George Alan Rekers | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay Christian Right Leader George Alan Rekers Caught Returning Home from Vacation with 'Rent Boy'

George Alan Rekers, a founding member of the Family Research Council with James Dobson and Amandi Nicholi Jr., was caught returning home from a European vacation in mid-April with a young man he hired on rentboy.com, the Miami New Times reports:
Rekers

"On April 13, the "rent boy" (whom we'll call Lucien) arrived at Miami International Airport on Iberian Airlines Flight 6123, after a ten-day, fully subsidized trip to Europe. He was soon followed out of customs by an old man with an atavistic mustache and a desperate blond comb-over, pushing an overburdened baggage cart.

That man was George Alan Rekers, of North Miami — the callboy's client and, as it happens, one of America's most prominent anti-gay activists. Rekers, a Baptist minister who is a leading scholar for the Christian right, left the terminal with his gay escort, looking a bit discomfited when a picture of the two was snapped with a hot-pink digital camera.

Reached by New Times before a trip to Bermuda, Rekers said he learned Lucien was a prostitute only midway through their vacation. "I had surgery," Rekers said, "and I can't lift luggage. That's why I hired him." (Though medical problems didn't stop him from pushing the tottering baggage cart through MIA.)

Yet Rekers wouldn't deny he met his slender, blond escort at Rentboy.com — which features homepage images of men in bondage and grainy videos of crotch-rubbing twinks — and Lucien confirmed it.

The paper adds

"Rekers is a board member of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH), an organization that systematically attempts to turn gay people straight. And the Huffington Post recently singled out Rekers as a member of the American College of Pediatricians — an official-sounding outfit in Gainesville that purveys lurid, youth-directed literature accusing gays of en masse coprophilia. (In an email, the college's Lisa Hawkins wrote, 'ACPeds feels privileged to have a scholar of Dr. Rekers' stature affiliated with our organization. I am sure you will find Prof. Rekers to be an immaculate clinician/scholar, and a warm human being.') Rekers lectures worldwide, from Europe to the Middle East, on teen sexuality. Yet during his ten-day sojourn with Lucien to London and Madrid, he had no lectures scheduled. Both men deny having sex on the trip, and emails exchanged between the two before their jaunt are cautiously worded."

More background info on Rekers at Truth Wins Out...

UPDATE: Rekers responds to Joe Jervis on Facebook. And here's the rentboy.

Comments

1. Perhaps "lifting luggage" could be a new code word for DL closet cases... This might be humorous if he didn't hurt so many people.

Posted by: John Normile | May 4, 2010 1:56:19 PM

2. Heterosexual Christian douchebaggery at its finest!

Posted by: Bill | May 4, 2010 1:56:59 PM

3. i just got off the phone with eric, he was the polite person that answered the phone when i called the NARTH offices. Eric told me that no one from NARTH has confronted george about the allegations. I was told that on the off chance that the story is true it makes no difference whatsoever to their organization because many people have been able to "change". if you want to contact NARTH their info is here, it was a hoot chatting with them:http://www.narth.com/

Posted by: aa | May 4, 2010 1:57:25 PM

4. Is this photo from the 80's?

I'm sure the trip was part of an intensive conversion therapy for the deluded young man.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | May 4, 2010 1:57:56 PM

5. OK, if I woke up at his age hiring a guy (however beautiful) to go on vacation with, I'd look back at my life and feel absolute shame and regret and emptiness.

Imagine living that life of shameful hypocrital lies.....and pretending you were such a high moralist while condemning others for homosexuality...... it's breath taking in its arrogance.
    There's obviously no concern for truth, love,justice in this toad.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 4, 2010 2:02:32 PM

6. King of the pig people.

Posted by: Jon Mitchell | May 4, 2010 2:04:59 PM

7. Exactly what Jack said. I've got no problem hiring a rentboy if you're looking for something like that, but this is another story.

It must be very lonely to be in that situation. Of course, it's a situation that he made for himself through his efforts to ensure that others are as lonely as he is.

It's pathetic. Just pathetic.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 4, 2010 2:18:14 PM

8. "I am not gay, I have never been gay. I love my wife, but I have trouble lifting luggage."

Posted by: REYnoldo | May 4, 2010 2:20:30 PM

9. loathsome freak of a person. where are all of your 'buddies' in the religious press now? my guess is they may be in your 'carry-on'.

Posted by: Andrew | May 4, 2010 2:20:45 PM

10. "Though he does admit Rekers "likes younger guys to hang out with," Lucien is protective of his erstwhile client. He describes Rekers primarily as a family man — one whose passion for oppressing homosexuals is dwarfed by his desire to help children. "You don't understand how much this guy honestly cares about taking care of kids," he says."

I think we understand exactly how much enjoys taking care of kids.

Rekers is on Facebook. You should friend him!

Posted by: timmmeyyyy | May 4, 2010 2:32:36 PM

11. you all miss the point he was trying to save this young man. he was showing him the evils of the homosexual life style by touring museums and showing all those nudes done by the european gays. and at night showed him the horrors of gay bars. and beside that it is easier than trolling an airport restroom. the long line of hippocrits continues to grow. time for the excuses to fly.

Posted by: walter | May 4, 2010 2:40:56 PM

12. Well, I wonder what Dobson will have to say about this? Will Rekers be kicked out of the evangie-fundie club and exiled to one of his own "gay-conversion" camps, like they did to that other pathetic self-hater, Ted Haggard? I like Reker's excuse: "I had surgery and I can't lift luggage. That's why I hired him." Oh, I intend to have fun with THAT one! It will be enshrined right up there with "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Posted by: jamal49 | May 4, 2010 2:44:43 PM

13. Luggage is a Gateway Drug.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 4, 2010 2:54:55 PM

14. I sent this to his FACEBOOK page:

why am I NOT surprised by the latest Revelations? ..and FYI....NO one,and I mean NO one would care what you were doing ..IF..YOU didn't go around DEMONIZING LGBT TAX PAYING Americans and thier families.........remember that! We Love to Persecute Hypocrits tho! ..so your excuses are lame, you can come down off that cross you're building for your rationale'........So sad, and pathetic..tho no surprising a man your age..."a closeted man" at that...doing this,and NOW because of ALL your Anti-GAY BS..you will be "made fun of"........HOW'S IT FEEL???

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 4, 2010 2:57:43 PM

15. I sent him a letter to his fb page and this is what I got in reply:
    Thank you for taking the time to write to me about the recent “news” story that is a mixture of truth and falsehood. The article truthfully stated that due to surgery I require assistance in lifting luggage when traveling, that I am a professor and I am also a Baptist minister, and it is true as the article states, “Rekers isn't gay himself.”
    I have spent much time as a mental health professional and as a Christian minister helping and lovingly caring for people identifying themselves as “gay.” My hero is Jesus Christ who loves even the culturally despised people, including sexual sinners and prostitutes. Like Jesus Christ, I deliberately spend time with sinners with the loving goal to try to help them. Mark 2:16-17 reads, “16When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the "sinners" and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: "Why does he eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?" 17On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." In fact, in a dialogue with hypocritical religious leaders, Jesus even stated to them, "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. 32For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him. " (Matthew 21:31).
    Like John the Baptist and Jesus, I have a loving Christian ministry to homosexuals and prostitutes in which I share the Good News of Jesus Christ with them (see I Corinthians 6:8-11). Contrary to false gossip, innuendo, and slander about me, I do not in any way “hate” homosexuals, but I seek to lovingly share two types of messages to them, as I did with the young man called “Lucien” in the news story: [1] It is possible to cease homosexual practices to avoid the unacceptable health risks associated with that behavior, and [2] the most important decision one can make is to establish a relationship with God for all eternity by trusting in Jesus Christ’s sacrifice on the cross for the forgiveness of your sins, including homosexual sins. If you talk with my travel assistant that the story called “Lucien,” you will find I spent a great deal of time sharing scientific information on the desirability of abandoning homosexual intercourse, and I shared the Gospel of Jesus Christ with him in great detail.
    I would like to share with you a summary of what I shared with my travel assistant “Lucien” during our recent trip about receiving forgiveness of sins (including homosexual sins) and the free gift of eternal life from God (you can see more complete detail of the text of the booklet I read with him at http://www.iaii.org/Personal_Relationship_with_God.html):
    Fact 1: God wants to have a direct personal relationship with us. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” –John 3:16. “…the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” –Romans 6:23b
    Fact 2: Our wrongdoing separates us from God.“…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God….” –Romans 3:23. “For the wages of sin is death….” –Romans 6:23a. If we are still separated from God on the day we die, we will stay separated from Him forever in eternal suffering. The Bible calls this “hell.”
    Fact 3: Jesus Christ provides the only way we can have a personal relationship with God.The Bible says, “For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.” –1 Peter 3:18a. Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” –John 14:6. Referring to Jesus, the Bible says, “Yet to all who receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God….” –John 1:12
    Fact 4: To receive Jesus Christ we must turn to Him, place our faith in Him, and let Him take charge of our life. “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out….” –Acts 3:19a. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.” –Ephesians 2:8-9. “… if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.” –Romans 10:9-10
    If you are willing to accept God’s gift of eternal life, the next step is to tell Him that you repent of your sins, that you are putting your trust in Jesus’ sacrifice for your sin, and that you want Jesus to take charge of your life. If this is the decision you want to make, here is a prayer that you can use to talk to God:
    Dear God,
    I admit that I have gone my own way and have sinned against You. I realize this sin separates me from You. But I am willing now to stop going my own way and turn to follow You. Please forgive me. I am placing all my trust in what Jesus Christ did for me when He died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sin. Thank you for raising Jesus back to life again. I invite Jesus to be in charge of my life from now on. Amen.
    My sincere and loving hope for you is that you will repent of your sins and turn to Jesus Christ for forgiveness and eternal life in heaven!
    Thank you, again for writing to me.
    George
    www.iaii.org
    www.iaii.org

Posted by: Edd | May 4, 2010 3:21:42 PM

16. What kind of airports does this dope fly through, anyway? Every one I've ever been in has had skycaps/porters to help people with their luggage (and I'm disabled--I need their help, and I never have any trouble finding it).

So Rekers flies out of airports that have none? Sure. So naturally he had to hire a prostitute to help with his bags. What else could the poor man have done?

Posted by: jomicur | May 4, 2010 3:23:34 PM

17. This is a cross-post of comments I've made on a couple of other sites.

The implications of Rekers taking in foster children and adopting a 16 year old boy are deeply disturbing when taken in the context of his own testimony in an Arkansas foster parenting trial. In a compilation of the testimony on the NARTH web site, Rekers states, "“households with a homosexually-behaving male also would contribute to a potentially higher risk of removal due to the sexual abuse of an adolescent male foster child by that homosexual”.

While it would be a leap to claim that Rekers has done anything wrong with the children placed in his care, it certainly gives one pause to consider how many of these viciously anti-gay men have acted out in the private lives exactly what they attack in public.

Here’s the link to the NARTH post: http://www.narth.com/docs/Rati.....al0405.pdf

The quote is on page 3.

Posted by: Smartypants | May 4, 2010 3:23:44 PM

18. I sincerely hope that this completely destroys the credibility of the Family Research Council and NARTH. They have done immeasurable harm to gay citizens in our country. George Rekers proved that what they stand for is built on nothing but lies, deception and self-loathing. Both organizations are nothing but glorified hate groups.

Thank you, EDD for posting that. It really points out how completely "in denial" Mr. Rekers is. He truly is a pathetic excuse for a human being.

I'd love for him to explain why anyone would rent an assistant from a website that says, "Hook up with the Hottest Men" and "Meet Hot & Horny Guys in (your town)"

Posted by: David in Houston | May 4, 2010 3:52:51 PM

19. Alright, someone should crack the whore, and get it to admit that this guy's a closet case. That means paying. I would love to read about this guy putting a gun in his mouth...it'd be awesome.

Posted by: TANK | May 4, 2010 4:08:41 PM

20. I sent him a message and he sent me the VERY SAME Religious Bullcrap diatribe u pasted....he must be getting lots of mail...so I sent him back this...

FYI...I do NOT need your Voodoo..No thank u...as an X-Catholic, and NOW and Atheist / realist who beleives in SCIENCE & REALITY....There is NO GAwd Judging us Puney humans and what we do with our hoo-hoos and pee-pees....it's Man-made BS, to keep the SHEEPLE in Line, and YOUR Coffers FULL $$$ ..in OUR Galaxy with 100's of BILLIONS of STARS/SUNS & BILLIONS of Planets..which is 100,000 lt yrs across..in a Universe with 100's of BILLIONS of Galaxies....we humans are NOT that Important in the scheme of things....we are a mere spec of nothingness. NO one god,he/she/it is judging us.....its religions that Murder and KILL MILLIONS upon millions of human beings in this world. (except Bhudist and Quakers) ..they mind thier own business. You dare talk about LGBT recruiting...that's a laugh! It's your Brainwashing Religion that RECRUITS nitwits....people who can't or won't think for themselves. You need to watch OH GOD with George Burns / John Denver. Now that had a Good message! Please - COME OUT OF THE CLOSET........on 2nd thought - don't..we do NOT want you on OUR team. ..and PS: 99.9% of LGBT people come from HETEROSEXUAL parents.

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 4, 2010 4:14:21 PM

21. Here's Mr George Alan Rekers email address if anyone wants to drop him a line:

gr@gw.mp.sc.edu

Posted by: oliver alexander | May 4, 2010 4:16:10 PM

22. Wow, I'm so totally surprised. Especially with that very heterosexual moustache of his.

Posted by: HomoDM | May 4, 2010 4:28:33 PM

23. This is not about the story posted here per se, but - thanks to the somewhat erroneous reporting I just discovered something even more disturbing: *****************************************************************************It's not "Amandi Nicholi, Jr." - it's ARMAND NICHOLI - Harvard Med School über-shrink and Psychiatry professor.

And while I always suspected he was conservative - I'm shocked that he co-founded the FRA. Good God!

He's been the official shrink to the New England Patriots and countless other sports professionals.

Ya wanna know why homophobia so persistently exists in Professional Sports? Any guesses who's counseling them on the issue of a guy has a question about his sexuality.

Sick.

Posted by: TomJ | May 4, 2010 5:27:07 PM

24. I tempted to send him a link to the song "Georgie Girl" and see what I get back.

Posted by: REYnoldo | May 4, 2010 5:50:14 PM

25. The only arresting statement in the article is that BOTH men deny that they had sex. The fact that the rentboy denied it gives me pause. How sad that Rekers and his ilk create such a vicious climate for us all.

Posted by: Gary | May 4, 2010 6:22:55 PM