Crime | News | Ohio

Ohio Gay Marker Struck By Vandalism

111
Back in October, the city of Dayton, Ohio erected a marker honoring openly lesbian Natalie Barney, who published gay literary works at a time when very few would even consider it. As Andy noted last year, i is the state's first monument to indicate a person's sexual orientation.

Unfortunately, it took less than nine months for vandals to target the marker.

The Dayton Daily News reports:

The marker recognizing Natalie Barney — literary patron and lesbian author who lived most of her life in Paris — was knocked down in Cooper Park some time before Wednesday, July 7, said John Gantt, executive director of the Greater Dayton LGBT Center.

“A friend noticed it had been torn down and told me about it,” Gantt said. “I called police and they came and took a report.”

The marker was installed Oct. 25 in the park after the Ohio Historical Society and members of state and Dayton area gay rights organizations led efforts to recognize Barney for her place in history and pioneering openness about her sexuality.

Officials with the center said they expected the marker to be vandalized and had an insurance policy marker.

The sign was not significantly damaged, but a six-inch long crack in the sign and was ripped off the pole, Gantt said. He said his group has the sign and will put it back up.

“It’s a hate crime because why would someone tear it down and not take it,” Gantt said. “They just left it there and no other sign was damaged.”

According to WHIO in Ohio, repairs will reportedly cost $1000. Police are investigating the vandalism as a possible hate crime.

Comments

1. Not a hate crime. No proof.

Quit crying wolf people, things get vandalized for no reason every day. Vandals probably just wanted to break something and have no clue who this woman is.

Posted by: Greenthumb55 | Jul 9, 2010 6:06:58 PM

2. You're dumber than a second coat of paint, greenthumb55...lol

Posted by: TANK | Jul 9, 2010 8:31:19 PM

3. I live an hour away from Dayton and this is just so sad...

Posted by: BrandonD | Jul 9, 2010 8:46:54 PM

4. @Tank - why? Cause I don't use my sexuality as an excuse for everything I don't like or agree with?

Posted by: Greenthumb55 | Jul 9, 2010 8:50:39 PM

5. Is there anyone in the area willing to do a rubbing of this monument? FMI: www.thegayrub.com

Posted by: Steven Reigns | Jul 10, 2010 12:01:31 AM

6. Greenthumb55: You have more issues than Reader's Digest.

Posted by: libhomo | Jul 10, 2010 7:34:10 AM

7. I'm sure it was a hateful act of vandalism, motivated deep down by a fear that their way of life is being threatened.

Posted by: Joe | Jul 10, 2010 11:11:01 AM

8. @ Libhomo: Just because I'm not some militant politically-charged shit-disturbing homo doesn't mean I have issues :) It just means I have better things to do with my time than to use my sexuality as an excuse for everything that goes wrong :)

Posted by: Greenthumb55 | Jul 10, 2010 8:16:37 PM

9. Can some one please tell me the words to the sign? I am not in the area and am unable to read it for myself.

Posted by: Straight Grandmother | Jul 12, 2010 5:17:15 PM

10. Hey Straight Grandmother! It's Billy from prop8trialtracker.

I will go out there this weekend (since I live 20 mins away), and see the sign for myself... if it is back up. I will do a rubbing for www.thegayrub.com and will take a close-up picture for you and post the URL on the prop8trialtracker site.

Posted by: Billy | Jul 12, 2010 8:09:50 PM