Carl Levin | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military

Air Force Secretary Supports Repeal of DADT

DonleyAir Force Secretary Michael B. Donley was questioned by Jo Lieberman and Carl Levin during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on Capitol Hill today. Donley was asked by Levin his personal opinion on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and the Air Force's highest ranking civilian gave a gave very surprising and very direct response. He said:

“I support the president’s efforts to change the policy and change the law in this area.” Donley continued and had the following to say about dismissal cases that had passed by his desk in the past: “My experience is that these cases and that the issue of good order and discipline and unit cohesion, is that it does not depend on gender or orientation – it depends on conduct."

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton A. Schwartz was also questioned but he had something quite different to say. According to Schwartz, “acting (to repeal DADT) now is premature.”

Comments

1. OMG finally -- it was like half the military "leaders" of America were a bunch of pussies afraid of all things gay. I still don't understand how gay soldiers can be so good to serve a country that kicks dirt in their eyes.

Posted by: X | Mar 4, 2010 7:11:16 PM

2. “My experience... is that it does not depend on gender or orientation – it depends on conduct."

Good man!

Posted by: damien | Mar 4, 2010 7:20:15 PM

3. Hate to break it to you guys, but having someone from the air force support the DADT repeal hurts its chances more than it helps among those in the rest of the military. They don't take the chair force seriously.

Posted by: LetSodomRing | Mar 4, 2010 7:45:50 PM

4. Those screams you hear are coming from Donley, probably still being given the lash by his boss phony repeat PHONY repeal "supporter" Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.

The panties of many gays, including some "gay org" "leaders," are still wet from the moment a month ago when Gates baited everyone with his alleged and cowardly "personal" opinion that DADT should be repealed. That sent them into such Sally Fieldish multiple orgasms, squealing, "He likes us! He really likes us!," following on the floor and speaking tongues that they totally missed "the switch": telling Congress BUT YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT REPEAL UNTIL WE FINISH OUR MAGIGAL "STUDY" [thus empowering existing repeal opponents and fence sitter to do nothing].

Of course, that "study" will not be done until December 1 which is, oooooops, a month after the midterm elections that will KILL repeal if it hasn't been passed by the time the new Repugs take their seats.

Gates's real title is "Secretary of Defense of DADT"!

WAKE UP 'MOs and start doing what you SHOULD have done a month ago: DENOUNCE THIS STUDY FOR THE "RUN OUT THE CLOCK" FRAUD THAT IT IS!

As for other branches allegedly not taking the Air Force seriously...who the fuck cares? All the military is supposed to be controlled by civilians and NOT the other way around!

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Mar 4, 2010 9:22:45 PM

5. To paraphrase, Judge me not by the quality of my blowjobs but by my conduct and character.

Posted by: alfredo | Mar 4, 2010 10:13:44 PM

6. I've said it before here, and I'll say it again, after eight years I'm tired of waiting to be able to support integrity first. I'm done. If I can't be honest about who I am then they don't get to use my talent. Fuck them.

Posted by: Chris in DC | Mar 4, 2010 11:33:41 PM

7. This is pretty amazing coming from the all too Xian Air Force.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 5, 2010 12:41:33 AM

8. Sorry folks, but this statement from Air Force Secretary isn't all that positive.

First, he uses the language "change the policy" instead of "repeal the policy." Any change that doesn't result in total repeal of DADT isn't going to give us the results the we need.

Second, his statement about conduct vs. orientation is not substantively different than the DADT policy in place now. Under DADT tell, gays and lesbians are allowed to serve -- they're just prohibited from conducting themselves as gays and lesbians in any way, shape, or form. In my opinion, the Air Force Secretary's language is artfully designed to say that everything we're doing now is just fine and repeal is unnecessary.

Posted by: Rich | Mar 5, 2010 6:14:44 AM

9. Thanks for the insightful analysis RICH. I hope you're wrong, but (sigh), you're probably right on target. At least that's more in line with what I expect from the Air Force.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 5, 2010 11:25:54 AM

10. IIRC, the armed forces' secretary positions, while executive, are political appointees, and usually civilians, although they may have military backgrounds. Therefore I expect that this Air Force Secretary is an Obama appointee.

What else is a political appointee of Obama going to say, given that Obama campaigned on repealing DADT?

Posted by: RedCedar | Mar 6, 2010 8:48:03 PM