Motion Picture - Comedy Or Musical
"The Hangover"

Best Actress In A Motion Picture - Drama
Sandra Bullock for "The Blind Side"

Best Actor In A Motion Picture - Drama
Jeff Bridges for "Crazy Heart"

Best Actress In A Motion Picture - Comedy Or Musical
Meryl Streep for "Julie & Julia"

Best Actor In A Motion Picture - Comedy Or Musical
Robert Downey Jr. for "Sherlock Holmes"

Best Animated Feature Film
"Up"

Best Foreign Language Film
"The White Ribbon"

Best Supporting Actress In A Motion Picture
Monique for "Precious"

Best Supporting Actor In A Motion Picture
Christoph Waltz for "Inglourious Basterds"

Best Director - Motion Picture
James Cameron for "Avatar"

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner for "Up in the Air"

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Michael Giacchino for "Up"

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
"The Weary Kind" from "Crazy Heart"

Best Television Series - Drama
"Mad Men"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama
Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama
Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"

Best Television Series - Comedy
"Glee"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Comedy or Musical
Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Comedy or Musical
Toni Collette, "United States of Tara"

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
"Grey Gardens"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Drew Barrymore, "Grey Gardens"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Kevin Bacon, "Taking Chance"

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Chloe Sevigny, "Big Love"

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
John Lithgow, "Dexter"

Comments

1. Congrats to "T-Bone" Streep, who managed to mention Partners in Health in her accept speech. Twice!
    Meryl Streep never looked more beautiful than last night.

Posted by: Mark (Marcito) | Jan 18, 2010 7:37:56 AM

2. I hated "Avatar." The story was hackneyed, the New Agey tree worshiping stuff cultishly creepy, and the 3-D visuals made me nauseous. Worst of all, because this movie is a massive hit, the studios are going to greenlight fewer non-CGI, non-science fiction movies featuring real actors.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 18, 2010 7:42:06 AM

3. Colin Firth was robbed. Jeff Bridges isn't THAT great in Crazy Heart. Also disappointed for Jane Lynch.

Posted by: Lee | Jan 18, 2010 7:49:55 AM

4. Happy for Streep. It's about time the Oscars give her number three. Biggest surprise was Kevin Bacon for Taking Chance. One of the best things on TV last year, best 'war' movie I have seen, not taking either side, just showing what these men and women do for what many of us take for granted.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 18, 2010 8:16:24 AM

5. It is a shame that "The Hurt Locker" was denied for a video game called "Avatar"...what a piece of crap movie that was directed by a hack who relies on special effects and a lousy story...

The Hurt Locker should have won for Best Picture (Drama) and Best Director...not that loser James Cameron but his really lousy films propel the Hollywood machine...

Posted by: DifferingView | Jan 18, 2010 8:23:10 AM

6. Two words: Pia Zadora. That killed any credence these awards could ever have had, and when you see an audience incessantly mull about tells me the people there really are not interested in what is going on stage.

I just could not get past the horrendously strained and unfunny intro by Ricky Gervais.

And what was with the Moet champagne bottles on the table, all the labels clearly visible from any camera angle?

What I did catch was nauseating and wretchedly scripted at best.

Posted by: Rad | Jan 18, 2010 8:26:23 AM

7. My hopes for Inglourious Basterds are dimming by the day as it keeps getting passed over for 'message' or 'event' films.

***********

Matt Damon should have walked away with the comedic actor honours- Robert Downey Jr. was playing Robert Downey Jr. in his movie.

Posted by: Rodney | Jan 18, 2010 8:51:37 AM

8. All the above comments are correct. Julia Roberts said on live TV pre-show that NBC is in the toilet, & said it best. That show was a corporate show of whores. Everything for sale for us to consume with James Cameron leading the way. Cameron's ginormous ego tells himself he must do all (for us) including shitty script writing.
    Cameron (Mr. GagGag) has Narcissism Unhinged Totally Syndrome (NUTS).
    Just sayin'...

Posted by: Mark (Marcito) | Jan 18, 2010 8:51:46 AM

9. loved gervais, loved avatar, loved grey gardens, loved streep, love mad men, loved christoph waltz, loved rdjr's and meryl's speeches, sad for precious and almodovar and my friend terri tatchell but overall i enjoyed the show.

Posted by: brad | Jan 18, 2010 9:13:18 AM

10. Yay, dexter won. Sherlock Holmes sucked, and julie and julia was unwatchable. It's about time zach galifianakis got his due-he "made" the hangover. I didn't really care for inglorious basterds because I'm not a brad pitt fan. He does too much of the inside joke thing which has been over since nicholson was in his forties. Didn't dislike it, though, and christoph waltz's performance was exceptional.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 18, 2010 9:21:00 AM

11. I am thrilled that Glee and Drew Barrymore were both honored. Glee is a treasure and Barrymore was magnificent in Grey Gardens.

Colin Firth was indeed robbed, because he's marvelous in A Single Man. I think Streep is overrated. There are other actors who are as good or better than she is.

Regarding, Avator: I refuse to see it. It cost 3/4 of a billion dollars! Of course it has to win. It will take the Oscar, too, because it cost so much and it can't afford to lose that much money.

Think about it: That money would be better served for the relief effort in Haiti. It could help build housing for the homeless, feed the starving, but instead it finances an overhyped movie? Titanic was just as bad,
    a $200 million bore!

The Hangover was best comedy? Since when is
    sophomoric humor honored with awards? Animal House is a great comedy, but it wasn't so honored.

The two best performances of the year were Audrey Tautou in Coco Before Chanel and Johnny Depp in Public Enemies, yet those films weren't even nominated. It makes me cringe to think what the Oscars will be like.

Fortunately, I missed an hour so I could watch my beloved Desperate Housewives!

Posted by: Pierce_mn | Jan 18, 2010 9:25:35 AM

12. Yeah, I don't know why anyone pays attention to these awards because it's all so corrupt and Tom Ford said it best that it is a marketing concuction.

It's all about who (studio) puts in the most money for their film/actor/actress to win.

Has anyone noticed how they seem to be obsessively pushing Sandra Bullock our way? She wins best actress? Best ever person in Peoples Choice awards? Is allegedly the most successful actress of the decade?

Really?

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 18, 2010 9:32:03 AM

13. Because I understand that Julia Child was anti-gay, I could not bring myself to see "Julia & Julia". I didn't realize that it was a comedy.

I agree, Colin Firth was robbed.

I was happy to see Kevin Bacon win for "Taking Chance."

I don't know what rock I've been under, but I've never heard of "The Hurt Locker." I hope to see it.

Posted by: Bryce | Jan 18, 2010 9:46:25 AM

14. Sometimes the Globes are fun to watch for their quirky and offbeat picks, but this year they seemed to follow the money, opting to reward the big money makers. Avatar is a box office phenomenon but in 5 years people will see it for what it really is... a badly scripted diatribe that sees the world in black and white (good and evil) with virtually no shades of grey. Colin Firth was robbed but hopefully the Oscars will rectify that. Last year the Globes went with Mickey Rourke's over-the-top Wrestler performance (much like this year's Jeff Bridges role) but Sean Penn took home the Oscar... the same might happen this year for Firth.

Posted by: james | Jan 18, 2010 9:48:55 AM

15. i think most award shows are a sham for the industry to promote itself, and i didn't bother to watch, but i was still shocked that 'avatar' won. the movie was so annoying with it's white guilt and noble savage crap. i really hope the oscars will have better taste and choose 'the hurt locker' for best picture.. but then again, 'milk' was denied last year for the feel-good 'slumdog'.

Posted by: TIM | Jan 18, 2010 10:39:00 AM

16. Re: Cameron I thought "Titanic" was amazing, in particular since everyone new how it would end. He made a tragic story that ended with heart and hope.
    Haven't seen "Avatar" yet, but I will.
    Overjoyed to see "Glee" win. Loved Streep in "Julia" is there anything she can't do?
    FYI: although "Milk" was good, something was missing.
    Then again I enjoyed "Taking Woodstock" even though I did not expect to.

Posted by: Rob West | Jan 18, 2010 10:53:46 AM

17. I'm just shrugging now about the "Avatar" wave--it's the worst-reviewed of many of the Best Picture Oscar contenders (behind "Up" "Up In the Air" "District 9" "The Hurt Locker" etc.), so that means it'll probably win Best Picture. (That, and the Academy wants a really popular movie to win to help goose ratings, in case you ever thought the Oscars were really about the Honoring The Best In Filmmaking.)

I'm more pissed about "The Hangover," considering its blatant homophobia. Now that I know it's from Todd Phillips, who had Luke Wilson being asked if he was a "fag" in the first 5 minutes of "Old School," I think I can safely say that Phillips is a homophobic asshole. (And the rest of "The Hangover" wasn't that funny--it made the similar "Dude Where's My Car?" look like "Citizen Kane.")

Posted by: Dback | Jan 18, 2010 11:32:03 AM

18. AVATAR is a great film, in many technical ways the best movie ever made. It's not as brilliant as 2001 but it's not as dumb as LOTR.

You should see it in the theater, in 3D, in IMAX. It demands that scale, not because it is especially profound, but because it is designed as spectacle. I don't think there is much argument that AVATAR makes the best use of 3D that any traditional motion picture has. I'm not especially convinced that 3D adds effectiveness to movies, but this is the best example of this odd technology.

I certainly preferred A SINGLE MAN to AVATAR (but then I preferred A SINGLE MAN to BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.) I dislike most science fiction and almost all fantasy, so this is not surprising.

I think those who criticize the condescending racial politics of AVATAR are correct. But the film is well-intended in its approach to race, and I think quite sophisticated in its approach to disability. The film's hero would have the use of his actual legs if he could afford to pay for them (AVATAR is pushing for reform of our health care system with greater urgency than anyone in Washington). We see how much he is able to contribute with appropriate assistive technology. AVATAR is convincing kids that the guy in the wheelchair is an human as they are.

Most important is that it is the most effective environmental parable since THE LORAX. Chinese kids whose parents heat their homes with coal are seeing AVATAR.
    That might save the world.

P.S. Yay for GLEE!!!

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Jan 18, 2010 12:02:43 PM

19. I hope the Oscars do more correcting this year, when they hand out awards. Remember last year when Mickey Rouke won the Golden Globe for "the Wrestler" and Sean Penn rightfully won the Oscar for "Milk." Some justice does happen, but I still upset that the groundbreaking "Brokeback Mountain" lost to feel-good "Crash." Sometimes I get really peeved at Best Pictures, such as "Rain Man", "Silence of the Lambs," and "Forest Gump." The movies were more about commercial success than critical acclaim. I really feel Meryl Streep deserves the Oscar for "Julie & Julia," but the number of actors who win for playing in biopics sometimes seems like that is the formula to win, not a greating acting performance from a character not drawn from history.

Posted by: Georgiaguy | Jan 18, 2010 12:14:38 PM

20. Awards shows are ridiculous. The winners are only occasionally "the Best" (Streep and "Glee" being the exceptions). Sadly, "Avatar" is little more than a big, sugary sundae, filled with empty calories and not much else. How it could win "Best" anything (other special effects), is beyond me.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 18, 2010 1:18:52 PM

21. Dback, Avatar scored an 84 on metacritic.com, which puts it in the rare category of "Universal Acclaim". So it's hardly the "worst reviewed" of the Best Picture noms. It actually scored higher than "Up In The Air" (83), "Inglorious Basterds" (61) and "Precious" (79). "Avatar" was, for me, like nothing I've ever seen before. It was beautiful visually, and I also found the story engaging, powerful and moving. Visual effects alone don't sustain a bad movie (see "Phantom Menace").

In saying that, "A Single Man" was my clear favorite film for 2009, but since it wasn't even nominated (a travesty), that's a moot point. Here's hoping the Oscars rectify this omission.

Generally, I agreed with most of the wins, especially GLEE and Drew Barrymore's richly deserved wins. Shame about Jane Lynch (who would've made a helluva speech I'm sure) and Colin Firth.

Meryl's speech was deeply moving (give this woman another Oscar pronto!) and I thought Ricky Gervais was a highlight (his intro to Mel Gibson was a classic moment!).

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Jan 18, 2010 1:34:04 PM

22. Monique, Drew and T-Bone Steep rock my world.

I love the Globes. It's my favorite award show because it always moves along fast and everyone's off the hook most the time.

I just hope that Rad was able to remove that stick up his ass.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Jan 18, 2010 2:27:31 PM

23. I watched Up in the Air this weekend and would love for someone to explain why this movie has received such acclaim. It's perfectly likable but little more. Formulaic with characters that are hard to care about. Clooney doing the same role he always does (charming, handsome guy unable to commit), though in a career that makes him unsympathetic. I don't get it.

I also hated Jon Lithgow on Dexter, which until this season was one of the few shows I watched religiously. Again, he was playing the same character he always does.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 18, 2010 7:00:22 PM

24. Paul R, I agree about UP IN THE AIR but I think it's hitting a cord because of the economy and the high unemployment.

Streep can do no wrong in my book so I was thrilled she won (again) and it IS about time she get her third Oscar. I've always liked Bullock (years ago she let gay friends get married at her house in Austin) but think that move is only so-so.

THE HANGOVER was overrated. MODERN FAMILY should have won (it is more consistently funny than GLEE). Barrymore's speech was awful (and no mention of Lange after she was so gracious to Barrymore in her Emmy speech).

Jon Hamm + beard = WOOF!

Posted by: topsyturvy8 | Jan 18, 2010 7:10:20 PM

25. Sorry Lewis, I usually go with RottenTomatoes.com for my reviews, and "Avatar" is definitely trailing the other films I mentioned there. I think it's visually gorgeous (though I think P.J. Hogan's underrated "Peter Pan" gives it a run for its money), but the writing is crude beyond belief, and I ultimately found it too long and self-indulgent to be truly engaged or moved by it. That said, I agree with you on "A Single Man." (You can read my various reviews there under Dean B.)

Posted by: Dback | Jan 19, 2010 12:33:39 AM