Adam Lambert | Alexander Skarsgard | Argentina | Atlanta | Betty White | China | Crime | Facebook | Gay Marriage | Kellan Lutz | Mario Lopez | Maryland | Nature | New Hampshire | News | Roy Ashburn | San Francisco | Washington DC

News, Seed Vault, Mario Lopez, Chatroulette, Roy Ashburn, Atlanta

roadChatroulette map.

roadFacebook to take over entire internet with Facebook pages.

Blackpenguin  roadRare all-black penguin discovered.

roadMario Lopez to be a father.

roadMaryland state senator Nancy Jacobs introduces bill to block state from recognizing same-sex marriages performed elsewhere.

roadDevotion: Sons pull mother on 4,500 trek around China.

roadHundreds of gay couples in D.C. seek marriage.

roadMay 8: Betty White to host SNL.

roadReferendum on same-sex marriage brings out conservative New Hampshire Republicans who want to overturn it: "Ballot articles calling for a statewide referendum passed in at least 42 towns, according to results compiled by the New Hampshire Union Leader. The results so far indicate a clear majority of Granite Staters want to vote on a constitutional amendment defining marriage, said state Rep. David Bates. The Windham Republican has spearheaded a grass-roots campaign to place the non-binding measure on town ballots."

roadGay City News, Jennifer Vanasco, and Joe.My.God on last night's event with Ted Olson and David Boies at the New York Times headquarters.

roadAdam Lambert is a trojan warrior for Flaunt.

Ashburn  roadGay groups reach out to California state senator Roy Ashburn: "In response to the senator's admission (he is gay), organizations advocating equal rights for gay and lesbian Californians at both ends of the political spectrum have publicly offered to meet with the embattled legislator."

roadKellan Lutz gets ready to work out.

roadGay SUNY Oneonta lacrosse player Andrew McIntosh profiled by the Daily Star. "'It didn’t really faze anybody,' Tom Kelly, 21, a SUNY Oneonta junior, said after the Red Dragons’ practice on the allweather field near Hunt Union on Tuesday. 'It’s not really looked at, 'he’s homosexual,' _ he’s our teammate. ... We’re still all very comfortable together.'"

roadBromosexuals: openly gay men who are routinely mistaken as straight.

roadTwo Lithuanian men jailed for life for gay man's murder. Three Slovenian men jailed for a year and a half for attack on gay man. Four gay Jamaicans attacked by mob.

roadSF Board of Supervisors postpones decision on emergency aid for LGBT Center.

roadWatch: Full 'Twilight: Eclipse' teaser.

Vault roadDoomsday Seed Vault reaches 500,000 crop milestone.

roadCreators of Fantastic Man magazine launch sister title: "Expectations for The Gentlewoman – aimed at a thoughtful and sophisticated female reader – have been high among the planet's style afficionados."

roadAlexander Skarsgard lunches in L.A.

roadJudge nullifies same-sex marriage in Buenos Aires

roadAtlanta Eagle 8 in court today over bar raid.

roadCorey Feldman on Haim: "...where were all these people the last 10 years, the last 15 years of Corey's life? … Where were all these people to lend a hand out, to reach out to him and say, you know, you're a legend, you're an amazingly talented, wonderful person who's really never gone out of his way to hurt anybody other than himself. He was there for his mom and he took care of her. He's always been a good person."

Comments

1. Andrew McIntosh, cute... and great story. It's amazing how things are changing for the youth in the nation, but there is a long road ahead. Uplifting story Andy.

Posted by: CJ | Mar 11, 2010 3:44:41 PM

2. OK, I am sympathetic about the death of Corey Haim. It's really sad to see someone self-destruct in the way that he did but for Corey Feldman to suggest that Haim was a legend, come on!!!

Posted by: Jake | Mar 11, 2010 3:53:15 PM

3. Haim popularized the pompadour mullet, which will live on in legend...and in the dreams of the chosen few.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 11, 2010 4:01:36 PM

4. LOL ! Two lacrosse players with the micky names McIntosh and Kelly! One comes out and the other supports him. Another shot to the gay Leftist anti-athlete crowd. But of the two Duke lynch-mobber Andys, Towle & Humm, I'll at least give the Towle one credit for not trying to hide from the story.

Posted by: JT | Mar 11, 2010 4:07:41 PM

5. Is bromosexual the new "straight acting"? *eyeroll*

Posted by: Alex | Mar 11, 2010 4:08:37 PM

6. Well you go Tank with your fly pompadour mullet, like for sure.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 11, 2010 4:12:21 PM

7. C'mon, the pomp mullet will live on in legend like bigfoot...unless you go south of the mason dixon, and then it's as common as a woman with a black eye at a nascar event.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 11, 2010 4:20:56 PM

8. Gay groups SHOULDN'T reach out to Roy Ashburn...for crimes against (gay) humanity, he should be SHUNNED by the gay community.

All he ever did was hurt the gay community, now we want to take him in our arms and give him a hug....BS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: CB | Mar 11, 2010 4:30:53 PM

9. @Alex

Is there something wrong with gay men who are masculine in your eyes?

Posted by: MusicBoy | Mar 11, 2010 4:32:53 PM

10. @musicboy, no. but I find the constant need to codify gay men on a butch/femme spectrum to be a) old and tired and b) limiting. I have a variety of gay male friends of different ages and basically they are all men and they are all "masculine" to me in that they look like men and act like men even when wearing expensive jeans and discussing Lady Gaga. It's just all stupid and smacks of the kind of elitism that gay men love to throw around to mask some sense of shame about themselves. If it's not money, it's fashion, or their bodies, or their "butchness."

Posted by: Alex | Mar 11, 2010 4:56:54 PM

11. Alex, I agree, but when does it end? This same argument arises when someone refers to mean as "feminine" and now it arises when gay men are referred to as "masculine". Both types exist and should exist without issue, for men AND for women. I welcome the day when it doesn't matter. Personally, as a masculine acting gay man I prefer other masculine acting gay men, but I do not take issue with men who are feminine or otherwise. We are who we are, getting upset at every little aspect of life isn't going to help improve our lives.

Posted by: CJ | Mar 11, 2010 5:12:04 PM

12. Caption of black penguin:

"And just what the fuck do you think you're looking at, punk? Huh? Speak up before smack the taste outchoh mouth, bitch!"

Posted by: TANK | Mar 11, 2010 5:18:10 PM

13. @CJ, I think the words "masculine" and "feminine" are all connotation and no denotation. What is "masculine" and what is "feminine" is not set in stone. i.e., the Beatles' bowl cuts were certainly not "butch" back in 1964, but they would be today.

I think categorizing people that way smacks of misogyny and misogyny is never a good thing.

I dated a guy who worked in fashion, has dyed platinum blonde hair, loves college football and beer and kicked the asses of two guys who tried to gay bash him. Where does he fit in on the masculine/feminine spectrum? It's all so relative.

I also find articles like this to be shallow and pointless. That whole "Sex and the City" gay is someone I don't know . . . and I live in New York. Where are these writers hanging out?

Posted by: Alex | Mar 11, 2010 5:20:25 PM

14. @Alex

I think we agree on this, even if we're quibbling over semantics. Like you, I find the term "straight acting" to be unhelpful, and I even hesitated to use the word "masculine", because it comes with its own baggage.

I certainly agree that the butch/femme dichotomy is limiting, but I would even broaden it further to include top/bottom, bear/twink, and any number of other artificial classifications.

Posted by: Musicboy | Mar 11, 2010 5:24:58 PM

15. @musicboy "I would like to point out that it does cut both ways though. It gets rather tiring to constantly hear "What kind of self-respecting 'mo are you?" or "I'm gonna revoke your Pink card!" if, say, it comes out that I don't particularly care for Madonna."

And I hear you on the top/bottom, bear/twink , etc. I guess I'm lucky my friends just don't fall into easy categories. One of the butchest guys I know is a big opera queen and one of the femmiest guys I know is into athletics. Viva la diference!

Posted by: Alex | Mar 11, 2010 5:35:29 PM

16. ALEX and MUSICBOY, excellent points. Shame we aren't speaking in person as this would make for a great discussion. You've definitely given me food for thought. A shame that gender stereotypes will still continue to be utilized in the free market to define personal identities in order to profit from product segments. Then again, the point I was attempting to make is that gender identity in sexuality will always be an issue as it certainly defines what individuals find to be "sexually attractive". My usage of "masculine" was to demonstrate my sexual preference towards masculine men. If humanity lost descriptors in gender identity and everyone simply became indistinguishable through terms such as "masculine" and "feminine", then what is the result when sexual preferences occur? That is, individuals, both hetero and homo, male and female, masculine and feminine, find different qualities sexual appealing. If those qualities were to become blurred or non-existent, then does what we find sexually appealing change as a result or do we simply define those terms differently? If so, what do those terms become? Is it simply the language/semantics that popular culture utilizes to characterize such terms, and if so is it simply enough for society to view those terms in different contexts without actually changing the meaning of "masculine" and "feminine" (i.e. masculine unconsciously referred to as "good" and feminine referred to as "bad")?

Posted by: CJ | Mar 11, 2010 5:51:50 PM

17. @Alex "I see what you're saying and I once got called out for liking "straight" music when I said I liked Arcade Fire. I was baffled. I was also amazed when I found out my preference for brown liquor and beer over vodka was labeled as hetero. I had no idea liquor had a sexuality."

Wow. That's incredible.

"And I hear you on the top/bottom, bear/twink , etc. I guess I'm lucky my friends just don't fall into easy categories. One of the butchest guys I know is a big opera queen and one of the femmiest guys I know is into athletics."

Yeah, I think that, in fact, most people can't be pigeonholed into categories that easily. I think we're both objecting to the tendency to try to pigeonhole others.

"Viva la difference!"

I'll drink to that. Bourbon, please.

Posted by: Musicboy | Mar 11, 2010 6:03:07 PM

18. @CJ, I guess I don't personally bother with the "masculine" adjective too much when describing people I'm attracted to. I'm either attracted to a guy or I'm not. Of course, my tastes tend to be for guys that are built and/or solid and furry . . . but is that inherently masculine? Is a slender, toned guy feminine? And there are things I like such as "guys who cook" or "a guy I can take to the opera" which are traditionally "feminine" traits . . . It's a tangled web of semantics. I grew up in a Cuban family, so machismo is a big thorn in my side.

Anyway, this debate has been going on for a while and it's all well and good, but that bromance article really was just microwaving some ideological leftovers.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 12, 2010 12:03:56 AM

19. @musicboy, mmm bourbon! cheers!

Posted by: Alex | Mar 12, 2010 12:04:16 AM

20. I think we agree on this, even if we're quibbling over semantics. Like you, I find the term "straight acting" chatroulette to be unhelpful, and I even hesitated to use the word "masculine", because it comes with its own baggage

Posted by: Chatroulette | May 22, 2010 1:48:38 PM