Health | News

BigGayDeal.com

Missing the Toilet at Night Doesn't Seem So Bad

If the other option is cancer.

Toilet "Researchers in the UK and Israel found that when a light is turned on at night, it triggers an 'over-expression' of cells linked to the formation of cancer...The tests were carried out on mice at Leicester University by geneticist Professor Charalambos Kyriacou. During the trial, a group of mice were exposed to a light for one hour. When compared with mice who had been kept in the dark, changes were found in cells in the brain responsible for the circadian clock which controls body function. Dr Rachel Ben-Shlomo, of the University of Haifa, said in the journal Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics that people waking at night would be best advised not to turn on the light: 'We believe that any turning on of artificial light in the night has an impact on the body clock. It's a very sensitive mechanism. If you want to get up to go to the toilet, you should avoid reaching for the light switch. There are some plug-in lights that just glow, that are safe and you could use them as an alternative.'"

(via gawker)

Comments

1. There is a simple solution to this that most men wouldn't even think about and took me a while to figure out. I wake up every night at least once to pee and turning the light one would always wake me up, so i finally realized if i just sat down to pee in the dark I would never miss the toilet and I would barely have time to wake up before falling back to sleep again.

Posted by: Sit | Apr 13, 2010 1:41:27 PM

2. I highly doubt this is a significant enough threat. We have had artificial lights to interrupt our circadian clock for ages. If it increases your chance of getting cancer at all, it's probably by some tiny amount.

Posted by: ravewulf | Apr 13, 2010 1:44:24 PM

3. Gatorade bottle. You don't even have to get out of bed (guys, anyway). Ladies, it's probably not worth juggling the bottle and a funnel, too, so keep on as you were.

Posted by: I. P. Freely | Apr 13, 2010 3:22:13 PM

4. Everything causes Cancer.

Posted by: occono | Apr 13, 2010 4:04:59 PM

5. Yah really, occono. What next, cigarettes? Sheesh! All those fancy medical researchers and their f'antsy ladeedaaa edumacations, changing their minds every other damn month in light of new evidence. All's I know is if I got a problem, aspirin and root beer can fix it.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 13, 2010 4:16:09 PM

6. And after 800 old people have tripped and broken their hipbone because they didn't turn on the light when trying to get to the bathroom, another study will come along and say that turning on the light is a good thing and leaving the light off causes cancer.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Apr 13, 2010 5:09:23 PM

7. Tank: I'm not doubting the research, just the notability.....

Posted by: occono | Apr 14, 2010 5:00:55 PM

8. ladies and gentlemen... I recommend a night light -- it's not bright enough but let's you aim. 'nuf said.

Posted by: David B. 2 | Apr 14, 2010 5:01:46 PM