Colin Firth | Film and TV | Tom Ford

Isn't It Romantic?: A Single Man On Blu-Ray & DVD Today

SafariScreenSnapz001

After the jump, an exclusive clip from A Single Man (on Blu-ray and DVD today) along with commentary in which the film's director Tom Ford and its Oscar-nominated star Colin Firth highlight the film's romanticism and its characters' desire to connect. Highly recommended film, in case you haven't gotten around to or haven't been able to see it yet.

Comments

1. That movie was very beautiful looking. And it seemed very, very long.

Posted by: Will | Jul 6, 2010 4:25:43 PM

2. The film is crap, badly written, badly made, self-pitying whining grandiose garbage. Surely there are better uses for all those DVDs than having that stupid movie pressed onto them. Isn't there a coaster shortage somewhere?

Posted by: Roscoe | Jul 6, 2010 4:32:58 PM

3. I went into the movie figuring it would be pretty but vapid - and wasn't disappointed!

Posted by: Tonic | Jul 6, 2010 4:44:33 PM

4. Leave it to Roscoe to feel the need to piss on the parade of everyone who loved this film.
    The only reason Roscoe clicked on this story was to dump on it.
    I'm guessing Roscoe didn't see it or it wasn't what he wanted to see and therefore he needs to try to ruin it for others.

Roscoe may have well said Christopher Isherwood is a hack writer seeing how the film is so close to the book. One of the best adaptations from book to screen I've ever seen.

Poor Roscoe. All alone. (No I'm not.) No friends. (All my friend hated it to... and will soon post their disdain.) Soon to post a nasty comment to me... probably to tell me that I'm shit too. That's ok Roscoe. Somewhere there's a closeted Republican that will meet you somewhere secret.

(Sorry... but his comment was so hateful and full of self loathing. I couldn't help myself.)

Posted by: JimmyD | Jul 6, 2010 4:50:41 PM

5. Sorry, JimmyD, but I'd never say that Isherwood is a hack writer, having read the splendid novel that this atrocious film is based on.

I'd never say you're shit, dear JimmyD. But you do seem to get all in a dither when someone disagrees with your high estimation of shitty flicks. And there's no self-loathing in my post, dear boy.

Enjoy Mr. Ford's abortion, JimmyD.

Posted by: Roscoe | Jul 6, 2010 5:04:07 PM

6. This movie was the suck.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 6, 2010 5:10:15 PM

7. Tank, you self-loathing gay you. Don't incur the wrath of JimmyD by hating on A SINGLE MAN, clearly the greatest work of the new millennium, a masterwork fit to outlast Shakespeare Cervantes and the Bible itself.

Posted by: Roscoe | Jul 6, 2010 5:21:26 PM

8. I might check this out if I'm in the mood to get depressed...

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 6, 2010 5:28:57 PM

9. I enjoyed the movie. For all it's overused film school tricks, I thought the core message, to me, came intact: appreciate today. Colin Firth's protrayal of Falconer was amazing and well deserved of critical praise. The score is hauntingly beautiful, and worth a listen.

Posted by: Joel | Jul 6, 2010 6:03:29 PM

10. I don't care if the movie sucks. ;-) All I want to know is can I sleep with the director to get an audition?

Posted by: jaymax | Jul 6, 2010 6:32:14 PM

11. I don't know, I honestly did not enjoy the movie. It has 'pretentious' written all over it, 1 hour too long, with very little content to it.

Posted by: Ahmad | Jul 6, 2010 9:09:39 PM

12. Wow, I'm kind of shocked by all the negative comments here. I thought this was a beautiful film. Different in many ways than Isherwood's masterful novel (I think it's one of the best works of gay fiction written in the 20th century), but the film ultimately captures a similar effect. I don't think the "visual tricks" are merely Ford showing off his visual chops, which are quite apparent: they really work to service the themes of the film, which I found sensitive, poignant, and completely absorbing at all times. I think it's a complicated movie--not just about gay issues, but about the way in which we define ourselves by our relationships, and the way that desire can refresh that sense of self when it is about to expire.

That's just my opinion. The film meant a lot to me, and I can't wait for Ford's next.

Posted by: E. | Jul 6, 2010 9:16:46 PM

13. Nicely said, E. Check out my blog for my complaints about this film, which I detested with a passion: http://roscoewrites.blogspot.com/2010/02/single-man-fashion-mogul-tom-ford-in.html

Posted by: Roscoe | Jul 6, 2010 9:35:24 PM

14. SUCKED

it was so bad

Posted by: shane | Jul 6, 2010 11:54:31 PM

15. Genuinely surprised so many have vented so much vitriol against this film. It's got an 85 percent rating at RottenTomatoes (so critics liked it very much, for whatever that's worth). I found it beautiful to look at, but also deeply felt, beautifully acted. The fashiony look worked perfectly in that the character is spending this day noticing EVERYTHING. I guess I could see, but wouldn't agree with, someone thinking it's slow, and of course some people think movies all have to be escapist fluff or that means they're pretentious, but in spite of my misgivings about anything done by Tom Ford, I thought this was a brilliant debut.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jul 7, 2010 12:18:09 AM

16. i happened to watch Colin Firth in this movie in the same week i saw him play a grieving straight widower in "Genova," directed by michael winterbottom & also with Hope Davis & Catherine Keener. It was interesting to see Colin play gay & sad in the Ford period piece and then straight & sad in the modern-day Genova. Both movies are lovely to watch, have a non-standard narrative arc, and showcase Colin to be one hot, talented actor.

Posted by: Daniel | Jul 7, 2010 1:19:06 AM

17. This was one very long commercial for nothing. It was pretty...bad.

Posted by: name: | Jul 7, 2010 5:41:23 AM

18. yeah, didn't like. it had its moments, but it also had an angora sweater and an atrocious ending.

Posted by: barilla | Jul 7, 2010 9:03:03 AM

19. I too am surprised and not a little hurt/dismayed by the vitriol. Wonder if it's age? (I am 54, but loved the book 25 years ago.) I went with an open mind, having heard Ford interviewed on Fresh Air (is that pretentious too?) and read his interview here and in other magazines, suspicious of handsome fashionistas but aware of Don Bachardy's embrace of it. The book, and the movie, are both quite "still" and pensive/reflective/existential by today's hyper standards. I have come to refer to the movie as "Tom Ford's Single Man" since it differs substantively (suicide does not feature in book and death is speculative not certain). But even so, it is one of only a few books I have read multiple times AND movies I have seen multiple times and await my own copy arriving. There's always Iron Man for the others.

Posted by: Terry | Jul 7, 2010 9:35:23 AM

20. Wow love it or hate it I guess!? I'm with camp love though; especially the 2nd time I saw it. Felt like I just got so much more out of it. I suppose if your unfamiliar with what the character is going through and the time period in which its occurring it would come off rather lame. Ultimately the movie is about small moments, and how from the point of view of a man on the verge of suicide, those seemingly inconsequential little things take on a larger than life aspect. Its a small window into a larger sometime hidden world.

Posted by: Joseph | Jul 7, 2010 10:44:57 AM

21. @ barilla, I thought Nicholas Hoult was delicious in the angora. :-)

Posted by: Joel | Jul 7, 2010 11:38:04 AM

22. I love art...and I loved this movie, precisely because it aspired to be beautiful and lush and measured and detailed and strange.

Posted by: Bryan | Jul 7, 2010 12:02:11 PM

23. The sad thing is that so many gay people have no idea how monumental this film really is. It was and remains a wonderful and amazing film. Some day many of you will grow up and realize that being gay was once a death sentence - something you'll probably never have to face in your lifetime. Living your life as a gay person is a given today but to those who are still alive and lived through the 50's and 60's being beat up, forced out of their homes, lost their jobs, and were even murdered, "A Single Man" is an anthem.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jul 7, 2010 12:42:54 PM

24. I think it's a beautiful movie. But quite un-understandable if you've never wanted to commit suicide. If you haven't been there - really ready to do it, you probably won't get the movie.

If you have, however, I don't know how you cannot be blown away by it.

Posted by: Charles | Jul 7, 2010 2:24:05 PM

25. Charles: was that an unintended pun in your last sentence?
    I got this movie partly for the very reasons you mentioned, seeing it a week after attempting suicide. It helped.
    I also got it because of its pace, its tone and Colin Firth's superb performance.
    What I find sad about the negative comments is not that they exist, but that they so often are couched in terms reminiscent of tabloid headlines.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 7, 2010 6:46:46 PM