Activism | ENDA | GetEQUAL | Nancy Pelosi | News | Washington DC

BigGayDeal.com

Charges Dropped Against 4 Activists in Pelosi ENDA Protest

Getequal

After pleading "not guilty" in D.C. Superior Court on Tuesday, Jay Carmona, Samantha Ames, Chas Kirven and Michelle Wright, four activists who staged a sit-in at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office, had charges against them conditionally dropped.

DC Agenda reports: "One term of the agreement is that demonstrators arrested March 18 must stay away from Pelosi’s office in the Cannon House Office Building unless invited in writing. Another term is that the protestors must not be arrested under probable cause before Oct. 6. Additionally, Clark said the two protesters who are D.C. residents, Carmona and Ames, must complete 60 hours of community service. Clark noted that because Kirven and Wright aren’t D.C. residents, the D.C. government doesn’t have jurisdiction to require them to meet this term of the agreement. Clark said another term of the agreement is that protesters cannot engage in activity in the U.S. Capitol that the U.S. attorney’s office deems disruptive."

Comments

1. Can anyone tell me exactly what the charges were?

Posted by: Matt McD | Apr 7, 2010 12:14:54 PM

2. The Democratic Party is likely to lose their majority and they need to do stuff that would make their base happy. Maybe the Get Equal group and their friends should get a new bunch of people protesting each week until Nancy realizes what we want.

I would love to vote Republican, but my local nominee is anti-gay. However I am going to hold my nose and vote for my Democratic Party congressman because he supports bills like the Employment Non Discrimination Act and repealing DADT.

Posted by: Matt from California | Apr 7, 2010 1:18:22 PM

3. I don't really understand the anti-democrat position, especially if your congressman does support pro-gay policies. Vote for the person, not the party. My congressman back in Indianapolis is very pro-gay and always votes the way I want him to vote, but that doesn't mean I'm not upset certain issues haven't already been taken to the House floor.

Posted by: beegee | Apr 7, 2010 1:30:00 PM

4. You said it BEEGEE.

Posted by: Name: | Apr 7, 2010 2:12:08 PM

5. Yes, however the 20% I agree with my Democratic Party congressman is the pro-gay issues, but thats why I am holding my nose. The key point I was trying to say is, we got a short period of time before the Republicans take back congress and we need Pelosi and company to be fierce advocates they promised to be.

Posted by: Matt from California | Apr 7, 2010 2:35:34 PM

6. It doesn't matter. This mostly unnoticed publicity stunt didn't change anything. Demands without any threat of recourse are useless. Nancy Pelosi isn't going to do anything because these people acted like children.

To those of you that have romanticized activism and want to engage in these stunts, ask yourself whether or not they change any minds or votes about us. This isn't helping us if it doesn't inspire people to stand with us and support our equality.

Complaining is not an effective strategy.
    Please think of something else. Something effective.

Posted by: AndrewW | Apr 7, 2010 4:49:37 PM

7. @ANDREWW: So, what would you have done? Maybe sent off a monthly stipend to get to wear a lapel pin to tell everyone how really, really sorta ticked off you are about things?

This "unnoticed stunt" got major internet/non mainstream media play. Is that as good as the six o'clock news? No. However, if ten people were inspired to take some action, HURRAH!

I don't think everyone is made for getting arrested (Lord knows me, a grown ass man, have had some searing discussions with my mom on my planned future activities!), however, I fully support those who do what they think is effective. I also know this action didn't take 30yrs and $550 million dollars.

GO ENDA4!