"Ex-Gays" | Adam Lambert | AIDS/HIV | Deaths | Desmond tutu | Diana Ross | Disney | Elton John | GLAAD | Kenya | Kim Zolciak | Las Vegas | News | South Korea | Tracy Young | Uganda

News: Elton John, South Korea, Desmond Tutu, Call Bear

roadNut arrested for death threats against Elton John. Threat video.

roadAIDS clinic, gay leader targeted in Kenya: "The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) clinic had been threatened with attack on Christian radio station Baraka FM with a closure deadline of today, 12 March. Their broadcasts said: 'homosexuals are not human beings and should be treated as such'."

Tutu  roadArchbishop Desmond Tutu in the Washington Post: "Hate has no place in the house of God. No one should be excluded from our love, our compassion or our concern because of race or gender, faith or ethnicity -- or because of their sexual orientation. Nor should anyone be excluded from health care on any of these grounds."

roadWay better than the Twilight: Eclipse trailer.

roadRoverta Boen, opened first gay bar in northeast Florida, dies.

roadFormer Marilyn Musgrave staffer now a gay rights supporter.

roadConfessions of a Las Vegas Call Bear: "So, yes: I'm a Las Vegas call bear. But don't be fooled into assuming that all my clients come from the world of the bears. Far from it. The men who hire me run the gamut from 18-year-olds who want their first male-male experience to be with a man who knows what he's doing to men in their 80s who just want to be held by a lumberjack type for an hour. They might be fat, they might be average, or they might have bodies so perfectly sculpted they should be underwear models."

Satc2  road New promo photos for Sex and the City 2.

roadHeeeeere's Johnny: Best cuckoo clock ever.

roadDisney refuses to add "ex-gays" to its anti-discrimination policies: "Greg Quinlan, director of Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays (PFOX), presented the resolution at the recent annual shareholders meeting in San Antonio. But he explains that Disney board chairman John E. Pepper 'responded in saying that the current policies were very inclusive and were very broad and that they could not lift every possible nuance to come.'"

roadThe Absolut Hunk is now the Charisma Bath Towels Hunk.

road'Shades of Yellow': The first Hmong LGBT support group in the world.

roadTracy Young coy about relationship with Kim Zolciak: "I’m not at liberty to say all the personal details, but we have a lot of similarities and a very strong connection. She’s a great friend and I adore her, but it’s kind of complicated."

Msross  roadShe's coming out: Diana Ross announces North American concert tour dates.

roadGay servicemembers have a hang-out in South Korea: "This cluster of trendy bars, with names like 'Queen' and 'Always Homme,' is a 10-minute walk from Yongsan Garrison, the U.S. military’s flagship base in South Korea. The Hill is one of the few places gay and lesbian U.S. servicemembers can be somewhat open about their sexuality while stationed in the country."

roadAdam Lambert to release make-up line?

roadGLAAD President Jarrett Barrios speaks out against cancellation of gay storyline on One Life to Live: “Last summer, One Life to Live brought a ground-breaking relationship into the homes of millions with Kyle and Fish’s story, one that built acceptance and understanding of gay people,. While we understand that the close of storylines is a frequent occurrence on daytime dramas, canceling this story just as it gains momentum is a step backward in ABC Daytime’s representation of the lives of gay Americans.”

Comments

1. I never knew that asian "bears" liked to be called pandas. Now, I'm going to laugh at that, and really, really hard. In fact, I'm willing to be called a racist for laughing at that.

Bears, otters, twinks, twunks, leatherdaddies, and on and on and on. FUcking ridiculous.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 12, 2010 3:30:54 PM

2. I really appreciate the support the LGBT community gets from Archbishop Desmond Tutu. While I am not religious, Tutu seems to me to embody the spirit of Jesus. Too bad that so many other self-avowed Christian leaders do not have the same understanding.

Posted by: voet | Mar 12, 2010 4:09:36 PM

3. Desmond Tutu freakin rocks.

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | Mar 12, 2010 4:10:38 PM

4. Having spent 13 months in Yongsan, I know "the Hill" well. I found myself in Korea and this placed help tremendously with coming out among other servicemembers. Fairly accurate article; however, would be a little nervous having this published. The soldiers/airmen/marines that frequent this area were very proud at keeping it to themselves. The Hill wasn't a secret, it just wasn't talked about. I hope it remains uneventful.

Posted by: JNJ | Mar 12, 2010 4:35:30 PM

5. I'm one degree of separation from Rusty the call bear. All I can say is, You Go, Bear!

Posted by: nick | Mar 12, 2010 5:00:31 PM

6. As a gay Asian, that is the first time I've every heard the term Panda applied to hairy, bulky Asian men.

Posted by: Gyeong Hwa Pak | Mar 12, 2010 5:11:06 PM

7. HA! Before a recent trip to Las Vegas for work, I ended up chatting with Rusty on 411... I was a tad disheartened to find out he was a call bear, and the sad realization that I'd only have a chance of hooking up with him if I paid for it. Oh well.

Posted by: Griff | Mar 12, 2010 7:09:37 PM

8. I have no doubt that following his death (and may he have long life), His Grace, Desmond Tutu will be added to the list of "Blessed" on the roster of Anglican saints. Now that man is a true Christian.

Posted by: Contrarian | Mar 13, 2010 12:06:13 AM

9. Bishop Tutu's a great guy who's led an interesting life. He's been living up to that peace prize ever since he was awarded it. Now it's not that he's any more or less of a christian than fred phelps (just as much of a christian), he's just a good person. Why is it that most people don't get that?

Posted by: TANK | Mar 13, 2010 12:30:50 AM

10. "it's not that he's any more or less of a christian than fred phelps (just as much of a christian), he's just a good person. Why is it that most people don't get that?"

Bishop Tutu's words are the reflections of a man who takes the teachings of Jesus to heart. Jesus didn't tell anyone to celebrate the suffering of others or to spread hatred or even to follow everything they read in a Bible. Jesus taught compassion.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 13, 2010 5:43:45 PM

11. "Bishop Tutu's words are the reflections of a man who takes the teachings of Jesus to heart."

There's more to christianity than the teachings of jesus, even according to jesus (or the guy(s) who wrote for him). "Taking the teachings of jesus to heart," is found in all representatives of christianity, including those christians with whom you disagree, who also justify that they're taking the teachings of jesus to heart in, say, being bigoted toward lgbt people. Just because you agree or don't with a christian doesn't make them any less of a christian (for they could say the same about you); it's an entirely arbitrary point given that "true christian" is a meaningless term.

"Jesus didn't tell anyone to celebrate the suffering of others or to spread hatred or even to follow everything they read in a Bible. Jesus taught compassion."

Well, he did say he came to sustain the old testament law, not change it. Now I don't think that what Jesus had to say was unethical--"atheists for jesus" is a fairly common term in many of my exchanges. Golden rule, love thy neighbor, common morality...not too deep on the subject. It's good when you divorce it from god, i.e., divine dictator who threatens you with hell if you don't follow him. However, christians who believe in reorientation therapy (because they really "LOVE" you, etc.) and inveigh against gay marriage, and wish to deny even hate crime law extensions to lgbt americans also claim that they're acting compassionately and consistent with the messages of jesus. They'd say the same things about jesus that you are, and just because you happen to disagree with them, once again, because you pick and choose differently than they do in term of which biblical verses to subscribe and which to overlook (and they do, too), doesn't make them any less of a christian than you are.

Instead, Tutu is a good person not because he follows the teachings of jesus or is a christian, but because he endorses tolerance and acceptance of all walks of life (a secular standard)...and the last time I checked, christianity certainly doesn't have a monopoly on that, and never did.

But to reiterate, I don't think many get that...and that's a real shame.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 14, 2010 9:01:17 AM