Chely Wright | I'm Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

Country Singer Chely Wright Makes it Official: She's Gay

The official People cover story breaks two days early following reports that broke late last week and over the weekend:

Chely-wright "Country singer Chely Wright's reasoning was sound. 'There had never, ever been a country music artist who had acknowledged his or her homosexuality,' she tells People. 'I wasn't going to be the first.' But now Wright is changing her tune. 'Nothing in my life has been more magical than the moment I decided to come out,' she says. Wright, 39, recalls of her youth in the South: 'I don't have a memory in my life that doesn't include the dream of making music.' But during her childhood and rapid ascent to fame in the county world, she also experienced a community in which homosexuality was shunned. 'I hid everything for my music,' says Wright."

Comments

1. I think that's what we call an anti-climax.

Posted by: peterparker | May 3, 2010 12:23:33 PM

2. sorry, who?

Posted by: wtf | May 3, 2010 12:25:41 PM

3. Good for her... I just found out that a kid who played on my D3 college baseball team is gay... way more excited about that. If you're going to do some crazy ass PR stunt, make sure people will care or that shit will blow up in your face.

You know what I think is funny about the whole thing... how must Queen Latifah and Kelly Clarkson feel about being the front runners for a while? At least one of them would have been a big celebrity... this is just silly.

If you want us to forgive you, Howard Bragman, next time you better be bringing Taylor Lautner to the table.

Posted by: Jon B | May 3, 2010 12:25:46 PM

4. Er, didn't KD Lang set the ball rolling on country and western stars - and who the hell is she anyway? Calculated move timed with release of new album - looks like the self serving coming out strategy is now to be a regular on the celeb circuit.

Posted by: Stewart | May 3, 2010 12:30:13 PM

5. Sorry, but KD Lang? I recall her being awfully country at a time.

Posted by: Joe | May 3, 2010 12:30:31 PM

6. k.d was never mainstream country in the U.S.A. Let her have her "coming" out moment.

Posted by: Angela | May 3, 2010 12:40:45 PM

7. I can't wait for the first gay male country star.

Posted by: Wes | May 3, 2010 12:45:21 PM

8. Great for Chely

Posted by: Bill | May 3, 2010 12:46:22 PM

9. Good for her, but this is the celebrity we've been waiting to hear about?
    I have NEVER heard of her.

Posted by: marc | May 3, 2010 12:46:51 PM

10. Yeah, good for her... but I have NEVER heard of this woman. (And I do listen to country music.)

Posted by: Matt | May 3, 2010 1:02:07 PM

11. KD Lang won a Granny for Best Female Country Vocal in 1990; was 1989 female volcalist of the year and 1987 New female vocalist of the year Academy of Country Music Awards

Posted by: Alex | May 3, 2010 1:14:36 PM

12. She's such a minor celeb that this is a non-event....to be polite.

Posted by: TANK | May 3, 2010 1:19:59 PM

13. @ALEX: I don't know if you intended to type 'Granny' instead of 'Grammy', but it is hilarious and appropriate. Mind if I use it?

Posted by: peterparker | May 3, 2010 1:50:58 PM

14. Oh, Andy, you missed a golden opportunity to use this headline:

Country Singer Chely Wright: I'm Gay, Ya'll

Posted by: crispy | May 3, 2010 2:07:19 PM

15. Kd Lang's Shadowland was produced by legendary Owen Bradley. That's bout as country as you can get. Chely needs to step back and respect.

Posted by: Lazycrockett | May 3, 2010 2:12:16 PM

16. k.d. lang never attempted to hide anything 20 years ago and was still extremely successful.

Posted by: Dusty | May 3, 2010 2:23:48 PM

17. that's because k.d. lang has something that wright doesn't...talent and a good voice. Seriously, no comparison. NEXT!

Posted by: TANK | May 3, 2010 2:26:49 PM

18. And the world said: "Who?"

People Magazine and The View are both wasting time and space on this person?

I mean, good for you - coming out and all - but, how is this a cover story?

Posted by: JoeyB | May 3, 2010 2:58:50 PM

19. I am proud of Chely for coming forward. It is not always easy for anyone to come out. And to be someone in the country music industry is really hard. For all the people who are giving her crap because YOU don't know her is pretty unsupportive. Maybe instead of saying you are disappointed because you don't know her you should find out more about her. I have listened to her since her first album and LOVE her!
    WAY TO GO CHELY! And welcome to the FAMILY!

Posted by: Brian | May 3, 2010 3:11:44 PM

20. The album cover and title are unforgivable. I have zero interest in learning more about her.

Posted by: Paul R | May 3, 2010 3:36:29 PM

21. "For all the people who are giving her crap because YOU don't know her is pretty unsupportive" ...

Well, I blame it on no one else but Howard Bragman and all the blogs (incl. this one) that sold this story like to the heavens.

"Oh, come May 5, you're gonna be blown away by the biggest coming-out story that ever was! This person will be in People, on The View, on Larry King Live, on radio, it'll blow your mind, dude!"

Uh, ok. *rolls eyes*

Posted by: Hubert | May 3, 2010 6:09:23 PM

22. I think what people are forgetting is that just because you don't know her, doesnt mean she isnt a "celebrity" of some sort. In 2004 she was the female Tobey Keith, apparences on Glen Beck and a lot of other right wing shows to talk about military support. You may not know her, but the people who watch those shows do and this will get more notice from *that* audience than some 90210 starlet announcing she likes boobs

Posted by: bettyboop | May 3, 2010 8:02:43 PM

23. I listen to tons of country music and I've never heard of this girl... this is about as eventful as my coming out.

Posted by: John | May 3, 2010 9:03:28 PM

24. Hello??? k.d. Lang !!!

Posted by: Jim | May 3, 2010 10:39:35 PM

25. Part of me wonders if the press people knew her coming out wouldn't be seen as a "big deal" to many people, and so the plot was for them to make it seem like it was and then let all the blogs go crazy about the story and figure it out prior to it officially being announced... let the Internet do the dirty work, if you will.

And good for you Chely. As they just said on the episode of "Will and Grace" I watched: "Congratulations and welcome. You'll be receiving your kit in a few weeks."

Posted by: Harrison | May 4, 2010 12:00:50 AM