AIDS/HIV | Iowa | Jeremy Walters | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Iowa GOP Candidate Jeremy Walters Apologizes for AIDS Remarks

Jeremy Walters, the Iowa GOP candidate for Congress under fire for Facebook remarks saying that AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality, has released an apology to the Iowa Independent.

Walters  Says Walters:

I am not against people having a gay lifestyle, and the statements made on Facebook have been taken the wrong way. The statement regarding gay homosexuality was not meant to be offensive and I deeply appologize.

As far as the quote from Bible; I was replying to someone elses post. It should have been posted as a comment on their page, not my Facebook wall. I appologize for the mistake and if this statement offened anyone. Both postings have been removed and these comments do not pertain to my campaign or the Republican Party of Iowa. My passion is to listen and learn from the people so I can represent them at the statehouse. Everyone makes mistakes, please forgive me.

Comments

1. Absolute willful ignorance...sad and pathetic!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Aug 18, 2010 1:55:29 PM

2. Arch, well said. Thanks for saying that.

Posted by: Craig | Aug 18, 2010 5:41:43 PM

3. I sure hope the good people of Iowa spare this man the pain of reciting the oath of office and allegiance to the Iowa Constitution which guarantees the right of same-sex marriage.

For his sake, of course.

Posted by: BobN | Aug 18, 2010 5:44:18 PM

4. You can't say something that hateful and then say "But, I'm not against homosexuality." I guess I can take some solace in the fact that 20-30 years ago if he'd said he wouldn't have felt any shame and it probably wouldn't have hurt him too much. At least know he feels the need to lie and apologize.

And, because I take cheap shots - WTF is wrong with that tie. Horrifying.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 18, 2010 7:39:28 PM

5. Reminds me of the time my mother made me apologize for calling someone an asshole.

I said, "I'm sorry you're an asshole."

Posted by: Wrecks | Aug 18, 2010 9:07:43 PM

6. I am soooo gonna start calling all my gay friends "gay homosexuals" from now on.

Posted by: Scot Colford | Aug 19, 2010 7:56:26 AM

7. Oh good it's the 1980's all over again. Someone needs to point out to these Neanderthal's that, although a high percentage of HIV infections in the USA are in gay men, this is not the case world wide. But using this fool's logic then I guess that prostate cancer is God's punishment of men as well as breast cancer is His punishment of women - their God must be one mean and sadistic old fellow. The hatred, bigotry and stupidity of these bible beating fools in the name of their God never cease to amaze me.

Posted by: ChrisM | Aug 19, 2010 8:02:11 AM

8. If this man is so close to god then I want to shave some biblical advice for obese GOP congressional candidate Jeremy Walters. These are the words of god and I doubt that he'll be issuing any conditional apology soon.

Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Posted by: Dillon | Aug 19, 2010 8:09:12 AM

9. Frist of all I am not a congressional candidate. I was letting a Frind Know that in the Old Testament the old law was still around and something like Leviticus 20;13 you would be stone to death. But in the New Testament to the old law went away cause Jesus came to us and know we can be saved. We are saved by grace and Love. When I put the adids in the statement that offened alot people and I sorry for that. I understand that you can get adids though many other things aswell. This was not for the press or the news to know. But someone felt it was a chance to get me to lose my campagin. Again these comments do not pertain to my campaign.

Posted by: jeremy | Aug 19, 2010 8:36:42 AM

10. Frist of all I am not a congressional candidate. I was letting a Friend Know that in the Old Testament the old law was still around and something like Leviticus 20;13 you would be stone to death. But in the New Testament to the old law went away cause Jesus came to us and know we can be saved. We are saved by grace and Love. When I put the adids in the statement that offened alot people and I sorry for that. I understand that you can get adids though many other things aswell. This was not for the press or the news to know. But someone felt it was a chance to get me to lose my campagin. Again these comments do not pertain to my campaign.

Posted by: jeremy | Aug 19, 2010 8:37:57 AM

11. His being fat and ugly is God's punishment for him being lazy and for having developed poor grooming habits, both his choice; however, his balding and my homosexuality, simply our lots in life...

Posted by: Dave | Aug 19, 2010 11:10:29 AM

12. He certainly makes mistakes with his grammar; another sign that he is not the sharpest tack on the ballot.

Posted by: Bill | Aug 19, 2010 1:07:13 PM

13. "And, because I take cheap shots - WTF is wrong with that tie. Horrifying."

Posted by: Joe | Aug 18, 2010 7:39:28 PM

_______________________________________

Hmmm... I actually think the tie is the only redeeming part of that photo...

Posted by: TheNiebur | Aug 19, 2010 7:45:20 PM