Dan Choi | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Jim Pietrangelo | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

Charges Dropped Against Lt. Dan Choi and Capt. Jim Pietrangelo Over White House 'DADT' Arrests

Choicase

Choi and Pietrangelo with attorneys Ann Wilcox and Mark Goldstone outside the coutrroom today, tweeted by Scott Wooledge.

Charges against Lt. Dan Choi and Capt. Jim Pietrangelo were dropped today before a trial could begin over their arrest in a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" protest in front of the White House.

The AP reports:

"Lt. Dan Choi and James Pietrangelo, a gay army captain honorably discharged for disclosing his sexual orientation, were in court Wednesday on charges of failure to obey police orders during the March and April protests. All charges were dropped against them. Choi and his attorney had subpoenaed President Barack Obama to appear, but an attorney for the prosecution said the subpoena wasn't served. Prosecutor Christine Chang declined to comment on why the government dropped the case. Choi said he believes Obama administration officials didn't want to draw attention to the policy.

Said Paul Yandura to Americablog: "It's clear that they were embarrassed that we were going to expose the fiction that repeal is finished or imminent. They were embarrassed that we subpoenaed the President and were going to use his words. It's clear that civil disobedience was the winner today."

Choi later tweeted:

Choi

Comments

1. Thank you Lt. Choi and Jim Pietrangelo!

I appreciate your efforts in the fight for equality for all GLBT Americans.

I am behind you 100%!

Posted by: FunMe | Jul 14, 2010 12:04:02 PM

2. While I have a lot of respect for Lt. Choi's service as well as efforts for equality... I frequently come away with the impression that his actions are fairly quixotic.

I have full confidence that DADT repeal will head on the exact same trajectory it was headed both before Lt. Choi handcuffed himself to that fence and before the charges were dropped. I guess what that trajectory is remains to be seen, but my point stands.

Get 10,000 people/servicemembers to join you, get a senator or a few congresspeople... even then, sadly, he'd be tilting at windmills.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 14, 2010 12:33:06 PM

3. To follow up... I bet if I got a littering ticket and hired a top notch lawyer who threatened to subpoena the governor of my state, I bet they'd throw the case out too.

And I'd hardly call it a victory for truth or try to call out the governor for being embarrassed.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 14, 2010 12:43:38 PM

4. Victory? Good for you. How's that hunger strike going Dan? I know, I know... You were given assurances and things are moving forward and you had a dinner date. Why are we supposed to be begging to hang out with trained killers again? Just wondering...

Posted by: Dave | Jul 14, 2010 1:33:17 PM

5. Dan Choi is putting his future on the line for what he believes as opposed the keyboard warriors who are always so ready to be cynical and back biting. If the African American community had been so willing to stab there own heroes in the back they would still be at the back of the bus.

Posted by: pete | Jul 14, 2010 2:54:49 PM

6. I love that airforce.com was the ad I got with this story.

Posted by: White label | Jul 14, 2010 6:50:28 PM

7. Joe Solmonese was very disappointed by this verdict!

Posted by: TANK | Jul 14, 2010 7:02:19 PM

8. Dan Choi is a failed Army officer who sacrificed nothing in his quest to find a new career making $10,000 to $15,000 per speech.

Posted by: Career | Jul 15, 2010 12:39:54 AM

9. in response to posting by "Career"...pathetic and lame! I'm rubber and you are glue, what ever you say bounces off me and sticks to you. There, I feel better. Loser!

Posted by: David | Jul 16, 2010 1:42:23 AM