Gay Marriage | News | Terrence McNally | Theatre | Washington DC

Playwright Terrence McNally Marries Partner in D.C.

Playwright Terrence McNally married his partner Tom Kirdahy today in Washington D.C., the AP reports:

Mcnally  "On Tuesday, the 71-year-old playwright and his partner, Tom Kirdahy, 46, exchanged vows on the banks of the Potomac River with the new same-sex marriage law in the U.S. capital. Never mind their 25-year age difference, he said. They don't feel it, except for their tastes in music. During a small ceremony under a tree blooming with white flowers, Kirdahy read from a scene in McNally's play 'Corpus Christi,' in which a gay Christ-like figure named Joshua marries two apostles. 'It is good when two men love as James and Bartholomew do and we recognize their union,' Kirdahy read. 'Love each other in sickness and in health.' Kirdahy, a lawyer and Broadway producer, choked up as he recalled seeing the play before meeting McNally. 'The first time I saw it, I knew that I could love the writer of those words,' he said. Once they met, McNally said, it was love at first sight. Since then, they have battled McNally's lung cancer and worked together, as well as apart. After nearly 10 years and a clean bill of health, it feels like a lifetime, McNally said."

Ironically, Corpus Christi is tearing other parts of the country apart rather than bringing them together.

Actress Tyne Daly served as a witness. Congrats to the happy couple.

Image by Fausto Fernós of Feast of Fools. Nice wedding image here.

Comments

1. Congratulations to a talented couple - how nice to marry in springtime in Washington DC.

Posted by: niles | Apr 6, 2010 9:14:54 PM

2. Don't know them at all,but all i can say is what a beautiful picture of love and happiness.Bigots take note.

Posted by: john | Apr 6, 2010 10:27:36 PM

3. I'm happy for them, but good lord--25 years? What is with this madness of oldies and youngies hooking up?

Posted by: Cole | Apr 6, 2010 10:50:54 PM

4. I usually find big age gaps in relationships kinda icky, yet this pair look alright. McNally is a great talent and I'm very very happy for him.

Posted by: Barro | Apr 7, 2010 12:32:05 AM

5. @ cole + barro

I am 66 years old and have been in a totally satisfying, loving (and monogomous, I might add) relationship with my husband of 86 for 43 YEARS.

So stifle the catty remarks about age difference. My husband and I have more of a devoted and steadfast, loving partnership than either of you likely will ever have with your ageist attitudes.

Posted by: Paul Weidig | Apr 7, 2010 3:55:56 AM

6. Congratulations to the happy couple!

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 7, 2010 6:01:19 AM

7. 71/2 + 7 = 42.5

He passes ;)

Posted by: tpac | Apr 7, 2010 8:13:08 AM

8. Looks like playwright Terrence is robbing the cradle. I am jealous... but at 73, it gives me hope!

Posted by: jerry pritikin | Apr 7, 2010 8:24:09 AM

9. You catty queens need to put down the haterade. (Although the cattiness is part of the reason I love my fellow gays unconditionally...)

I've always been attracted to older men. I thought that when I got older I would grow out of it but I haven't.

Younger guys (I'm in my early 40's) are good for a roll in the hay (sometimes a DAMN good one too) but in terms of partnership, give me older guys everytime.

Congratulations to the couple!

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 7, 2010 9:43:27 AM

10. I want to offer my congratulations to Terry with whom I worked on Columbia's Varsity Show 50 years ago. I'm delighted about his marriage. I also had cancer and am fine now. I snail mailed a letter to Terry yesterday to his NY address, and I hope he'll enjoy it. I happen not to be gay, so I hope you don't think I'm intruding.

Posted by: Betsy Ress Jacobson | May 12, 2010 10:06:08 AM