Advertising | Alan Cumming | American Idol | Benoit Denizet-Lewis | Brazil | Facebook | Gareth Thomas | Google | Harold Ford Jr. | Hugh Jackman | Italy | Jesus Luz | Madonna | Nature | New York | News | Taylor Kitsch | Uganda

News: Harold Ford Jr, Italy, Gareth Thomas, Meth, Facebook

roadHRC: take action on Uganda.

roadHarold Ford Jr. in NY Post: "It's true: I am strongly considering running for the United States Senate." Governor David Paterson: "I would suggest he would look for another state to run a primary." Christine Quinn: Let Ford run.

Gareththomas  roadOut rugby superstar Gareth Thomas does Attitude.

roadI'd say yes, it's over.

roadMore reasons to love Alan Cumming.

roadGay art champion Fritz Lohman dies at 87.

roadAuthor Benoit Denizet-Lewis to speak at NYC Gay Center tonight.

roadBi-national couple discusses being gay in Rio de Janeiro.

roadLOGO greenlights four new series for 2010: "The four greenlit series include 'The Robert Verdi Show Starring Robert Verdi,' which casts an unblinking eye on the celebrity-filled, super-high-stress lives of "stylist to the stars" Verdi and his creative team; 'RuPaul's Drag U,' where RuPaul and other drag queens apply fairy godmother dust to the looks and lives of people in need of a little assistance; 'The Arrangement,' an original series that follows the surprisingly intense action in a high-end floral design competition; and 'Kept,' the much-buzzed-about project that takes an unflinching look at a handful of gay men in Manhattan who are, or aspire to be 'kept' by another man."

roadHugh Jackman is a teabagger!!!

roadVulgar outtakes from Better off Ted.

roadStudy shows huge drop in meth use among gay men in NYC.

Orangutan  roadHumans wiping out species at 1,000 times the natural rate.

roadGoogle considering selling advertising on Google Maps street view images: "The link can be associated with a property owner, for example the property owner which owns the physical property portrayed. The link can alternatively be associated with an advertiser who placed the highest bid on the image recognized within the region of interest (e.g., poster, billboard, banner, etc.). Any portion of the geographic display image in which the region of interest is located can be selectable (e.g., hot-linked). For example, the image of the coffee shop can be hot-linked to an advertisement for the coffee shop."

roadCosmo Skeletor.

roadPaula Abdul hangs with Chi Chi LaRue (site nsfw).

roadTucker Carlson's new site kicks off with joke about Rachel Maddow being a man.

roadMonsanto corn linked to organ damage, which is scary, because Monsanto corn is in just about everything.

roadFull Frontal Fashion Q&A with Johnny Weir: "This year I have been so inspired by Fabergé eggs. I think inspiration can come from some of the least expected places. I can say that at the moment, I am very inspired by Lady Gaga’s style as well as the style of Sergey Lazarev. Gaga is always forward, while Lazarev dresses the way I think a man should dress, and I find myself somewhere in between."

roadMadonna to release Sticky & Sweet Tour DVD.

Jesus  roadJesus Luz flashing his undies all over Brazil.

roadBenched: Taylor Kitsch leaving Friday Night Lights.

roadItaly to open prison for transgender inmates: "The prison, at Pozzale, near the Tuscan city of Florence, is expected to house inmates who mainly have convictions for drug-related offences and prostitution. Gay rights groups in Italy welcomed the move to convert an almost empty medium security women's prison into a specially equipped detention centre. It is thought that Italy has a total of some 60 transgender prisoners. The centre will house about 30 people, according to reports."

roadFacebook employee tells all? "Facebook is recording data on everything you do on the site. Everything. And not just the messages you’ve written and received either: it knows how many times you’ve clicked on your friend’s profile, which photos you’ve viewed, and more. Using this data it can establish who your best friends are, which helps it generate interesting stories in your News Feed. According to the interview, this data has recently been used to streamline search (your best friends show up first as your type in your query, rather than an alphabetical list)."

Comments

1. LOGO is unbelievable. Three of their new shows are about stylists, florists and kept boys. Thanks for showing America how the gays really live!

Posted by: Chicago | Jan 12, 2010 3:16:21 PM

2. Re: Monsanto corn:

Scare story alert!

The study design is dubious at best. First, the doses of GM feed are massive: 11 and 33 percent of these rats' diets were (GM or control) corn. It seems unlikely that (a) rats eat that much grain in the wild, and (b) humans are likely to consume that much of a single thing anytime in the near future. Secondly, the control groups were really poor: the non-GM grains were not equivalent to the GM ones in nutritional content, etc.

I do suspect that GM grains, especially ones made to produce toxins like Roundup, are a Pandora's Box of trouble. However, we need good science to make that suspicion a belief worth discussing, and this study is *crap* science.

A good Googling turns up numerous debunkings of basically these same data.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 12, 2010 3:19:44 PM

3. WTF? Is LOGO trying to be BRAVO? How many reality shows about stylists, florists, hair salons, etc. can we take? I guess we'll need some more about personal shoppers, masseurs, manicurists, and bikini waxers. It's like Queer Eye and Sex and the City spawned and have taken over the gay zeitgeist (unfortunately).

Posted by: Alex | Jan 12, 2010 3:19:57 PM

4. @ chicago... I'm a gay florist! This is how I really live!

Posted by: Joe | Jan 12, 2010 3:37:38 PM

5. @chicago
    i'm not sure why you're worried about LOGO "showing america how gays really live" and all that.

i was under the impression that LOGO was entertainment for gays. why should they be concerned with what the rest of america thinks?

Posted by: alguien | Jan 12, 2010 4:03:00 PM

6. LOGO is unwatchable. It's hardly competition for Bravo, which at least has SOME gay diversity (Top Chef, etc.). LOGO is not even as high-brow as those trashy messes on VH1 or E. LOGO is more like a local cable access channel that's been dominated by the most vapid of the prissies and their meaningless banter. 10 minutes of it and I'm homophobic.

Posted by: KJ | Jan 12, 2010 4:15:13 PM

7. I'm just surprised LOGO has failed to achieve a runaway/crossover original series success. I always thought Ethan Mordden's BUDDIES books would lend themselves to an episodic series with their recurring characters.

I guess I'm just not the target demographic for Bravo or Logo. I caught some of that Tabatha Salon Monstrosity at the gym yesterday and I was like "this is a series? really?" It made me feel really butch (and trust me I'm not. I love opera and Broadway shows and Meryl Streep movies.)

Maybe I'm "straight acting" *insert tongue into cheek*

Posted by: Alex | Jan 12, 2010 4:28:05 PM

8. logo is subpar. Stereotypes are usually true for a reason...they contain a kernal of truth to them, anyway. Not all gay men are florists, stylists fashion designers, and other typically gay professions...a lot of them are, though. The majority of them? I doubt that, but I don't know. It's more pallatable to view gay men in these stereotypical jobs, because it's easier to class them irrelevant and objectify them in doing so...just like it's easier to view all gay men as effeminate. Though a lot of gay men are, in fact, effeminate.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 12, 2010 4:34:24 PM

9. How fucking fabulous is that? Alan Cumming gets his gay news at towleroad.com! Just happened to notice that at the end of his interview. Nice.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jan 12, 2010 4:38:39 PM

10. W00T!! Alan Cumming reads Towleroad!! We LOVE you Alan!

When are we gonna get more Nightcrawler?? Anymore X-Men in your future?

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jan 12, 2010 6:25:03 PM

11. "Study shows huge drop in meth use among gay men in NYC"??????

More like, "After Peter Staley's well-publicized anti-meth campaign, study shows huge drop in number of gay men willing to ADMIT to meth use."

And that's not exactly Earth-shaking news.

You just can't evaluate the effectiveness of a stigmatizing intervention by asking people to report whether or not they indulge in the stigmatized behavior. It's lousy science. And Staley surely knows that.

Posted by: 24play | Jan 12, 2010 7:04:38 PM

12. Who is really surprised that Facebook is taking all that info and using it? I work Facebook like my own Towleroad and the price I pay is that they get to use my info in return. Recently, my laptop died and I was able to retrieve a hell of a lot because it was stored on Facebook.

You give and you take.

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Jan 12, 2010 7:10:45 PM

13. Gareth is soo hot! I wish I could touch his body. It's looks rock hard all over.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 12, 2010 10:40:57 PM

14. Back off bitch—Gareth's mine and I'm not willing to share.

Posted by: David R. | Jan 12, 2010 11:38:22 PM

15. Huge drop in meth use? Say it's so... Please.

You can't hardly give out your phone number no more without some demented underwear model calling at 4:00 am ranting about the portal to another universe that just opened in his butthole.

I volunteer, I send my dollars to CARE, I bitch slap twenty-somethings who show up with it, but I no longer visit friends on the psyche ward. Crying on the street public at my age makes little kids scream and hide under parked cars.

I really liked us a lot more when we were perky and horny, but not psychotic.

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | May 24, 2010 7:21:00 PM