New Zealand | News

New Zealand Gym Owner Sorry for 'Soy Makes You Gay' Article

Some of you may remember the 2006 op-ed in Wingnut Daily by Jim Rutz about the allegedly homosexualizing effects of soy. Said Rutz:

Wingnutsoy "Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the penis, sexual confusion and homosexuality. That's why most of the medical (not socio-spiritual) blame for today's rise in homosexuality must fall upon the rise in soy formula and other soy products."

Well, the article has lived on to cause a stink in New Zealand after it was included as part of a newsletter by a gym in Auckland. The gym owner has apologized:

"Attempts to contact Club Physical chief executive Paul Richards were unsuccessful, but GayNZ.com reported he had today apologised for linking to the article, and had only wanted to drum up feedback from members. 'I was on a tight deadline and in the back of my mind I realised it might provoke comment. I'm afraid I didn't put enough thought into it.' Mr Kingi, who is also the treasurer for support organisation Rainbow Youth, told NZPA he had received a lot of supportive messages from the public saying they were 'pretty outraged' about the link to the article."

Comments

1. This is why gays must be aware of the horrifying consequences of not consuming enough soy.

Posted by: David T | Jan 25, 2010 8:50:25 AM

2. They got that so wrong. Its Midol, i took it for a headache when i was 15 and POOF queer. :)

Posted by: George | Jan 25, 2010 9:49:55 AM

3. Why is everything ok as long as someone says "oh, i'm sorry"?

Sorry isn't good enough anymore and I'M SICK OF HEARING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Marc | Jan 25, 2010 11:18:46 AM

4. On the other end, whey protein doesn't make you gay. It just makes make men hungry for cock in those after-workout showers and steam rooms. I recommend it for any serious male body builder.
    ;-)

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 25, 2010 11:20:03 AM

5. Soooo,
    about 85% of the American population is gay then? Since soy is in almost every corporate mainstream food product this must be true!

What is the debate here other than how stupid people are?!?

Posted by: ED2 | Jan 25, 2010 1:31:33 PM

6. I grew up in New Zealand and drank nothing but milk, and I love sucking cock. Maybe milk makes you gay?

Posted by: luke | Jan 25, 2010 2:14:24 PM