Music | New York | News | Rick Astley

Watch: NYC Subway Riders Get Rick'Rolled

Rickroll

Male acapella group 'On the Rocks' from the University of Oregon tried to Rick'roll a NYC subway car. And in the grand tradition of ignoring crazy people on the subway, the riders feign complete and utter apathy.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via best week ever)

Comments

1. I don't think is was so much "feigning" as these guys sucked. Seriously, I live in New York where subway singers/musicians are a dime a dozen....this might make for a good story in "Fly Over-Ville", but in the City, not so much...

Posted by: Marty | Apr 5, 2010 3:23:34 PM

2. Yeah, I saw this on Gothamist. Lame. And those Rick-rolled jokes are getting old. Shouldn't these kids be studying for finals or something? Go back to Oregon. We have enough annoying people on the subway, thank you very much.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 5, 2010 3:28:04 PM

3. Nothing against the town itself, or New Yorkers, but I always know I'm going to be bored when someone inserts "I live in New York" into their speech.

Posted by: Kugel | Apr 5, 2010 3:30:24 PM

4. Man was that lame. The best was the black chick behind the guy in the red shirt. I'm just surprised that no one threw up on them. Perhaps if someone had beaten them they'd have gotten a better response.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 5, 2010 3:45:04 PM

5. It's not bad as subway performances go [a little off-key in parts], but I'm sure the effect they were thinking they'd get wasn't there because, well, we see this every day in NYC. It's par for the course. Kudos to them for trying, but really, can we get a new song please? I hated it when it came out, I hate that it's a "joke" on the Internetz and I'd rather not hear it in the subway live either [or ever again].

Also, guys, keep in mind that there are hucksters on so many trains. We ignore them because we don't want to open up our pockets every time someone starts singing or issuing another sob story. Walking out the door in NYC, your pockets already just fly right open and money pours out. Those of us struggling to make it try to hold onto it as long as we can.

But thanks anyway. Good try! Next time, a better song??

Posted by: Madam Bomb | Apr 5, 2010 3:46:39 PM

6. actually really not that bad and the beat box boy did very well considering how long he had to that.. the lead was good even in the face of the "apathy" of NYC..... come to boston and do that on the Green line!

Posted by: AlexInBoston | Apr 5, 2010 3:58:58 PM

7. the guy in the red and the beatboxer are cute...

Posted by: rob | Apr 5, 2010 4:26:59 PM

8. The guys in Paris did it better - with a much better song!

Posted by: TommyOC | Apr 5, 2010 4:37:23 PM

9. My friend and I did a Swedish song on the sub . Went way better.

Posted by: BJ Murphy | Apr 5, 2010 4:46:44 PM

10. This is not just about New Yorkers skillfully ignoring yet another dose of crazy on the subway, though that's part of it. But it is also an illustration of the inexplicable fact that acapella is so much of a cult on many college campuses that a certain type of obliviously privileged upper-middle-class white college student forgets that nobody else thinks acapella is cool.

Posted by: Thomasina | Apr 5, 2010 4:47:03 PM

11. I couldn't have said it better myself, Thomasina. Let the white college kids sing their acapella on campus & listen to their Ben Folds & Barenaked Ladies or whatever, just don't shove it in the face of the public. We mostly think it's annoying.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 5, 2010 5:00:17 PM

12. Love male acapella singing groups! Princeton has the best!

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 5, 2010 5:37:33 PM

13. Well I guess jaded New Yorkers have seen it all. The guys sounded great. The subway riders should be so lucky that they got that live entertainment on their boring ride to their destination.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 5, 2010 8:05:27 PM

14. These guys would have got a lot more attention had they participated in Improv Everywhere's "day without underwear".

Posted by: Rodney | Apr 5, 2010 10:24:38 PM

15. Meh. Boring. They didn't even attempt to entertain. I hope they enjoyed it cuz no one else did. No, we are not jaded, we just prefer to have our down time to ourselves and our own books/music/staring into space.

Get personalities, then come back. Until then, they're just more annoying tourists who think they are clever.

Posted by: tom | Apr 5, 2010 11:20:31 PM

16. These posts make me really glad I'm no longer a New Yorker! Good forbid you relax a little bit and have fun. Soooooo busy being cool!

Posted by: drifterbob | Apr 5, 2010 11:39:28 PM

17. Really good vocal percussion. Decent soloist. Bad arrangement. If they had gotten into it and tried to entertain, they would have sung more in tune. As is, it feels like they're all embarrassed--as if looking uninterested will somehow make what they're doing not dorky. They should have taken the dorkiness and run with it. I want choreography, NOW.

Posted by: Chip | Apr 6, 2010 12:08:12 AM

18. wow New Yorkers are a hard bunch ! only one woman was even smiling .. all others were dead pan faced JEEZE !!! Are New Yorkers really SO JADED ???

Posted by: MarkBoston | Apr 6, 2010 1:45:27 AM

19. I also live in NYC and am exposed to a variety of impromptu musical performances, and these guys were excellent. Riders don't always know how to act because they have to go from being an indifferent rider on an enclosed subway car to being an appreciative listener. Sometimes they make that transition and sometimes they don't.

Posted by: Andy | Apr 6, 2010 1:58:53 AM

20. Fun and the dudes are hott!!!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Apr 6, 2010 2:09:46 AM

21. People still Rickroll?

And as an NYC resident, train rides are my reading/iPod time. I don't like when they are interrupted like this.

Posted by: Alex | Apr 6, 2010 7:39:42 AM

22. In New York you are constantly bombarded by people selling things, singing things, asking for things, trying to give you things. No one is phased by anything. While I appreciate the impromptu music and subway music culture, sometimes you just want a quiet train ride.

Posted by: Ty | Apr 6, 2010 12:50:44 PM

23. Whatever happened to muzak?

Posted by: jakeinlove | Apr 6, 2010 1:59:04 PM

24. i enjoyed it, but i too have been in this situation before and you never know when the shoe is going to drop and they are going to start asking for money, so i think that that has something to do with the uninterested lookings faces--in reality, unlike some of the jaded posters here, which is pretty par for the course--the people were likely interested and just didn't want to show interest. that said, they should have just performed in Union Square...they would have a happy crowd to entertain and actively engage.

Posted by: tofer david | Apr 6, 2010 7:00:36 PM

25. Thank you Ty, I was going to post a reply to a few comments, but you've done it well.

Posted by: DeeVee | Apr 7, 2010 1:53:32 PM