AIDS/HIV | California | Katy Perry | Lip Dub | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: AIDS LifeCycle Riders Do Katy Perry's 'California Gurls'

Gurls1

The 7-day, 600-mile California AIDS LifeCycle ride ended on June 11, and, if the ride itself is not exhausting enough, Derrick Shore shot and edited this "California Gurls" video with help from Jeremy Blacklow, and riders and volunteers along the way. Don't ever let anyone tell you that gays can't multitask.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

And congrats to all the riders. For info on AIDS LifeCycle, click HERE.

Gurls2

Comments

1. noooooooooooooooooooooooo

well at least they're not twinks

Posted by: neverstops | Jun 18, 2010 1:33:06 PM

2. The AIDS LifeCycle raises over $10 million each year, so they get a pass for contributing to this horrible meme. Plus, the cycling videography is pretty good.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 18, 2010 1:59:52 PM

3. The hotty kissing the hotty w/ the hard hat is a friend of mine. He was our real estate agent when we sold our condo and bought our house.

Wonderful guy!

Posted by: rey-rey | Jun 18, 2010 2:38:30 PM

4. The video needs A LOT MORE TWINKS.

Posted by: Ronald McDonald | Jun 18, 2010 2:38:56 PM

5. UGH! Another horrible remake.

Posted by: Jimmy | Jun 18, 2010 2:51:46 PM

6. Phuque off Jimmy and I won't care. When you've raised $10 million dollars for people living with HIV and AIDS and volunteered a week of your year to ride 570 miles to raise more AIDS awareness, you can then stick your jaded ass in with the voices of criticism. Until then, can it. This film is awesome on every level, and if it makes you feel better about yourself to tear down what they are doing, time to re-evaluate what value-add you've provided in this life. My money is on none.

Posted by: jrp | Jun 18, 2010 3:53:51 PM

7. JRP I agree with you (except the very beginning). I liked it a lot. People care and ride a week. It is an important video and I am happy to see it. Thanks for showing it.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 18, 2010 4:49:15 PM

8. The video is great! I'm glad to see the volunteers having fun while contributing to a worthy cause.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 18, 2010 4:55:16 PM

9. JRP - Cheers, sweetie!

Posted by: rey-rey | Jun 18, 2010 6:22:04 PM

10. I was on the ride. These guys were great. Love the video.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 18, 2010 6:47:25 PM

11. I TOTALLY, TOTALLY, LOOOOVE THE GAYZ!!!

Are we just not BEYOND fantastic?!

Thanks for a fun video w/ some sense of humor & thanks to all those folks that participated in the ride.

Luv ya tons! xo.

Posted by: stephen | Jun 18, 2010 7:08:52 PM

12. I used to do the Boston-to-NY AIDS ride until I learned that the organizers kept more than half of the total raised (8 mil in one year alone) for 'administrative costs'. What percentage do the LifeCycle organizers keep?

Posted by: bading | Jun 18, 2010 7:09:59 PM

13. Sorry Bading, you have to spend money to make money. Nobody donates enough food, showers, tents, year-long support, trucks, gasoline, and information to run an event that size for free. Do you think it just magically happens? The law of economics dictates that the more people that participate and the more they raise, the lower the overall ratio of expense will be. It's a shame you'd rather sit on the sidelines looking for the 100% return out there, because you won't find it. These events are pulling millions of dollars in each year to fight AIDS - or they wouldn't do them. There is nothing as big, nor raising as much money even after the cost of overhead is pulled out. Nobody is keeping anything. Get back on your bike and pitch in. Doing something is better than doing nothing and then bitching about what others are doing. If you've got a free way of raising that much money, what are you waiting for? Start your own charity!

Posted by: jrp | Jun 18, 2010 7:45:29 PM

14. @ JRP

What makes you think I stopped doing something after I ceased doing the AIDS Rides? Consider this: Pallotta TeamWorks' AIDS Rides and Cancer Walks raised 305+ mil in 9 years (YAY!) of which they kept 23+ mil as production fees (BOO!)! The company immediately folded when their one European ride turned-out to be a financial quagmire. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED those rides. They're the single most arduous physical endurance test I have ever placed myself in. But it's also where I met lifelong friends. I just think that enriching one person (Dan Pallotta) even at the chance of raising huge amounts for AIDS charities is not what I signed-up for!

Posted by: bading | Jun 18, 2010 8:20:15 PM

15. @ JRP

BTW, the 23+ mil that Pallotta kept is on top of the 'administrative costs' which in 9 years amounted to 252+ mil. You do the math!

Posted by: bading | Jun 18, 2010 8:29:40 PM

16. 9 years ago the LA Gay & Lesbian Center and the San Francisco AIDS Foundation gave Pallotta the boot, exactly because of those troubling overhead numbers. Now AIDS Lifecycle is run in-house by the two agencies making for a much more cost-effective fundraising effort. It's true that in order to raise money you have to spend money, but AIDS Lifecycle does it at a bare minimum. I am really proud of all the work that they do, and of all the efforts of my fellow riders and the roadies. I would encourage everyone to consider riding this year for ALC's 10-year anniversary.

And I LOVE this video.

Posted by: TB Durango | Jun 19, 2010 2:56:56 PM

17. @ TB Durango

Thank you for clearing that up. Palotta is the most egregious of the AIDS profiteers and he deserves ignominy. More power to ALC, LAGLC and SFAF!

Posted by: bading | Jun 19, 2010 3:32:53 PM

18. I'm 63 and I rode ALC 8 and 9 and its incredible. It is a six month commitment to training, fund raising and then you take about 10 days to go there, ride and then recover.... Also you have the hundreds of other Roadies, Medical volunteers and so much more that goes to make the ride possible. So support your local ALC rider next year- it is a great way to give back.

Posted by: Vic | Jul 9, 2010 8:54:13 AM