Chet Culver | Gay Marriage | Iowa | News

BigGayDeal.com

Iowa Governor Chet Culver Praises Lawmakers for Not Taking Up Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment

Iowa Governor Chet Culver, who believes in opposite marriage, today praised lawmakers for not taking up an amendment that would strike down the state's marriage equality law, the Sioux City Journal reports.

Culver Said Culver: "We stood firm for the civil rights of every Iowan by saying loudly and clearly that any and all efforts to add discriminatory amendments to our state constitution have no place in our state constitution. Regardless of our personal views, we have a line that needs to be drawn between the executive branch and the judicial branch and I think Iowans are ready to move on and accept that unanimous decision. I think the overwhelming majority of Iowans do not want to amend our constitution in such a way that's discriminatory. I think that's the bottom line. I think Iowans want to move forward and the Supreme Court has spoken loudly and clearly and I think it's time to move on."

Not that they didn't try.

As you may remember, in February the Iowa House GOP implemented an obscure House rule to try to get a same-sex marriage ban in front of legislators for consideration. The GOP in the Senate tried the same thing. At least four Democrats have since signed on to their cause.

Comments

1. Just sent him and his state and the legislature a love letter myself.

Please be sure to support them - it makes all the difference knowing you've done the right thing.

Posted by: DuPree | Mar 31, 2010 6:55:19 PM

2. All that and a hot ginger too!

Posted by: Alfredo Zapata | Mar 31, 2010 9:56:21 PM

3. Why is it most of the hot politicians are on our side while the hideous ones are either gay-baiters, gay-bashers or worse, "snorkelers."

Posted by: Cory | Mar 31, 2010 10:57:29 PM

4. "...who believes in opposite marriage..." Is this a joke? Did Carrie Prejean write this article?

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Mar 31, 2010 11:45:08 PM

5. gotta say, the phrase "opposite marriage" is almost offensive to me. opposite of what, exactly? it also leads me to think opposite sex. which, i don't think is the idea.

Posted by: tc | Apr 1, 2010 1:21:26 AM

6. Opposite marriage is when you get married upside down, with your clothes inside out. This hawtee isn't even talking about us >:(

Posted by: Toto | Apr 1, 2010 3:38:31 AM

7. I really have to respect someone who stands up for what's right even if it conflicts with personal beliefs. Something I really wish more politicians would do.

Posted by: Donovan | Apr 1, 2010 7:04:08 AM

8. Let me add my name to the chorus opposed to the term "opposite marriage"...it's almost as offensive as "traditional marriage".

We, as a community, also need to move beyond the terms "same sex marriage" and "gay marriage". These terms were coined by the right wing to make it seem that we are demanding something special when all we are asking for is equality. The gay community and the gay press (including Towleroad!) needs to realize that using the terms "same sex marriage" and "gay marriage" unwittingly helps the right wing make the case against us.

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 1, 2010 8:22:34 AM

9. Hey it only took him 363 days to do it. What a waste of space Governor. Because he has done such a crappy job in his term he will be replaced by a Republican. Thank God the Democrats control both houses.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 1, 2010 10:02:02 AM

10. He resembles an actor that I just can't place at this time... and I must concur, he's handsome; but doing the right thing in spite of political pressure and potential political gains is what saves him from being another "nice on the outside/ICK NAST on the inside" person like Aaron Schock.

Posted by: Dego | Apr 1, 2010 10:14:42 AM

11. The state of Iowa will suffer for its queer, faggot or what ever you sissies call it....Culver will get thrown out on his butt. Queers, how about move to california

Posted by: JT | Nov 2, 2010 9:05:15 AM