Catholic Church | News | Pope Benedict | Vatican

Pope Begs for Forgiveness from God for Clergy Sex Abuse

At Mass today, Pope Benedict begged for forgiveness for the Catholic Church's sexual abuse scandal, AFP reports:

Pope"Pope Benedict XVI on Friday begged forgiveness for the 'abuse of the little ones' by paedophile priests and pledged to 'do everything possible' to stop the scourge. 'And so it happened that, in this very year of joy for the sacrament of the priesthood, the sins of priests came to light, particularly the abuse of the little ones,' Benedict said at a mass in St Peter's Square marking the end of the Roman Catholic Church's Year for Priests. 'We... insistently beg forgiveness from God and from the persons involved, while promising to do everything possible to ensure that such abuse will never occur again,' he said before some 15,000 white-clad priests in the sun-drenched square...With paedophilia, 'the priesthood, whose task is to manifest God?s concern for our good, turns into its very opposite,' lamented the 83-year-old pope, wearing white and gold vestments...'In admitting men to priestly ministry and in their formation we will do everything we can to weigh the authenticity of their vocation and make every effort to accompany priests along their journey,' Benedict vowed."

Comments

1. Mea culpa my ass.....

Posted by: Chris | Jun 11, 2010 7:47:47 AM

2. How about asking forgiveness from the of victims? Oh, that's right - they don't matter.

Posted by: taodon | Jun 11, 2010 7:54:57 AM

3. @TAODON - he did.

Part of the quote: "'We... insistently beg forgiveness from God and from the persons involved"

Not that *I* care what he said, mind you. As far as I'm concerned the entire catholic church could be destroyed and the world would be a much better place.

Posted by: sparks | Jun 11, 2010 8:03:34 AM

4. nice--he waited only HOW many years? And all the efforts the Church has gone through to cover up this scandal? How about begging for forgiveness for that?

Posted by: dizzy spins | Jun 11, 2010 8:06:04 AM

5. Perhaps as a demonstration of contrition he should stop avoiding compensating those whose lives were so damaged by the rape and abuse.
    Much better than empty words.

Posted by: Urmensch | Jun 11, 2010 8:24:35 AM

6. Once again calling on that Great Heavenly Substitute for Personal Responsibility* in the sky...

*To give credit where credit is due, I found this term in a comment on Joe.My.God. Brilliant.

Posted by: ichabod | Jun 11, 2010 8:33:58 AM

7. He can beg all he wants, he's still going to rot in hell.

Posted by: gaylib | Jun 11, 2010 8:37:56 AM

8. Pure theater. Closet-case drag-queen former Hitler Youth refuses to address the real issue, which were the cover-ups of the abusers on his watch, cover-ups perpetuated with his knowledge and consent.

Posted by: Rick S. | Jun 11, 2010 8:45:45 AM

9. I'm starting to believe that "God" no longer believes in Catholics. Time to move on, and start again.

Posted by: Lez | Jun 11, 2010 8:49:46 AM

10. "lamented the 83-year-old pope, wearing white and gold vestments" says it all.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 11, 2010 8:52:32 AM

11. Live by the golden rule. Practise personal meditation.
    Free the world of organized religion.....nothing but trouble, imho.

Posted by: excy | Jun 11, 2010 9:08:32 AM

12. "Once again calling on that Great Heavenly Substitute for Personal Responsibility* in the sky..." -LOVE THIS!

Okay precious, say ten Hail Mary's and five Our Fathers and all will be forgiven. See how easy that is.

Posted by: Keith | Jun 11, 2010 9:10:31 AM

13. So essentially what he is saying is; he discovered the pedophiles goes right up to his cadre of padres, and before the firestorm ensues, let's beg forgiveness, sweep it under the rug and move on.

Oh, and in Africa and the Caribbean, promote gays as evil and bad under the banner of the Catholic church, and beneath human rights.

As I recall my history, Hitler had a similar approach; eliminate the gays except for those in my own administration.

I agree with EXCY; practice personal meditation and free the world of organized religion.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 11, 2010 9:25:55 AM

14. The Roman Catholics by electing this awful man -- as if Donald Rumsfeld had been elected president -- have put the Catholic Church in its current reprehensible position.

The writing is on the wall at least in the industrialized world. The only attendees at the RC Church on my street are 65 and older and a few obviously troubled middle-aged women. I also recently learned that this church here in my neighborhood housed a pedophile priest, known to his superiors, for some ten years. Oh how wise to put him at a church with no school. (sarcasm) He is now standing criminal trial some twenty years after the events in question.

Posted by: Interested Bystander | Jun 11, 2010 10:38:21 AM

15. If Benedict and his fellow travelers want to put an end to this epidemic of child rape, it really couldn't be simpler: When cases come to light, immediately pick up the telephone and notify the authorities. But they continue to dig in their heels and insist that the proper thing to do is to cover things up, er, I mean, "deal with them internally." But hey, Holy Mother Church is exempt from the laws that govern the rest of humanity, right?

Posted by: jomicur | Jun 11, 2010 10:54:39 AM

16. Shorter Pope:

"No, really honey, I'm sorry I hit you, and I promise I'll never, ever do it again. And I mean it this time. Really; this time I mean it for sure."

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jun 11, 2010 11:16:01 AM

17. The RC Church in my neighborhood -- see my comment above-- is having a 200 "family" rummage sale today, and it is a lot of RUMMAGE from old people. You see, they spent so much money on Proposition 8 that they need to do what ever they can to fill their accounts for the next round.

Yuck!

Posted by: Interested Bystander | Jun 11, 2010 11:46:34 AM

18. Beg for their forgiveness when they're behind bars.

Posted by: Vince | Jun 11, 2010 12:19:30 PM

19. Wow, really? Yes, the situation is effed up and I condemn the Church leadership for how they mishandled pedophilic priests--insert whatever vitriolic terminology here that will make you happy--but to call all people who attend the Catholic church troubled is just ignorant. Get your head out of your self-righteous a**. I think it's sad that an organization and its members that you deplore because of what you think they hate is met by total blind hatred by you. Hate in return for hate doesn't help anything, no matter how you spin it. You aren't gaining any allies acting like that. Try working on your own spiritual condition for once.

Posted by: sickofit | Jun 11, 2010 12:20:38 PM

20. For much of my adult life I've avoided mass year-round except on Christmas when visiting my parents, who raised me in Catholicism. But now I'm 100% done. On top of being Pedophiles, Inc., the decision of congregations to fund of anti-marriage equality initiatives is the last straw. I can't step foot inside a church without feeling disgusted and unwelcome.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 11, 2010 2:10:54 PM

21. @sickofit
    they do hate. archbishops and cardinals have blemed gays for the pedohile problems of the church and the pope has called gays the biggest threat to mankind. if that is not hate speech what is. this from a man who spent his early years serving adolf hitler. read some of the history reports hitler youth were among the brain washed supporters of hitler so the pope knows all about hate. doesn't he?

Posted by: walter | Jun 11, 2010 2:24:30 PM

22. Dear Benny: God may forgive you but I NEVER will. And that will be MY cross to bear. You're still a criminal, Miss Pope-thing.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 11, 2010 2:53:13 PM

23. If you're still a practicing Roman Catholic in 2010, you either are very old, troubled, or you think like Antonin Scalia.

'nuf said.

Posted by: Interested Bystander | Jun 11, 2010 3:44:10 PM

24. How does Pope Benedict tie his gold-laced shoes?

In little nazis

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | Jun 11, 2010 7:44:03 PM

25. Catholic schools are rape camps, period.

Posted by: mike | Jun 12, 2010 8:38:23 AM