Art and Design | Catholic Church | Dublin | Gay Marriage | Kevin Sharkey | News | Pope Benedict | Vatican

BigGayDeal.com

Painting of Pope Officiating Gay Marriage to Go on Display

Sharkey

'You May Now Kiss the Groom', a painting by Irish artist Kevin Sharkey which depicts Pope Benedict officiating the marriage of two gay men, is set to go on display in Dublin next month, Click Liverpool reports:

"Critically acclaimed Irish artist Kevin Sharkey produced the startling image after the Pontiff labelled gay marriage one of the most "insidious and dangerous" threats to the world today. Donegal-born Sharkey, 47, says he hoped the work would put the Pope's claim in context, and show the couple in an innocent and inoffensive light."

Said Sharkey to the paper: "I got the idea for this piece when I read a newspaper headline, where the Pope had labelled gay marriage the biggest threat to our society.  I am familiar with the traditional stance which the Catholic Church is expected to take, but I just felt condemning thousands of innocent people with such strong remarks is both unchristian and insulting.  When I think all the evil in the World, from terrorism, to disease, to famine, I find it horrifying that a man with The Pope's incredible power and influence can only focus on something as minor as gay marriage.  I think some of the recent revelations of disgraceful behaviour by Priests within the Catholic Church is much more evil and disturbing than two people who wish to formally express their love."

Comments

1. I luv it! Now, let's all brace ourselves for the religious fanatics of the world to unleash a shit storm over this painting. I promise you, it's coming!!!!

The funny thing is that, religious wingnuts can get so irate over the portrayal of two men being united in matrimony, but they all stay fucking quiet when it comes to all those criminal pedophile priests raping innocent children ALL OVER THE WORLD, and ALL THROUGHOUT FUCKING HISTORY!!! (Yes, Virginia, the latest news of child molestation in that horrid church ain't nothing new; it's been happening since the beginning of time).

Posted by: StatUnitense | Jun 17, 2010 8:16:02 PM

2. WELL put and BEAUTIFUL PAINTING!
    I hope this painting gets shown in the US...

Posted by: Ben | Jun 17, 2010 8:32:51 PM

3. That'll show those child molesting or pedophile-enabling, money-hording, women-hating Church cardinals and that parasite, Nazi, child molester-protecting pope. These guys are absolutely, factually disgusting.

Posted by: veg | Jun 17, 2010 9:10:35 PM

4. Lol. That's funny - and kind of pretty. Now let's do one with Mohammed.

Posted by: Max | Jun 17, 2010 9:31:43 PM

5. I'd rather see a painting of the Pope getting plowed in the ass.

But I'm an extremist ;)

Posted by: Gridlock | Jun 17, 2010 9:57:17 PM

6. Everyone should change their facebook image to this.® ;)

Posted by: tc in nyc | Jun 17, 2010 9:58:01 PM

7. I honestly couldn't care any less about the Pope or the Catholic Church, or most churches for that matter.

What's the point of responding to or publicizing them, or even trying to piss them off? They'll just turn it around and use it to raise funds from the faithful and enfeebled.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 17, 2010 9:59:06 PM

8. Looks like a cheesy photoshop chop job.

Posted by: joe | Jun 17, 2010 10:15:17 PM

9. Is it just me or does the pope look like the dark sith lord Palpatine from Star Wars??

Posted by: GaryGhost | Jun 17, 2010 11:14:26 PM

10. Now all they need is an image of a Muslim cleric officiating a gay marriage ceremony...which they would never do cause the artist knows he would be killed.

So keep going after the Catholics...cause hey - it's easier. Even if it is played out.

Posted by: Tell it like it is | Jun 17, 2010 11:26:59 PM

11. From an art perspective, this is absolutely terrible--not something I want associated with me as a gay man of good taste. The banal shock value is lost in the first three seconds and the mediocre artwork, which looks like poor photoshopping, doesn't help keep me interested. Make a point for gay marriage and against the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church, please do. But do it so that the label "Critically acclaimed Irish artist" will actually mean something and further your point.

Posted by: Woody | Jun 18, 2010 12:12:36 AM

12. Yes, pussies need to man up and show muhammad officiating a gay wedding, or being a groom in one. Break the chains of radical lefitst politics and the threat of islamic religious fanatics...it'll be liberating. But it's good that this evil institution and evil man is mocked for his evil behavior.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 18, 2010 12:26:54 AM

13. Yeah, I'm a Catholic and I wouldn't want the Pope anywhere near my wedding, good idea though

Posted by: Pekemo | Jun 18, 2010 12:35:48 AM

14. Painting? That looks like lousy Photoshop.

As to the content, what could possibly be creepier than the pope officiating any marriage? That man is evil.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 18, 2010 12:39:12 AM

15. It does look like a bad photoshop, but I agree with the sentiments of the painter. I also like than an Irish artist doing anything pro-gay drives the Protestant gays (like you, Towle) up the wall. As far as artists portraying Muslim clerics in such a situation.....ain't gonna happen. They remember Van Gogh and Rushdie.

Posted by: JT | Jun 18, 2010 3:26:57 AM

16. They should not have any objection in a gay marriage as long as both are willing for it.

Posted by: Acai Max Cleanse | Jun 18, 2010 5:28:51 AM

17. The pope may have to officiate gay marriages with all of the sex abuse scandals lately.

Posted by: Jeff Dunivant | Jun 18, 2010 5:59:15 AM

18. I took your word for it and assumed that this must be some amazing painter who can create minutely detailed photorealistic paintings that mimic bad Photoshop, which is actually a pretty interesting idea. What I found when I Googled the artist is someone who's adept at creating shallow but stylish expressionistic works, but the Pope image has absolutely no details which state medium or dimension. So my conclusion is: bad Photoshop. Why this should be such a sensation when blog artists are doing great stuff every day is beyond me. His other paintings that are being raved about as pure genius? Meh!

Posted by: stranded | Jun 18, 2010 6:30:01 AM

19. The only thing Pope Palpatine is good for is officiating which child molester to move to which new congregation. Don't let him anywhere near my boyfriend or my marriage...even in a painting.

Posted by: Tonic | Jun 18, 2010 9:29:03 AM

20. I wonder if the pooope will marry me in his Private Chamber? Are any of the Swish Guards available for a Trial Run?

Posted by: David Jarrett | Jun 18, 2010 9:48:04 AM

21. Love it, tho' I still prefer Francis Bacon's 'Screaming Pope'...

Posted by: Sean R | Jun 18, 2010 10:16:01 AM

22. Nice painting- but that evil looking pope kind of ruins it-where it photoshop when you need it

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 18, 2010 5:39:11 PM

23. this is epic.

Posted by: Brett | Jun 21, 2010 10:41:08 PM

24. I wish it was JPII and not Benedict JPII is someone I would want to officiate my wedding Benedict not so much.

Posted by: VBugz38 | May 19, 2011 11:15:23 AM