Law Enforcement | News | Saudi Arabia | YouTube

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: The Video That Got a 27-Year-Old Man Arrested for Homosexuality in Saudi Arabia

Saudi

A man in Saudi Arabia has been arrested and charged with "homosexuality", among other offenses, after a video he made with a friend was posted on YouTube and went viral in Saudi Arabia.

Arab News reports: "Police First Lt. Nawaf Al-Bouq told Arab News that the 27-year-old man had been previously charged 'with a homosexual case but was bailed out.'  ... 'This time he is facing three charges: One is for homosexuality; the other for general security; and the third is for impersonating a police officer,' said Al-Bouq. The video depicts a young Saudi man dressed in a police uniform inside a vehicle flirting with the man holding the camera. He asks the cameraman for his driver’s license and offers 'comfort.' At one point, he waves around what appears to be a real handgun. Later in the approximately two-and-a-half-minute video on YouTube, he lifts up his shirt and rubs his chest. The video quickly spread online and through SMS until police detained both men involved in the act. Attempts have been made to block the video from being viewed in Saudi Arabia."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @daftpunkydavid

I get where you are coming from, but TRUE marriage equality exists nowhere in the US because of DOMA, to be technical about it.

@Tank
    There are so many problems with what you wrote.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Mar 10, 2010 2:07:07 PM

2. "There are so many problems with what you wrote."

This isn't an argument.

"Mainly, in SA, it depends on who you are and what you have as far as issues of crime and punishment goes, even for this."

This actually makes it worse. Nonsequitur that addresses no problem in what I wrote.

"Which in some ways, is not totally unlike the US (or any other civilization, for that matter)"

This is a separate problem...so what is the issue with what I wrote, kev?

Posted by: TANK | Mar 10, 2010 2:15:41 PM

3. Other than the fact that you don't like it because it offends some kind of multicultural/pluralistic sensibility of yours, I'd expect an actual argument from you if, according you, there are "so many problems with what I wrote".

Posted by: TANK | Mar 10, 2010 2:19:21 PM

4. right, chitown kev,

there's doma in the us; and that's a problem. but there's no doma in canada, or in spain, etc.. my point is that it's unfair to say that your country has full marriage equality because its citizens don't take repression lightly when in fact full marriage equality does not exist.

the us federal government does not issue marriage licenses; so, despite doma, whatever state does pass marriage equality does in fact more than the uk because they have actually said we will not make any difference whatsoever between the 2, not even in name. the federal doma is not the individual states' fault so to speak, even though in the end, as you point out, it results in rendering marriage equality null at the federal level; something the gill lawsuit by glad is challenging by the way.

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Mar 10, 2010 2:23:27 PM

5. The Religion of Peace strikes again!

Posted by: Myackie | Mar 10, 2010 2:27:23 PM

6. I think she is having a rough time right now. She will be punished with many lashes at least. And obviously her family will also suffer from shunning.
    There is nothing that can be done to change that country, where wahhabism is in power.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Mar 10, 2010 2:46:49 PM

7. I like it. Who knew they had such hot cops in Saudi Arabia?

Posted by: charley | Mar 10, 2010 2:56:39 PM

8. It seems that with all the glib insightful commentary here, some appear ignorant or unconcerned by the fact that, like in Iran and other shit hole middle eastern countries, the penalty for "homosexual acts" can result in a sentence of death by hanging or beheading. Funny?

Posted by: Tom | Mar 10, 2010 2:58:36 PM

9. And as a follow up, I guarantee that "she" - whether "she" gets the death sentence or not - is getting the shit beat out of her in prison right now or worse. Funny?

Posted by: Tom | Mar 10, 2010 2:59:28 PM

10. Man, that is just crazy. What we need is an
    "Martin Luther King" for Gay-rights.

Posted by: Dawnell_do | Mar 10, 2010 3:04:35 PM

11. wow glass houses, a lot of these comments seem to have an anti homosexual tone to them as well, referring to a man as if he were a woman. Don't be so pious about another country's laws if you're not doing it right yourself. Its terrible that anyone should be punished for being who they are. It's sad that the people who should be the most understanding are poking fun at his sexual preference. If you want to change the world, you need to start with the world around you (thought about making an M.J. reference).

Posted by: ANDY IN INDY | Mar 10, 2010 3:10:05 PM

12. @Tank

These backward states that uphold human rights violations deserve no respect, for they have defined themselves outside of ethics.- As if the Bush Administration didn't uphold "human rights violations."

"There is no reasoning with a state OR people that sanctions the murder of others because they are gay. Full stop."- My emphasis there on the OR...as if we don't have people here that sanction the murder of gays.

Pastor Steven Anderson anyone?

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Mar 10, 2010 3:25:09 PM

13. "As if the Bush Administration didn't uphold "human rights violations."

Hyperbole is unbecoming. Surely you recognize the difference between a state that executes gay people because they're gay and one that does not. But maybe you don't. Maybe hyperbole is reality for you, and you think that the prisoner tortures at gitmo are equivalent to state sponsored executions of gay people. Is that what you believe? That the war on terror=sharia law?

"By your standard, I could say that at least Sadaam left the gays alone (unless they were Kurdish or Shia)."

What is my standard? I don't think you quite understand it given this remark in particular.

"My emphasis there on the OR...as if we don't have people here that sanction the murder of gays."

And there's no reasoning with them, either. But the difference is that their believes aren't translated into the law the land.

"And surely Tank you should know that for all of the "enlightment" of Europe...the is an underbelly of hatred and bigotry."

Ya know, kev, I never took you for a flat earther (or someone who denies that the earth is round). In this case, you seem to be draw a parallel between western european countries, and even eastern, actually--and muslim theocracies with regard to their treatment of gays. Now, there's a difference between homosexuality being illegal and punishable by death (which it routinely is in muslim theocracies), and a few bigots. IN eastern europe, how many people are tortured and executed for being gay by the state each year? I don't think you'll be able to come up with an answer to that. No, kevin, there is a difference...a tremendous difference between how the muslim world treats gay people and how the western world does. Don't be a flat earther, it's embarrassing. I don't find many intelligent people in that camp.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 10, 2010 3:35:39 PM

14. Ah, I knew I could find this (I should have searched for this first):

"The gay men I interviewed in Jeddah and Riyadh laughed when I asked them if they worried about being executed. Although they do fear the mutawwa'in to some degree, they believe the House of Saud isn’t interested in a widespread hunt of homosexuals. For one thing, such an effort might expose members of the royal family to awkward scrutiny. “If they wanted to arrest all the gay people in Saudi Arabia,” Misfir, my chat-room guide, told me—repeating what he says was a police officer’s comment—“they’d have to put a fence around the whole country.”

A very good article. What they (and perhaps the royal family) are resistant to is "gay identity" not "gay sex"

And yes, Derrick is correct, it's the "flamboyant ones" who catch all the hell.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Mar 10, 2010 4:12:02 PM

15. "In May 2005, the government arrested 92 men for homosexuality, who were given sentences ranging from fines to prison sentences of several months and lashings. Likewise, on November 7, 2005 Riyadh police raided what the Saudi press called a "beauty contest for gay men" at al-Qatif. What became of the five men arrested for organizing the event, is not known."

While it is difficult to collect data on executions, many reports circulate that beheadings and hangings still occur for homosexuality in saudi arabia. Homosexuality is a criminal offense in saudi arabia, where a very strict version of sharia law is implemented to supress and harm the lgbt community there.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 10, 2010 4:23:30 PM

16. Really? No one knew the oppression going on in Saudi Arabia before this video? I've been boycotting oil ever since I could afford to.

As for the guy himself, I don't see him as gay. I think he's struggling with gender dysphoria (sp.) actually.

Posted by: Rodney | Mar 10, 2010 4:34:46 PM

17. To that other Ryan who seems to approve of countries discriminating against others: STFU! Man I'm glad I'm not you!

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 10, 2010 9:11:09 PM