New York | News | Sean Hayes | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Broadway Montages of 'Promises, Promises', 'La Cage Aux Folles' and 'Sondheim on Sondheim'

Theatre

Here's some Broadway musical for your Thursday — three fairly lengthy montages of  recently-opened Broadway shows Promises, Promises with Kristin Chenoweth and Sean Hayes, La Cage Aux Folles with Kelsey Grammer and Douglas Hodge, and Sondheim on Sondheim with Barbara Cook, Vanessa Williams, and Tom Wopat.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Promises, Promises:

La Cage:

Sondheim on Sondheim:

Comments

1. Barbara Cook, "In Buddy's Eye" - always gets to me. What a nice group of vids - thank you.

Posted by: steve | Apr 29, 2010 9:56:02 AM

2. Promises Promises--Chenowith looks like spraytanned botoxed bobblehead . . . so not Fran. But Hayes and the rest of the show look wonderful. Ben Brantley needs to shut up. I love Bacharach and the score for this show is phenomenal (and didn't need the two extra "hits" for Chenowith).

La Cage--I'm gonna have to see this.

Sondheim on Sondheim--I'm a big Sondheim fan. Major. But I'm glad I waited to see this, because it looks awful. Why does a songwriter as intelligent and sophisticated as Sondheim inspire the tackiest anthologies of his work? Of course, Barbara Cook singing "Send in the Clowns" and "In Buddy's Eyes" is sheer heaven. Tom Wopat as Sweeney Todd not so much.

Posted by: Alex | Apr 29, 2010 10:14:49 AM

3. Thank you for sharing these great clips. Over here on the West Coast of Canada I don't see a lot of Broadway.

Posted by: David C | Apr 29, 2010 12:25:25 PM

4. I agree with Alex. I love Chenoweth, but she is either miscast or misdirected. If you refer back to the original movie, Fran is played by Shirley MacLaine, who is a quiet, sort of mousy character. That's why she is flattered by and is willing to be used by Sheldrake. If she's a bombshell, she could get a man of her own. Otherwise, the show looks fine. I'm old enough to have seen the original, so I miss the bitter anger that Jerry Orbach brought to the part. Sean Hayes is a sweeter presence and a better comedian. Seems like a reasonable swap.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Apr 29, 2010 1:26:14 PM

5. The 'Cagelles' from La Cage were on 'Regis & Kelly' this morning, they were fantastic! Wish I was in NY to see this production. Apparently the critics love it. The theater where La Cage is playing is smaller and more intimate, which, I understand, fits this production to a tee.

Posted by: CB | Apr 29, 2010 2:34:45 PM

6. SAW LA CAGE YESTERDAY. THIS EXCERPT WAS SAD. THE SHOW ITSELF IS A REVELATION. I'VE SEEN SEVERAL INCARNATIONS OVER THE YEARS AND THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST. ALBIN'S PAIN AND LOVE ARE SO PERFECT. HODGE IS A THEATRICAL GENIUS AND TRULY REMARKABLE. I ALSO HAVE TO SAY THAT I WAS VERY SURPRISED AT KELSEY GRAMMAR'S PERFORMANCE. GOERGES HAD REAL DEPTH. OVER ALL A TONY WINNING PRODUCTION..SLEEZE AND ALL.

Posted by: KURT | Apr 29, 2010 3:28:38 PM

7. I saw La Cage on April 10th and LOVED IT!!!!! Great cast and production. It had everyone on their feet dancing and clapping. A must see!

Posted by: Billy | Apr 29, 2010 5:59:53 PM

8. Kelsey...MR. Fox News is too liberal Grammer...where do you stand on GAY MARRIAGE REALLY!
    So it's OK for him to shill for an even MORE RADICAL Right Wing network AND take our money!! OK.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Apr 29, 2010 7:15:53 PM

9. Just saw La Cage, almost 25 years to the date that I saw the original production. It is absolutely AMAZING! Kelsey Grammer is wonderfully cast, the initimacy of the Longacre fits this production perfectly, La Cagelle are a marvel, and Hodge's peformance is one of those rare performances to hit the boards every few seasons that is so perfectly-pitched, it sears itself into your memory. In a word: GO!

Posted by: Joe | Apr 30, 2010 5:26:21 AM