Nevada | Republican Party | Sharron Angle | Teabagger

Senate Candidate Angle: No Abortion In Cases Of Incestuous Rape

MeetSharron

In a radio interview done within the past few weeks, Sharron Angle, the Republican senate candidate from Nevada, insisted that in a hypothetical case of a girl raped by her father, abortion would still be unacceptable:

"My own personal feelings, and that is always what I express, my personal feeling is that we need to err on the side of life. There is a plan and a purpose, a value to every life no matter what its location, age, gender or disability. So whenever we talk about government and government's role, government's role is to protect life and that's what our founding fathers said, that we have to protect life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

"Two wrongs don't make a right. And I have been in the situation of counseling young girls, not 13 but 15, who have had very at-risk, difficult pregnancies. And my counsel was to look for some alternatives, which they did. And they found that they had made what was really a lemon situation into lemonade."

Raped by your father = lemon. Raising your child/sibling by that father as a teenager when the father is hopefully in prison = lemonade.

Angle and other Republicans in tough races will be the beneficiaries of $200 million to $300 million in spending on their behalf by various conservative interest groups. Considering the vast majority of these candidates' views on gay issues as well, that's enough lemons to make lemonade for us all.

Comments

1. That fake "Christian" smile says it all even before anything idiotic even comes out of her ignorant mouth.
    The question most humans with a brain cell would ask is "what about the LIFE of the pregnant WOMAN?
    Any man who rapes a woman(or man) doesn't deserve to live on the same planet with his fellow human beings.

Posted by: SFshawn | Jul 8, 2010 2:08:04 PM

2. Her lack of understanding about the purpose of government couldn't be clearer. In her first sentence she makes it very clear she's expressing her personal moral view, but then in her third sentence she wants to use the government to enforce her personal moral view.

Posted by: chris | Jul 8, 2010 2:10:06 PM

3. Whats her view on the death penalty??

Posted by: wonderer | Jul 8, 2010 2:14:24 PM

4. "There is a plan and purpose..."

No, there isn't. And if some omniscient and omnipotent god DID plan for some poor woman to get raped by a relative and subsequently give birth to his child, god is pure evil. No way around it.

Posted by: Wes | Jul 8, 2010 2:17:54 PM

5. Sharron Angle is truly one of the dumbest people ever to run for public office. She's the result of a too crowded primary and the wingnut, tin foil hat wearing idiot ends up with the most votes because all the moderate, sane people split the rational vote and she takes all the fringe voters.

That said, I wonder if Miss Angle would take off her tin foil hat and answer this a couple simple questions: If she believe so strongly in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and marriage for gay men and women would make them happy and give them the same liberties as straight people, does she support it? Also, if she's such a proponent of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, then does she believe in the death penalty for murderers and child rapists? Aren't they people too? People with lives?

Bottom line, she's a bonefide idiot of enormous proportion. Her answer to most questions when asked is to stick to the talking point the Republican heirarchy gave her, which is to say, "Well, Harry Reid has done..." and then to talk about her opponent rather than what she believes. Even the Republicans are afraid of her becase they know she's a daffy idiot who talks like a woman who mixes wine and pain killers about four every afternoon. (She's actually said she believes beer should be outlawed...yep, she said it. I think that should be the Democrats poster -- her crazy ass face with a big dumb smile and a banner that reads: Elect Her and She'll Make Beer Illegal.)

I'm so tired of dumb people getting elected to positions of power in this country and this nutjob is a prime, very embarrassing example of that. I hope the people of Nevada realize that no matter how badly they hate Harry Reid, that this crazy lady is 1000 times worse on every level and will damage their state if she some how manages to get elected.

Posted by: Bart | Jul 8, 2010 2:20:29 PM

6. If you don't share the unproven beliefs of Christians, should you have to abide by them? How dare they insist we all abide by their superstitions? Do I have a constitutional right NOT to believe?

Posted by: John Emr | Jul 8, 2010 2:32:55 PM

7. Sorry, Sharron, but government's role is to keep cruel, unthinking, unfeeling, heartless, controlling, jesus-infected filth such as yourself out of my private life and my informed, private consensual choices.

Reading (and listening) to her comments only increases the white-hot animosity I have against evangelicals.

Knowing that the tens of millions of supporters of politicians like Angle will be out in full force this November, and the dangerous apathy I am seeing on "our side", I'd suggest that everyone get their passports in order. We may need them. FAST!

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 8, 2010 2:37:06 PM

8. I wish someone would ask Ms. Angle what the punishment should be for women who get an abortion. What do we do with this hypothetical rape victim? Jail? A fine? And if a woman has an abortion after her doctor tells her that taking a pregnancy to term is risking her life can she argue self-defense?

Posted by: matt | Jul 8, 2010 2:53:07 PM

9. She must be against the death penalty given her statement. But then she wouldn't be the first candidate to be duplicitous in his/her positions on issue, would she?

Posted by: Gary | Jul 8, 2010 3:09:27 PM

10. I am absolutely Pro-choice; however as far as an anti-choice position - at least it is consistent. I can understand and respect it. I've always thought the "except in cases of rape and incest" was a bizarre justification. If the whole purpose of being anti-abortion is to protect "unborn life" then you aren't doing it with that exception.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 8, 2010 3:42:50 PM

11. In the book of Geneses, after Lott left the cites of Sodom and Gomorra and after his wife was turned to a pillar of salt for disobeying their loving god, he started a new family with both of his daughters. Don’t quite know how the story of the towns men folk wanting to rape sexless angels that came upon Lotts home proves that being Gay is evil, but it sure shows that whomever wrote the story endorsed raping and impregnating your daughters. Christians are strange people….

Posted by: Dave | Jul 8, 2010 4:39:32 PM

12. I've never understood the anti-choice people who claim than an unborn 'baby' is innocent and deserves to live.. except in the case of rape or incest. What? The 'baby' has done nothing wrong yet, in certain cases, it's okay to kill it? I'm pro-choice but actually have a bit of respect for people who are against all abortion who're also personally involved with programs that help children AFTER they're born and are against Capital Punishment, as well. At least they're consistent and I've found most to be very kind. Most anti-choice people are bullies and don't give a shit about kids once they're born and are all too happy to fry an inmate. Ms Angle falls in the latter category.

Posted by: lookyloo | Jul 8, 2010 10:30:42 PM

13. Unthinkable. Behind her smiling face lies the defense of upheaval and horror. Does she have the capacity to comprehend the revulsion for a woman carrying the result of a brutal attack for nine months, let alone the lifelong pain of the child and/or mother knowing the circumstance of the impregnation??? You might as well congratulate the attacker, and proudly pen his name as the father- or will there be a line on NV birth certificates titled, "Rapist?"
    Indeed, it punishes the woman (and the resulting child) for the attacker's crime.

Posted by: James StClair | Jul 9, 2010 5:51:40 AM

14. How much could we pay her father to rape her?

Posted by: DeathToStupidity | Sep 18, 2010 1:49:28 AM

15. You know, you CAN be gay and be pro-life (anti-choice is an accurate way to describe the predicament of the child in the womb). You won't be kicked out of the club. Actually, at a gathering of you all, you probably would be-which shows how close-minded you "open-minded" people really are. I am a robot. I must accept all liberal orthodoxy unquestioningly even if it has nothing to do with homosexuality since in my simplistic view, liberals are on my side and conservatives aren't, hence all liberal views are good and all conservative views are bad.

Posted by: Paul | Sep 26, 2010 8:21:47 PM

16. I was conceived when 8 men raped my mother! She didn't commit murder because she was raped. The rapists weren't murdered either! She made the right choice and placed me for adoption. Why does everyone think the girl has to raise the child? I know many who did raise their child and are glad they did! Murder is NEVER a right decision. Would YOU like to be killed for the crime of your father??

Posted by: juda | Oct 26, 2010 5:31:28 PM