Betty White | Saturday Night Live | Video

Betty White Kills On Saturday Night Live

Betty

Betty White took the reins of Saturday Night Live last night for a episode that lived up to the tremendous hype. It's been awhile since I laughed that hard while watching SNL. A hi-lights: A skit called "NPR" and one about a lesbian in Little Women.

Watch a few hi-lights, as well one about a lesbian in Little Women and her opening monologue, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. I watched Betty White on SNL last night and had a ball! What a magnificent, funny, lady who is so full of LIFE! I wish people half, a quarter, or her age could have so much spirit! Happy Mother's Day to our National "mom"!

Posted by: Jim | May 9, 2010 11:03:58 AM

2. Not trying to be bitchy, but it's "reins", not "reigns".

Posted by: jmg | May 9, 2010 11:07:39 AM

3. Betty breathed new life into SNL. In fact, I think last night was actually the first time in eons that I've laughed at all during the show's monologue, much less out loud. The facebook comments were a riot!

Goes to show that comedy is 10% writing, 90% delivery. Hopefully some of the regular cast members picked up some tips. Betty White is an absolute treasure.

Posted by: sparks | May 9, 2010 11:56:01 AM

4. betty white is everybody's mom today. keep rockin' gurrrl.

Posted by: nic | May 9, 2010 11:59:04 AM

5. Betty and the SNL Ladies did kill last night, great heading Andy. The link you posted is down for some reason. Maybe overload. You can see them on Huffpost and NYTimes. They even have a great Debbie Downer skit that was cut. Usually they have so much filler, when was the last time SNL had to cut a funny skit? The Downer skit is on the Times Hulu link.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 9, 2010 12:16:06 PM

6. Betty was divine! A couple of the skits were a little iffy, but I just want to know where I can buy her Dusty Muffin! Loved her.

Posted by: pharmerandy | May 9, 2010 1:11:03 PM

7. She was funny but did anybody pay attention to how many homophobe/don't-drop-the-soap type jokes there were?

Posted by: TonsofT | May 9, 2010 1:21:46 PM

8. Did I see the same show? I hated i. I turned it off after 45minutes because it was such a waste of Betty's time.

Am I THAT off?

Posted by: Derek Washington | May 9, 2010 1:30:24 PM

9. 'He's barking up the wrong lesbian.' ...my new favorite line. (anyone else hoping for an ancient Sue Ann still after a crotchety Lou, with a walk on by Mary AND Blanche....!?? THAT would've brought the house down.)

Posted by: Jeff | May 9, 2010 1:47:58 PM

10. You're not alone Derek and not that off. You shoulda seen Facebook - everyone overpraising a typically poorly-written SNL. It seemed all the writers were interested in was a raunchy 88 yr old woman (raunch is merely desperate without content). Thankfully, the legendary Betty White proved she is still THE classic comic actress nonpareil, and her impeccable timing still 2nd to none. She ROSE above (get it? "ROSE"!?) the material like a 747.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | May 9, 2010 2:17:07 PM

11. RE: The Dusty Muffin: Just because there's snow on top doesn't mean there's a fire down below...LOL! I was waiting for one of the girls to find a hair in the muffin.

Bravo Betty, you warmed our Cockles!

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | May 9, 2010 2:19:19 PM

12. She did a great job, and the writers (gasp!) actually did a great job playing to her strengths and making her look good.

Also, not trying to be bitchy, but the lesbian skit, while Little-Women-esque, is set several decades too late to be a direct LW reference.

Posted by: Adam | May 9, 2010 2:29:25 PM

13. Nobody ever laughs at John Steinbeck jokes...

Good on Betty for trying!

Posted by: BobN | May 9, 2010 2:34:13 PM

14. I have to disagree with Sparks -- that "comedy is 10% writing, 90% delivery." Betty White was wonderful as expected, but some of the material, such as the opening number, was pretty lame and none were as good as Betty herself.
    Some of the better skits I've seen were the unaired, Web-only specials, such as Tina Fey as the Census Worker visiting Betty and Bronx Beat. Debbie Downer's flashback to her childhood, where Betty was her grandmother was also kind of wonderful but too short; the whole skit should have been built around that.

Posted by: MichaelJ | May 9, 2010 2:42:43 PM

15. White was fantastic. But the writing was uneven. I was really disturbed that SNL continues its foul tradition of going to the well of gay jokes. How many skits had gay jokes? I counted 4 in the first 30 minutes. It is amazing to me that this show escapes the attention of GLAAD and the blogosphere.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | May 9, 2010 2:54:10 PM

16. It was all right, and I do think the "Wizard of Ass" line is a classic...just not in that context. The one sad aspect of that skit as that people still accept prison rape as part of an inmate's sentence.

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | May 9, 2010 3:37:43 PM

17. Nice to see Ana Gasteyer again.

Posted by: Rodney | May 9, 2010 3:49:03 PM

18. We're watching it now on the DVR. When Betty was on I was laughing. When she wasn't on, it wasn't very funny.

Posted by: Ray | May 9, 2010 4:11:11 PM

19. EXCELLENT SHOW!
    Thanks Betty!!!
    xo

Posted by: Marc | May 9, 2010 4:24:41 PM

20. Rue McClanahan must b so jealous of all the media attention that Betty's getting. Hope she's not jealous of Betty's boogie! She delivered!

Posted by: Paul | May 9, 2010 4:50:57 PM

21. Interesting choice of words for a headline, steve...especially in light of the post it's above.

The show was...very bad. I really hope that SNL gets cancelled as it's a disgrace to comedy.

Posted by: TANK | May 9, 2010 4:51:29 PM

22. @Jeff - Yes, absolutely. My friends were hoping for a Rose Nylund spoof, but I was hoping for a Sue Ann Nivens one. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Posted by: Grey | May 9, 2010 5:05:44 PM

23. decent episode. But missed opportunity with casting Ana Gasteyer as Dorothy and Rachel Dretch as Sophia.

Posted by: Vince S. | May 9, 2010 5:29:34 PM

24. ... oh God and Molly Shannon as Blanche.

Posted by: Vince S. | May 9, 2010 5:30:12 PM

25. Have to agree. I laughed out loud, and I can't remember doing that recently when watching SNL.

Posted by: David T | May 9, 2010 5:37:46 PM