Al Gore | News

Al and Tipper Gore to Separate

Gores Al and Tipper Gore will separate after 40 years of marriage, the AP reports:

"According to an e-mail circulated among the couple's friends and obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday, the Gores said it was 'a mutual and mutually supportive decision that we have made together following a process of long and careful consideration.' Gore spokeswoman Kalee Kreider confirmed the statement came from the Gores, but declined to comment further."

Comments

1. She's country and he's probably the most famous urban liberal in the country. I can see where they would have had their differences. Still, it's sad.

I hope Al emerges from this as steady a rock as ever. God Bless.

Posted by: Rodney | Jun 1, 2010 12:43:40 PM

2. From the blurb, it sounds like they really have thought through it. I wish them both the best.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 1, 2010 12:54:25 PM

3. People grow apart: an inconvenient truth.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jun 1, 2010 1:38:46 PM

4. I'm not surprised. I don't know she's managed to put up with his situation this long... I wish her well.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 1, 2010 1:39:09 PM

5. After 40 years, why not just ride it out???

Posted by: Glynn Beck | Jun 1, 2010 2:00:26 PM

6. That's really sad.

Posted by: ronnykmarshall | Jun 1, 2010 2:08:11 PM

7. I don't know why I didn't anticipate Al Gore bashing on here ... thanks for reminding me the world is full of hateful people, Milkman.

Posted by: Rodney | Jun 1, 2010 2:09:01 PM

8. I wouldn't be surprised if he had an affair. I've been hearing rumors about it for years, and while I obviously don't take rumors as truth, he's still a politician---huge ego, many opportunities, and he learned from the best...Bill Clinton. Though maybe he also got inspiration from John Edwards and the thousands of other politicians (Dem, Repug, or otherwise) who have "strayed."

As for her being country, I think she's as much of an opportunist as him or most people in the public eye. Remember in the 80s when she was the driving force behind labeling records/CDs that she found objectionable? She was considered a naive schoolmarm seeking a national platform. Then they tried to sweep that under the rug in the 2000 election because they didn't want to alienate the liberal base.

Don't get me wrong---I feel sorry for anyone in a long-term relationship that fails. But politicians and their spouses often work from a script that focuses on mutual benefits. Like a business partnership, not a deep all-consuming passion. Clearly that's not always the case, but it's common enough.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 1, 2010 2:13:48 PM

9. Rodney honey I'm not bashing Al. I like Al, and appreciate his lifetime of public service and environmental advocacy. But am I remembering things wrongly when I recall him having been caught in an affair? Wait, maybe I'm thinking of John Edwards. Did they both have affairs, or just Edwards. Lordy, it's hard to keep track of all the infidelity in the world.

"Hate" is such a strong word. I'd think twice about using it so freely.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 1, 2010 2:48:15 PM

10. this is so sad in a lost a frisbee at the beach kind of way...and then I remember that I didn't lose that frisbee at all.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 1, 2010 2:51:44 PM

11. That was John Edwards.

Posted by: Rodney | Jun 1, 2010 3:02:15 PM

12. This is sad. Republicans will probably say their marriage eroded once the Gores came out in favor of same-sex marriage. I wish them the best.

Posted by: KFLO | Jun 1, 2010 3:16:42 PM

13. In fact, Gore probably "lost" in 2000 b/c he wouldn't let Clinton the philanderer campaign with him. Sad, but true, and the world pays the price.

Posted by: David R. | Jun 1, 2010 3:18:41 PM

14. Maybe he got tired of trying to keep a straight face when he addressed her as "Tipper."

Posted by: jomicur | Jun 1, 2010 3:25:48 PM

15. Very sad news. I wish them both well.

Posted by: Hank | Jun 1, 2010 3:28:14 PM

16. Tipper: Al, please take off that peace prize metal and come to bed!
    Al: Never! I'll never take it off!
    Tipper: Don't be silly, sweetie...
    Al: You don't understand! It's all I ever earned for myself. I couldn't even beat a vegetable for the presidency.
    Tipper (thinking to herself): I'm no prize then?

Posted by: anon | Jun 1, 2010 3:41:27 PM

17. Anon -- well, at least Al Gore can spell the word "medal" correctly :) Perhaps you and that vegetable should head back to the 1st grade....

Posted by: mishka | Jun 1, 2010 4:48:59 PM

18. I stand corrected - it as Edwards with the mistress and the secret baby, not Al.

That actually makes me feel a little better, not that it matters to anyone but me. It does make one think though... even a long term partnership like theirs can wither and die if you stop feeding it.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 1, 2010 5:41:39 PM

19. Sorry for the "hateful", Milkman. But, you might be surprised at the amount of unmitigated hate directed at Gore out there and sometimes I just can not stand for it.

Posted by: Rodney | Jun 1, 2010 6:23:56 PM

20. someone who isn't a famous, attractive extremely wealthy celebrity with millions of adoring fans need to stand up for al gore!

Posted by: TANK | Jun 1, 2010 6:32:51 PM

21. Gee, whoda thunk they'd get a divorce before the Clintons?

Posted by: Jacknasty | Jun 1, 2010 8:04:04 PM