Football (American) | New Orleans | News | Scott Fujita | Sports | Tim Tebow

New Orleans Saint Scott Fujita Speaks Out on Tebow Ad, Gay Rights

New Orleans Saints linebacker Scott Fujita, who has been vocal in his support for gay rights in the past, spoke to reporters about the 'Focus on the Family' Tim Tebow ad, the NYT reports:

Fujita "The issue resonates with Fujita because he was adopted, and Fujita said he respected Tebow for standing up for what he believed in.' The idea of focusing on the family — who wouldn’t agree with that?' Fujita said. 'But the means of doing so, he and I might not see eye to eye all the way.' When Fujita was born in 1979, his biological mother, he said, was in her teens and she gave him up for adoption because she did not have the means to raise a child. 'I’m just so thankful she had the courage and the support system to be able to carry out the pregnancy,' Fujita said. 'I wouldn’t expect that of everybody.'"

As for the ad's timing, Fujita said, "The idea of doing it at the Super Bowl is going to raise some eyebrows. Do they have the right? Absolutely. Is it going to offend some people? Absolutely."

Fujita also talked about having progressive gay rights views and speaking openly about them within the NFL:

"By and large, the players are more tolerant than they get credit for. It’s not a big issue. Some guys will think you are crazy for believing one way, but they’ll still accept you....It’s just me standing up for equal rights. It’s not that courageous to have an opinion if you think it’s the right thing and you believe it wholeheartedly.”

Fujita2 Fujita made similar statements in an October '09 interview in the Huffington Post:

"I have no concern about [being stigmatized] whatsoever. I know who I am. My wife knows who I am. I don't care one way or the other Dave. I imagine that when some of this gets out guys in the locker room might give me a hard time, and they always give me a hard time. They call me the Pinko Communist Fag from Berkeley. I'm used to it. I can take it all."

And his most salient point:

"By and large in this country the issue of gay rights and equality should be past the point of debate. Really, there should be no debate anymore."

The Saints Linebacker Who Speaks His Mind [nyt]

Comments

1. Bravo! A well-reasoned, insightful, thoughtful man in the NFL-who woulda thunk it?-especially in a sport where fundamentalist christianity is shoved down the players throats from their coaches on down- (ex colts coach -Mr. Dungy for example. A refreshing point of view from a man who obviously is comfortable in his own skin-an anamoly in most professional athletes.

Posted by: NIck | Feb 3, 2010 7:49:58 AM

2. Well, all I can say to that is GO SAINTS!

Posted by: Hank | Feb 3, 2010 8:16:08 AM

3. Another fine athlete who stands for something worth listening to.

Posted by: DR | Feb 3, 2010 9:08:44 AM

4. Wow... a thoughtful and intelligent man in the NFL. Who knew? I still won't be watching the game though.

Posted by: matt | Feb 3, 2010 9:25:22 AM

5. Cool - good for him! I like the Saints but am a lifelong Colts fan. Go Colts!

Posted by: KFLO | Feb 3, 2010 9:25:53 AM

6. Great for him -- but isnt the issue that Focus on The Family is a hate group that spreads lies to increase hatred of gay people - selling them as a pedophile threat to America

Posted by: Walter | Feb 3, 2010 9:37:30 AM

7. I wonder if he knows that his beliefs, so natural and sensible to him, mean so much to so many gays and lesbians.

How do you tell this man how terrific he is? How do you show gratitude? Saying "thank you" doesn't seem like enough.

Posted by: David T | Feb 3, 2010 9:44:51 AM

8. Too bad Fajita won't be testifying at the DADT hearings.

Maybe if they heard "should be past the point of debate" from a real man -- a Super Bowl star -- it would make an impression.

Posted by: Elias | Feb 3, 2010 9:58:51 AM

9. Fujita has nothing to do with FOTF or Tebow. This article is about a pro athlete who has NOT signed onto that hate agenda like Tebow (who imo is a probably a good person who is doing a bad thing out of ignorance).

Kudos to Fujita for being a human being; it's not that hard to do but many fail.

Posted by: ant | Feb 3, 2010 10:00:00 AM

10. @DavidT: There's an easy way tell Fujita how grateful... 2 simple words: Who dat!?!

Where Fujita is absolutely right is Tebow is entitled to his *opinion*. Just as people on the other side should be encouraged to speak up as well. Scott Fujita is a man shaped by his experience and education and is an asset to professional sports.

Geaux 55! Geaux Saints!

Posted by: briand | Feb 3, 2010 10:30:18 AM

11. Amen and I second that, Go Saints!

Posted by: Sikes | Feb 3, 2010 10:32:48 AM

12. Wow, so very well said! Looks like I will be watching the Superbowl after all so I can see this guy kick some ass! :O)

Posted by: Wicked Gay Blog | Feb 3, 2010 11:11:11 AM

13. I don't believe the issue has EVER been whether or not Focus on the Family should "have the right" to place such an ad. The issue, as least as I see it, is why Focus on the Family should be allowed to place a highly controversial advocacy ad by the same network that has THREE TIMES, on THREE DIFFERENT occasions, in THREE DIFFERENT years, refused to air an ad from the UCC because, according to CBS (and ABC and NBC) the message of full spiritual inclusion of ALL people was simply too controversial for their network. THAT is the question here.

I'm all for free speech but NO ONE can claim that allowing this ad and denying the UCC ad is supporting free speech.

I know they say that their policy has changed but it's clear that their policy changed specifically for FOF. Not only are they allowing their controversial advocacy ad, but we learn today that they have spent MONTHS helping FOF CREATE the damned thing.

They have yet to reasonably explain the discrepancy of treatment of the UCC.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 3, 2010 11:19:41 AM

14. Should I really care what his point of view is over any one else? We are all entitled to our own views even when logic and common sense would tell us different. This is what makes our country great and only when we keep and protect these values will we stay great. It's a shame the money spent to tear down the principles that our founding fathers (all male) had the wisdom to establish this country. If you think two washers or two bolts work as good as a nut and a bolt you can surely do so. Take a look around brother, what do you see in nature? What would Darwin say? Every one needs some thing to stand for.

Posted by: PRO III | Feb 3, 2010 12:14:04 PM

15. Huh. Self-confidence and maturity and comfort with people from all walks of life, even/especially those very different from one's own.

I didn't realize just how sexy that could be until now.

WHODAT?!?

Posted by: AG | Feb 3, 2010 1:05:54 PM

16. New Orleans really needs a reason to celebrate. Saints, I hope you give it to them. Mr. Fujita...be happy, and prosper!

Posted by: Perry | Feb 3, 2010 2:49:53 PM

17. another reason to love the saints.

WHO DAT SAY DEM GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS?

Posted by: Tony | Feb 3, 2010 5:39:25 PM

18. I LOVE SCOTT FUJITA!

I've been a fan for a long time. I've followed his career from HS to Cal Berkeley to the NFL. He's a very intelligent guy.

GO SAINTS!

Posted by: LTP | Feb 3, 2010 7:05:45 PM

19. Very well said Tampazeke.

Posted by: EquineFedora | Feb 4, 2010 2:46:58 PM

20. I'll be rooting for Fujita & the Saints to win on Sunday! It's great to hear people (who you wouldn't necessarily suspect) stand up for equality. He's seems like an absolutely delightful person :)

Posted by: daws | Feb 5, 2010 11:53:10 PM

21. scott fujita is a good man.

Posted by: nic | Feb 6, 2010 4:03:19 AM

22. I know who I rooting for tomorrow!!!! GO SAINTS!

Posted by: chadnnocal | Feb 6, 2010 11:59:59 AM

23. ProIII,
    Homosexuality is found in every mammal species, so Darwin would scarcely be surprised. If you think homosexuality is unnatural, why the fuck are you trolling a gay blog? Just can't keep away, can you? That secret fascination with gays and gay sex just pulls you, doesn't it?

Posted by: Clay | Feb 6, 2010 2:22:25 PM

24. Another example of having been disciminated against because he comes from a diverse background (an adopted parent of Japaneese descent)produces an intelligent, thoughtful man who believes in equality for all. The fact that he would be called a "Pinko Communist Fag from Berkley" in the locker room is quite sad. I know this isn't the answer, but part of me wishes that when that happens, be would just pound the name-caller in the ground!

Posted by: Bob | Jun 25, 2010 9:57:33 AM