News | Scott Lively | Uganda

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: 'Missionaries of Hate', a New Documentary Exploring American Evangelical Anti-Gay Efforts in Uganda

Lively

Late last week, Current TV premiered an important new documentary called Missionaries of Hate which explores efforts of American evangelicals to foment hatred and violence against gays in Uganda in the name of religion.

Watch all six segments, plus interviews with the director Mariana van Zeller, and American Evangelical Scott Lively (pictured above), and Ugandan MP David Bahati, author of the "kill the gays" bill.

Check them out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Director Mariana van Zeller reflects:

Interview with American Evangelical crusader Scott Lively:

Interview with "kill the gays" bill author MP David Bahati:

Comments

1. I was waiting for this documentary but was actually disappointed.

The documentary is superficial and amateur. Absolutely no discussion of root causes or basic fundamental questions about WHY Ugandans have been led to feel this way, in a historical, religious cultural context. It's okay, but could have been done a lot better. It's all very surface and doesn't answer many questions

Posted by: Mike C. | Jun 1, 2010 11:46:31 AM

2. That's Current TV for you. They do try but it's all very trendy and didn't Spike Jonze direct this? He's hardly very bright.

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 1, 2010 12:14:57 PM

3. This is a direct consequence of “faith based initiatives” being peddled buy the corrupt Washington DC religious Taliban.

It is startling that the people of Uganda would adopt the religion (Christian) of the very people that oppressed and exploited them. Especially when all the arguments for this bill are based in superstition and manufactured hatred. The leaders are very well versed in the US evangelical talking points. The religious and political people at the heart of this see it as a way to get power to surely enrich them selves and oppress others. Laptops and I-pods=evil.

The US and the EU should cut off all aid to this country. Uganda newspapers look remarkably like the NY Post.

Posted by: GGREEN | Jun 1, 2010 12:34:06 PM

4. So many things are running through my head after watching this video, so I'll just jump in with the highlights.

1. Those of us who live in countries where we are not criminalized for our sexual orientation are SO VERY LUCKY. Speaking as an American, we certainly have a ways to go. But when I look at the world beyond my borders I realize to be in a country where I will not be thrown in jail or put to death by the government makes me very lucky indeed.

2. Religious fanatics make it very hard to see beyond the fanaticism to the core of the religion. I'm not mad at Christianity. I'm not mad at Christians. I'm mad at religious fanatics who will stop at nothing to push their religious "agenda" onto the masses. But the more religious fanatics I see out there (of every stripe, not just the Christian ones) the more I feel like I made the right choice in stepping outside the church and finding my own way spiritually.

3. To that end, however, I am livid at American evangelical fantatics who infiltrate other countries and then point their fingers at the "enemy" and say it's THEY that are trying to force their "agendas" down the native people's throats. I will never believe in a million years Uganda reached out to American evengelicals to rid their country of the gays. Especially when Mr. Bahati stated emphatically that Ugandans can think for themselves. Therefore, it stands to reason American evengelical fanatics saw a place that was RIPE for conversion into fanaticism and moved in. Once there, they point the finger at the gays and cause a witch hunt mentality amongst those that are most spiritually vulnerable.

4. Uganda is one of the poorest countries in Africa. And this "purge" of "undesireables" seems like a replay of the events that led up to WWII in Germany. The reason Hitler rose to power is because at the time, Germany was broke. Suddenly, this Hitler person screams from the top of his lungs, "It's because of the Jews!" and all of Germany agreed. And millions of people died in concentration camps because of it. I know I'm oversimplifying the events that led up to WWII, but at its core, the Germans needed a scapegoat and Jews (as well as gays, gypsies, and a plethora of other "undesireables") were ripe for the picking. The same thing is happening in Uganda. It's so similar that if it were happening in Germany I'd look for a Hitler mustache somewhere. I'm just afraid that once the gays have been "purged" from Uganda they'll find another "undesireable group" and they'll be under the gun. The sad thing is, things will never change until people get tired of the witch hunt (ala Salem Witch Trials) or Uganda pulls itself up from the economic toilet it's in right now.

5. Uganda should be Exhibit A in every fight the United States has until the end of time why there should ALWAYS be a seperation between church and state. When religion starts being the determining factor in public policy, we get nations like Uganda. Exhibit A FOREVER.

Posted by: Stephen | Jun 1, 2010 12:37:42 PM

5. I found it interesting that the Pastor dressed in new clothes and he drove around in what appeared to be a brand new four-wheel drive vehicle while there was poverty all around.

Does anyone doubt this guys motivation is money and perhaps power?

Posted by: Chr1s | Jun 1, 2010 1:07:00 PM

6. It will never end- the Evangelicals will never stop. They draw their power from fear and divisiveness; potent and powerful stuff. While of a different religion, in Muslim countries we call these kind of vocal and militant fanatics the Taliban. In the U.S.A. we call them leaders. The visceral hatred displayed in Uganda is frightening; even more so is the realization that the same sentiments exist here in our country. I wonder how much money all of the visiting Christians took out of Uganda with them? I found the pastor's focus on gay and Swedish wealth to be an interesting side commentary. I'm sure it deflects scrutiny away from the wealth of Evangelical organizations and from himself. I am not a religious type at all, but I admit, I am praying to whoever may or may not be listening to protect all the people of Uganda from Pastor Ssempa's ambition and megalomania.

Posted by: Robb | Jun 1, 2010 1:41:55 PM

7. I watched it on the current tv channel and was filled with a sense of foreboding. I saw the seeds of hate being sowed and a mob mentality beginning to creep into the mindset of the populace that wasn't there before the American (Christian Radical) Taliban stuck their noses into Uganda's business. My heart goes out to my gay and lesbian brothers and sisters in Uganda. We have to be always vigilant as the agents of hate never give up.

Posted by: Another Mike | Jun 1, 2010 1:53:50 PM

8. @Stephen. Relatively speaking, of course, Uganda is not one of the poorest countries in Africa, it's one of the better ones actually. It's nothing compared to the likes of Malawi, Sierra Leone, Niger, etc. All these points beg the questions which the documentary failed to discuss

Posted by: Mike C. | Jun 1, 2010 1:57:02 PM

9. There are various crimes against individual Americans attempting to conduct foreign policy on behalf of the US. They are rarely enforced, but essentially you cannot advise a foreign govt to go against US administration policies. This might make for a good prosecution.

Posted by: anon | Jun 1, 2010 2:20:59 PM

10. First let me say how happy I am to have discovered Current TV and its show Vanguard. With that said, I have to agree with Mike C.

Mike C. Wrote:

"Absolutely no discussion of root causes or basic fundamental questions about WHY Ugandans have been led to feel this way, in a historical, religious cultural context. It's okay, but could have been done a lot better. It's all very surface and doesn't answer many questions."

I was left with more questions about the bill and the attitudes of the people than when the show started. Surely one or more workshops on the "evils of homosexuality" cannot be the cause of such widespread hate.

One hour was not enough time to tell this sad, sad story.

Posted by: Larry | Jun 1, 2010 2:40:49 PM

11. Thanks for posting this... I've put it on my FB page, and having been following the issue from the start think this is very important info. Good job!

Posted by: Will | Jun 1, 2010 11:54:19 PM