Lutheran | Lutheran Church | News | Ted Haggard | Tom Brock

Lutherans Allow Pastor with Gay Urges to Return

Lutheran Pastor Tom Brock, whose attendance at a support group for Christians with same-sex attractions was exposed by Lavender Magazine in June, has been allowed to return to the pulpit after a task force could find no evidence that he had ever slept with a man,  the AP reports:

Brock  "Brock told The Associated Press he has known for years he is sexually attracted to men, but doesn't consider himself gay because he never acted on it. 'I am a 57-year-old virgin,' Brock told the Hope Lutheran congregation during services upon returning to the pulpit on Sunday. Brock and Parrish would not share the full task force report, but Parrish said its members could find no evidence Brock ever had sex with men. They confirmed that Brock sought counseling and enlisted another minister as an 'accountability partner' with whom he frequently discussed his struggles. Brock said he intends to step down as senior pastor at Hope Lutheran, but will retain his affiliation with the church and still preach there from time to time."

And - ugh - "Having preached on Twin Cities cable access for about 20 years, he told the AP he hopes to take his broadcasts to a wider national audience with a new message: 'You can have this struggle with same-sex attraction, say no to it, and still follow Christ.'"

Perhaps Brock and Ted Haggard can collaborate on a variety show.

Comments

1. You know, I was having this conversation with a friend just the other day where I said, "Spiritual gay people spend FAR too much time trying to fit a square peg into a round hole."

I have nothing against Christians. I have nothing against Christianity. However, there was a time - before the Judeo-Christian ethic came around - that gay people were revered in their communities. We were looked upon as having a stronger connection to spirit because of our sexuality. We were called upon for all sorts of magickal and mundane reasons by our communities. We were leaders.

Now, for those of us who connect to the spirituality of Christianity, we spend far too much time trying to fit that square peg into a round hole. And it's sad.

And by the way, (fully aware I'm preaching to the choir here) just because you've never had sex with a man doesn't make you any less gay. Gay is a state of being, not a state of doing. That's just like a straight person saying, "I'm a 40 year old virgin. I've never had sex with a person of the opposite sex. Therefore, I can't be straight." Doesn't make much sense, does it?

I would urge anyone in a leadership role in any spiritual philosophy that requires you to consistently try to fit a square peg into a round hole to take that spiritual calling to be a minister and leader and find a place that is more nurturing to your spirit.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 2, 2010 7:48:16 PM

2. Just pointing this out, but don't most Christians who are anti-gay not define "sex" as sex between two men.

I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: Joe | Aug 2, 2010 10:56:46 PM

3. "I would urge anyone in a leadership role in any spiritual philosophy that requires you to consistently try to fit a square peg into a round hole "

I would urge people who wish to criticize Christianity actually study it, rather than rely on the propaganda put out by fundamentalist homophobes. No one believes what they say about homosexuals, why the hell believe what they say about Christ, Christianity, or Christian teachings?

They lie to you about sexuality, which you know and experience, and so recognize their lies as such. Make the leap of logic and realize: they lie about Christianity as well.

Posted by: David | Aug 2, 2010 11:44:40 PM

4. This is making the distinction between same-sex attractions and being "gay". I wouldn't call a celibate, a chosen celibate, who is male and has attractions to other men "gay". The same way I wouldn't call an Asexual man who has homo-romantic relationships "gay". Being "gay" is about embracing a culture, an idea and a way of living coupled with homosexual desires. So I agree, he isn't "gay" at all, which is too bad since he's denying himself a part of who he is.

Posted by: Laizden | Aug 3, 2010 12:29:46 AM

5. Yeah, david...actually study it. Because Ratzinger (who believes that homosexuality is "inherently disordered") hasn't studied christianity. You people disgust me. It's all about "true" christianity with you...which is about as meaningful as "true" water...the kind that's h2o, but somehow true...idiots.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 3, 2010 1:09:24 AM

6. And yes, the vast majority of christians do believe that homosexuality is morally wrong...and they do believe so because their faith.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 3, 2010 1:10:37 AM

7. He's a 57 year old virgin...because of his faith in nonsense... That shouldn't be a cause for praise...but of pity, because it's pathetic. He is a profoundly pathetic human being. the distinction between gay sex and homosexuality is appealing to a lot of people, but ultimately meaningless, as there is no way to distinguish behavior from meaning...and that even if you never have same sex sex in your life....and are still gay, as he clearly is. Sad, pathetic fool. Damaged goods.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 3, 2010 1:15:37 AM

8. I just find this incredibly sad. This man has denied himself some of life's most fulfilling pleasures and emotional developing experiences...and even his christ never told him not to.

Posted by: James in BCN | Aug 3, 2010 2:01:45 AM

9. I don't have to give a shit about christianity, I also don't have to attack it to make a good point.

Virgins are the last people anyone should go to for sex rules. If he wants to condemn it maybe HE should know anything about it first.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 3, 2010 9:26:23 AM

10. So he loses his job without even "sinning". Mighty tolerant of those Lutherans...

Posted by: BobN | Aug 3, 2010 4:15:36 PM