Betty White | Saturday Night Live | Video

Betty White Kills On Saturday Night Live

Betty

Betty White took the reins of Saturday Night Live last night for a episode that lived up to the tremendous hype. It's been awhile since I laughed that hard while watching SNL. A hi-lights: A skit called "NPR" and one about a lesbian in Little Women.

Watch a few hi-lights, as well one about a lesbian in Little Women and her opening monologue, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Bronx Beat was the most hilarious skit. Betty explaining her young boyfriend/yoga instructor teaching her that YOGA stands for "Yeah Oh God Again" was the BEST line!

Posted by: Stephen | May 9, 2010 5:46:07 PM

2. Aside from Betty's impeccable timing and delivery, there was nothing special about this show. They rely on the raunchy old lady jokes too much.

Posted by: Paul R | May 9, 2010 6:11:09 PM

3. But what was with all the "saying someone is gay is funny" BS?

Over and over and over again. The bomb guy, Gingey, the prison rape routine....

Posted by: really disappointed | May 9, 2010 9:22:00 PM

4. SNL has relied on sophomoric gay jokes for ages, perhaps hitting an apex when Tina Fey was head writer. It's just easy, and they can't get away with mocking most other groups.

It's astounding how unfunny the show usually is when you look at the list of writers at the end. There are at least two dozen, and that doesn't include the "comedians" who star on the show. So you're talking about 40 people who are paid to be funny who consistently fail, week after week, managing to generate 1 or 2 funny skits surrounded by dreck.

Posted by: Paul R | May 9, 2010 10:07:31 PM

5. Loved the entire show, Betty's timing is classic and in control. My 13 year old son loved it too. I was kind of glad they didn't go back to her old characters, they can do that next time she's on. Wizard of Ass and NPR/Muffin were the highlights. And the biggest surprise was how many skits she was in. The hustle and bustle and she never missed a line. See you next season, BW!

Posted by: Ted | May 9, 2010 10:10:31 PM

6. SNL is sick, tired and old. It's sick and tired of being old. (Thanks, Charles Pierce!)
    It hasn't been relevant (or funny) in years, but I watched it Only for Betty. She did not disappoint. You Go(lden), Girl!

^^X^^

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | May 10, 2010 2:06:59 AM

7. Betty was a rock star but SNL's straight boy's club , gay bashing writing is really tired. I was really put off by the prison rape skit. Not funny at all. There are so many guys on the show, really wish the girls could somehow spin off and have their own show with more mature humor.

Posted by: Mike | May 10, 2010 3:00:18 AM

8. I felt sad for her that the quality of the writing was so bad. Really lazy cheap comedy writing. The only genuinely funny thing was the Welk skit at the opening. The rest was just embarrassing.

Posted by: Jimbo | May 10, 2010 8:17:03 AM

9. Yup, the writing sucked. With 40 writers that's the best they can do? I say, shitcan about 30 of them and see if things improve. Too many cooks.

It was nice to see BW, but sad to see so much poor writing exiting her mouth. She deserved better. The NPR skit was great, however, but look what it took: Bringing back two old regulars. And, of course, Kirstin's baby-hands character always creeps me out and makes me laugh.

Posted by: johnny | May 10, 2010 9:25:48 AM

10. I was disappointed that the SNL writers couldn't come up something better than their usual schlock, but I do credit Betty White with doing her best with it.

Posted by: darkmoonman | May 10, 2010 11:11:14 AM

11. I have loved Betty for her MTM and Password years. Always thought playing fourth fiddle on GG to the other scenery chewers there was beneath her. I was suprised that she was in every sketch. I assumed the visiting women would be used to fill scenes Betty couldn't due to age and energy, wrong. They were there to pay respects and try to catch some of the lightning in a bottle. For the cranks who think SNL is less than 100%. It never has been. As a fan since it's first episode and ever since I can say confidently, if there is an age YOU remember it being perfect and supremely funny, that was YOUR golden age, a time YOU were were forgiving of frequently bad skeches.

Posted by: Rikard | May 10, 2010 11:21:27 AM

12. Betty was terrific - the writing however, wasn't all that great. Just goes to show that even average material can be well done in the hands of a true pro. I've watched it twice and with very few exceptions Betty truly carried the show. Now how do we get the queen of sketch comedy, Carol Burnett, to host - she could give them all a master class in comedy.

And they missed a real shot in not going back to the 20 year old clip of the "Golden Girls" episode where Rose, after suffering a heart attack, comes out of surgery with the line "Live from New York it's Saturday Night".

Posted by: ChrisM | May 10, 2010 11:40:35 AM

13. That "Wizard of Ass" line had me. Though I think a lot of the skits wouldn't have been funny with someone else, but Betty made them great.

My other favorite was Seth Myers during the
    Weekend Update calling the Times Square bomber "Muhammad al Corey Feldman". I can't look at his picture now without laughing.

Posted by: rafi | May 10, 2010 3:45:48 PM