AIDS/HIV | Deaths | Freddie Mercury | Music | News

Jim Hutton, Partner of the Late Freddie Mercury, Dies at 60

Hutton

The Irish partner of the late Freddie Mercury died on New Year's Day and was laid to rest yesterday, the Irish Independent reports:

"Jim Hutton, who also worked as a hairdresser for the Queen singer, died on New Year's Day after a battle with cancer, just three days short of his 61st birthday. He lived with Mercury for the last six years of the singer's life and was present at his bedside when he passed away at his Kensington home in London on November 24, 1991. The star died from broncho-pneumonia induced by AIDS after publicly acknowledging he had the disease the day before his death. Mercury left his partner £500,000 as well as a plot of land at Rutland Terrace, Carlow where Hutton built a house. The bulk of Mercury's estate went to Mary Austin, his former girlfriend of six years. Hutton himself tested positive for AIDS in 1990 but he didn't tell Mercury for nearly a year afterwards."

Hutton was buried in his hometown of Carlow, Ireland.

Hutton2

Comments

1. What an incredible singer, songwriter and performer Freddie Mercury was. Jim Hutton was hot too, in that bear-ish way I like.

RIP Freddie and Jim.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 4, 2010 9:27:27 PM

2. Yeah, Freddie was the best. Sorry to hear about Hutton.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 4, 2010 11:12:26 PM

3. but keeping your HIV + status from your partner is NOT hot or the best.

Posted by: Marc | Jan 4, 2010 11:30:13 PM

4. Anumi, why not post your spam at another site where someone might be interested? Please, go away.

Posted by: JD | Jan 5, 2010 12:50:45 AM

5. My apartment in Munich was on the same small street where Fredy lived and where the girlfriend remained after Freddy died and we had the same favorite bar, Ochsengarten. One of my brushes with fame.

Posted by: Will | Jan 5, 2010 12:57:03 AM

6. wow- what a beautiful set of photographs; seemed so sweet and natural.

Posted by: ED2 | Jan 5, 2010 2:58:21 AM

7. thoughts about his estate ?

Posted by: rick | Jan 5, 2010 4:57:52 AM

8. How sad! Two beautiful men gone! I had always had a crush on Freddie and never really got to know the personal life side of him, so I can't say that I had a crush on Jim. It's always a sad moment when you hear about the partner, of a person that you know that you'd never be able to have, passing. They are now together and are probably more happy no to be back together with one another! Sleep well my two handsome men!

Posted by: Steve Kerbow | Jan 5, 2010 10:20:58 AM

9. This is shocking on several levels. Mercury denied he was gay right up to the end yet had a male partner. How many people knew that?? Not me.

Posted by: anon | Jan 5, 2010 10:47:57 AM

10. I have to admit, the clone look still does wonders for my aging libido...

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 5, 2010 1:27:43 PM

11. Marc,

According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources, I acknowledge), Freddie was tested HIV positive around Easter of 1987.

If Hutton found out his own positive status around 1990, he may not have been the first in the relationship to have contracted the virus.

I'm just sayin - we don't know the full circumstances.

Posted by: steve | Jan 5, 2010 6:25:52 PM

12. what a cute couple, if only Freddy had lived a couple more years until the cocktail was invented... RIP

Posted by: ty | Jan 5, 2010 9:12:11 PM

13. kitten and gay

Posted by: yulo | Jan 6, 2010 3:34:33 AM

14. The Lasting Tribute website has updated its memorial pages to include Jim Hutton.

It's a respectful memorial and somewhere to pay tribute at this difficult time.

Posted by: Paddy | Jan 8, 2010 10:13:22 AM

15. IT DIDN'T MATTER THEIR SEXUAL PREFERENCE. I ADORE FREDDIE AND ALWAYS WILL. I USED TO THINK I WAS A SILLY YOUNG GIRL HAVING AN IDOL. THAT WAS 25 YEARS AGO..I'M 44, THE MOTHER OF 3 TEENS AND I STILL IDOLIZE FREDDIE AND QUEEN. THE SOUND OF HIS VOICE IS BETTER THEN A BUBBLE BATH AT THE END OF A LONG GG DAY! R.I.P. FREDDIE AND JIM

Posted by: KATY | Jan 28, 2010 12:13:30 AM

16. Freddie and Jim were both exceptional people and good good friends. After Freddie passed i did some fundraising for the MPT and also the album launch party in L.A. at the Rainbow and an adjacent venue for Made In Heaven. Hollywood records did very little to promote this album- in fact they completely ignored any sort of album launch. The proceeds from that went to the MPT. As for Jim Hutton- he inherited the birt of property that they had planned to build their "retirement" home on in Ireland- not far from his family. I still have the last Christmas card I got from Jim. It doesn't matter what he died from- he was a dear , kind person- and he was one of the FEW who took care of Freddie- and loved him without a personal "agenda." Rest in Peac my Friend- may God be with you ...Sharon

Posted by: Sharon | Jan 30, 2010 6:09:50 PM

17. It's ironic how shy he was in public and how flamboyant a performer he was onstage. I hear Micheal Jackson was the same way. I thank Queen for all of their music.

Posted by: Dan | Feb 20, 2010 3:15:11 PM

18. Freddie was diagnosed with AIDS in 1987. Not HIV. AIDS. The entire syndrome had already set in. Jim wasn't diagnosed as HIV+ until 1990. If anything, Jim contracted HIV from Freddie and he KNEW Freddie was HIV+. By not telling Freddie, Jim was likely just protecting him from worrying. There was no risk of making Freddie more ill than he already was anyways.

Two wonderful people lost to a preventable illness. Sad.

Posted by: Rachel | Feb 21, 2010 10:44:51 AM

19. meaning....yet another OPEN couple..he got dick somewhere esle...some love that is ! thats not a relationship ! makes us ALL look bad !
    Id dump his ass is i knew he is getting dick elsewhere....

Posted by: alex | Feb 27, 2010 8:09:55 PM

20. This is sad news indeed.
    At least the are together now.
    BE HAPPY GUYS. RIP.

RESPECT.deeply, from a strait guy.
    and I LOVE YOU!!

Posted by: Richard | Aug 20, 2010 5:26:04 PM

21. So sad, but at least they're together now. It's sad that Mary made Jim, Phoebe and Joe leave garden lodge when it was Freddie's wish that they stay there as long as they wanted.
    R.I.P. Freddie and Joe, lost so young to such a terrible disease and R.I.P. Jim, lost to a terrible disease and also fairly young :( I hope you and Freddie and Joe are having lots of fun up there!

Posted by: lisa | Nov 15, 2010 1:25:14 PM

22. Sharon ... What a privilege to read you!
    I am interested in the life of Freddie Mercury and I learned how you were precious to him ... until the end. A strong relationship of friendship united you to him. I'm just a simple fan of quebec - canada, but I have great respect for Jim appeared to be a serious man, stable, who had family values and that allowed Freddie to grow in real relationship.
    My respects,
    Melanie

Posted by: melanie boyer | Nov 20, 2010 9:40:52 AM

23. @Marc, I think the implication was that Mercury infected him, but he kept secret to himself as an act of mercy to a dying man.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 20, 2010 9:50:40 AM

24. Just finished the book 'Mercury and Me' by Jim Hutton (with Tim Wapshott). It was written in 1994. I started reading it not knowing that Jim has recently died. What a decent and loving man he was! It's a shame he was treated by Mary that way. He was not being able to visit his own garden he created for Freddy or to pet his and Freddie's cats (not to mention to take one of them). She was left with 6 cats. I thought better of Mary. Very selfish and incensitive...

Posted by: Olga | Jan 7, 2011 10:23:42 PM

25. poor freddie and kitten i dont know if he was gay or not,i am not himself.although my cat looks exactly the same!rip freddie f*** off jim!sorry'bout the f word but im so shocked!freddie at least deserves a nice woman OR a nicer man.by the way,waaaaaah freddie!goodbye!sorry you cant see all this.but quite good cause some things would just offend u!

Posted by: Juliawhoismissingfreddiemuch! | Mar 14, 2011 3:00:01 PM