Music | Washington DC

BigGayDeal.com

Wale Back On DC Black Pride Schedule

Le Rapper Wale, who was accused of homophobia after he canceled a previously scheduled performance at DC Black Pride, will perform at tomorrow's event after all. According to Metro Weekly, DC Black Pride spokesperson Earl Fowlkes said he feels Wale "wants to show that he's not [homophobic], and we don't see any reason, within parameters, why that can't happen."

More from Metro Weekly: '''Wale is going to make a guest appearance and a comment about the situation and we felt like that was appropriate,' Fowlkes says. 'His appearance and his willingness to engage say a lot for his character.' According to Fowlkes, Wale's contract with Black Pride originally would have netted the artist $18,000 for a 45-minute set. Wale will now appear for free as a guest artist, alongside J. Holiday, who stepped in as headliner after Wale backed out."

Wale confirmed the appearance with two tweets about the controversy.

"I'm cancelling what I was supposed to be doin..to go ...yeah ILL BE THERE!! I'm not scared nor do I have any hatred for ANYBODY"

"Didn't know bout the BOOKING or CANCELLATION. ..but this shyt is opening my eyes about how fareweather fans n media works"

Comments

1. That second twit is just precious: Yes, it's ALL about how mean everyone ELSE is, how they SHOCKED and HURT you. How THEY tricked YOU into agreeing to perform at what was clearly stated beforehand to be a gay pride event.

Dude, no one had even fucking HEARD of you before you canceled in a gay panic! Take your pity party somewhere else.

Posted by: DRoseDARs | May 29, 2010 3:37:24 PM

2. I still don't get how he was accused of being homophobic in the first place. The whole thing is just stupid. I give him full pardon on this.

@DRoseDARs The point is we don't know why he canceled, and we can't put words in his mouth to make him seem homophobic. That's not right. You need proof.

Posted by: ravewulf | May 29, 2010 3:41:26 PM

3. Let's set this record straight. He didn't know ANYTHING. His publicist cancelled the booking and that's when the flood of twitters alerted Wale to what was going on.

So yes, he is a victim and it's people like you Drosedars, that are so quick to play the queer victim card that got him into this situation in the first place.

Posted by: Nicholas | May 29, 2010 4:08:19 PM

4. You've heard of him if you like good hip-hop and/or go-go. He was basically accused of being a stereotypical homophobe rapper because of a scheduling mix-up and the sheer ignorance of people.

Let's face it, we're as dramatic as a community as the loudest, most obnoxious among us is personally. Sometimes I'm seriously ashamed at the way we treat our allies.

Posted by: JeffRob | May 29, 2010 5:34:35 PM

5. Rave & Nic: Really? You think an artist doesn't know when they have been booked for awhile and then cancels? The booking part can be overseen and blamed on his management, but I'm sure he backed out when his manager informed him he was to play @ gay pride. So for him to say he didn't know he was booked AND canceled is quite farfetched.

He should be performing if he wants to, not because he's trying to save face, or he wouldn't have backed out in the first place.

But its not Lady GaGa so meh, not interest to me!

Posted by: B | May 29, 2010 5:35:11 PM

6. @B I never said anything about him knowing or not knowing about the booking or cancellation, I just said we don't know the REASON WHY and can't create one for our own purposes.

It could literally be any of hundreds of different reasons.

Preemptively accusing someone of homophobia just because they cancel is stupid.

Posted by: ravewulf | May 29, 2010 7:08:33 PM

7. Rave: Maybe ur name just stuck out to me, I should have just replied to Nic's comment.

Posted by: B | May 30, 2010 4:01:03 AM

8. You've heard of him if you like good hip-hop and/or go-go. He was basically accused of being a stereotypical homophobe rapper because of a scheduling mix-up and the sheer ignorance of people.

POSTED BY: JEFFROB | MAY 29, 2010 5:34:35 PM

No Jeffrob that should have said Sometimes I'm seriously ashamed at the way we treat our African American allies.

Posted by: Yeah Gurl | May 31, 2010 11:33:11 PM