BigGayDeal.com

BBC Reporter Ray Gosling Questioned Further Over Killing; Won't Give Name of AIDS-Suffering Lover

UPDATED

BBC broadcaster Ray Gosling, who spent last night in jail after police held him for confessing to killing a lover suffering from AIDS on a documentary program Monday night, is being held for further questioning today.

UPDATE: Gosling released on bail.

GoslingThe Guardian: "Police have searched several properties, including Gosling's home in a Nottingham sheltered housing complex, but Gosling has not been charged. The questioning could be extended until Sunday morning, but Gosling's solicitor, Digby Johnson, said he hoped his client would be released, possibly on police bail, much sooner. Johnson said the last 24 hours in custody had 'taken its toll' on Gosling, although he was being well looked after. He is understood to be standing firm by his resolution to withhold from the police the name of the victim, where he killed him and when – 'even under torture'. Police are today understood to be interviewing at least one of his friends who knew him at the time of the killing. Yesterday it emerged that friends had known for more than a decade that Gosling had killed his dying lover. Gosling had claimed to have kept the killing secret, but close friends have revealed he confided in a small number of confidants them. They did not tell police because they considered the actions he described to be assisted suicide."

It's understood that Gosling, who is 70, killed the man approximately 20 years ago.

Gosling talks further about the incident, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Not to be too heartless about things, but this has Academy-award-winning movie starring Anthony Hopkins written all over it.

I can see the opening credits and the time-flashbacks already...

Posted by: johnny | Feb 18, 2010 7:49:57 AM

2. Back in the day, before life saving and life altering drugs for HIV/AIDS, men, women and children died horrifically (and in parts of the "developing" world they still do). They died in ways you cannot imagine today because we, in the USA, rarely see anyone suffering as we did in the 80's and early 90's.
    This was not the first "pact" that was honored I am certain. We can not imagine what his partner endured nor can we second guess the terms or conditions of the "Pact".
    If he feels guilt or seeks absolution for his actions then that is his right, and I am hopeful he receives the understanding, and compassion he showed to his partner at the time.

Posted by: AlexInBoston | Feb 18, 2010 8:09:27 AM

3. Agreed completely, empathetically and sympathetically, Alexinboston... I will never forget those times; the hazmat suits just to visit dying friends and lovers, the fear, the watching as beautiful men wasted away, gauntly, as they were eaten from within...

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Feb 18, 2010 8:20:48 AM

4. Thank you Kile - I just hope the world and the press and everyday people apply the same compassion as we did in those days - maybe then this man will be judge by the times and not by the law!

Posted by: AlexInBoston | Feb 18, 2010 8:53:43 AM

5. And this highlights the issue of how people are under-medicated for pain control because their doctors are afraid of drug charges. The anti-choice crowd like to oppose physician-assisted suicide because they say pain can be controlled, but in reality the medications are restricted.

Posted by: Charlie | Feb 18, 2010 9:37:16 AM

6. Johnny, you're not insensitive, I literally thought the same thing! I hope Gosling writes a book.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 18, 2010 11:08:36 AM

7. I think Mr. Gosling has been living with this guilt for many, many years. I think he feels he is now approaching death himself and doesn't want to carry this awful secret to his grave. I believe Mr. Gosling is at last exorcising this demon.

I lived through the horrors of watching friends slowly waste away, in terrible pain and suffering in many cases from horrible bouts of dementia. Then there was no cure, and many suffered from AZT allergies that only prolonged suffering. Not a happy time or experience.

I was fortunate with a close friend of mine, his doctor agreed to a morphine drip during his last days. He died comfortably in his sleep after month of agony. Not many doctors would help then. At the time one doctor suggested my friend should get right with god for his sinful ways.

I wish Mr. Gosling well and although many may think it is wrong to end a loved one's life, when suffering horribly with no chance for survival, I personally do not. I wish Mr. Gosling peace, he's punished himself far more and far longer than society can punish him now.

Posted by: Bob R | Feb 18, 2010 12:26:01 PM

8. I wonder why they felt the need to carry out a search of his home. While I understand there are standard operating procedures, do they think they're going to find the pillow? It's probably in a landfill somewhere.

Posted by: Andrew | Feb 18, 2010 12:29:20 PM

9. I'm quite sure the police investigating this case wish that Gosling had never said a word. However much compassion they (or we) might have for him, though, there's a huge difference between helping someone die and putting a pillow over someone's face to smother him to death - it's not an accident that the word "kill" is the operative one here. The victim's alleged consent can't be a defense against a murder or manslaughter charge, or else that could open the door to all kinds of horrible abuses, especially against the elderly and the disabled. The "slippery slope" dangers here are huge.

All that said, I'm guessing that it will be very hard for the police to gather enough forensic evidence to try or convict Gosling.

Posted by: Sancho | Feb 18, 2010 12:47:10 PM