Meg Whitman: ‘I would Defend Prop 8′. Courage Campaign: ‘You Can’t’

At a news conference yesterday, California GOP gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman said that, unlike Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger or Attorney General Brown who have declined defending the measure, she would defend Proposition 8 if elected governor:

Whitman"The issue right now is, as I understand is 'Will Proposition 8 have the appropriate support to actually make an appeal to the circuit court of appeals?' " Whitman said. "And I think the governor, the attorney general today has to defend the constitution and has to enable the judicial process to go along and has to enable an appeal to go through. So if I was governor, I would give that ruling standing to be able to appeal to the circuit court."

The Courage Campaign took Whitman's hypothetical situation and threw it in the trash.

Said Courage Campaign director Rick Jacobs:

"She wouldn't be governor yet. The appeals court will decide before there would be a change of governor and attorney general…You're going to see us making it clear that Meg Whitman is unqualified to be governor on any stand."

Comments

1. John says

The Whitman campaign can best be summarized as:

“I am rich and want a nice title to go along with my wealth, gimme, gimme, gimme”

It is the same deal with Fiorina. What’s really scary is these two spoiled, privileged queens can actually win on that shallow platform. This is California after all. These are the people who gave us Clueless, Beverly Hills 90210, and The OC.

2. Joe says

@John, ummm… Clueless was a pretty insightful reworking of a Jane Austen novel, and I’m pretty sure they would have skewered Whitman in the same way given the film’s viewpoint of its spoiled characters.

3. Skeptical Cicada says

I don’t understand Rory’s comment. Gov. Schwarzeneggar, who is not appealing, is a Republican. Meanwhile, Pres. Obama, a Democrat, is aggressively defending DOMA in court, to the point of urging courts to hold that gays and lesbians are constitutional outcasts. If I were a Californian, I’d give money to Jerry Brown for Governor, but I refuse to subsidize Obama and the political homophobes running the national Democratic Party. I put my constitutional rights above party loyalty. Get some self-respect, Rory.

4. Mike says

Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina would be an unmitigated disaster for California. I just hope the electorate can see through their lies and hypocrisy.

5. MarkDC says

CUNT ASS BITCH.
    CUNT ASS BITCH.
    CUNT ASS BITCH.
    CUNT ASS BITCH.
    CUNT ASS BITCH.
    CUNT ASS BITCH.
    CUNT ASS BITCH.
    CUNT ASS BITCH.
    CUNT ASS BITCH.

FUCKING WORTHLESS WHORE.

6. jason says

Meg Whitman reminds me of a German fraulein with those big round eyes. They look like hard-boiled eggs. As for her anti-gay attitudes, maybe it’s time we gays boycotted ebay.

7. Nuptials in a Nutshell says

But, but, but, if gays could marry then Meg and Carly could marry each other. (Who else would have them?)

I think they both prove that the biggest factor in attaining great wealth is luck.

Let’s hope that is not the biggest factor in obtaining high office.

8. says

I don’t think anyone has mentioned, but the California Republican Convention is being held at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego. The same hotel under boycott due to Doug Manchester’s donation to Prop 8.

Another slap in the face to gays from the Republican Party.

9. Bart says

Can a woman be a douchebag?

She’ll never be governor because of her extreme views on just about everything. And the fact most people in the state except the most strident Republicans hate her.

And as far as Fiorina — she sank a company and walk away with a huge golden parachute. She is exactly what is wrong with the world today and why we are in the mess we’re in.

10. woodroad34d says

Carla and Meg are corporate people who rule by fiat. It is not something that works well in government where they have to negotiate and work with governmental equals. They have no concept of the theory of governance and are therefore on par with George Bush. They will ruin whatever they’re involved in because they are sociopaths and elitits (that was on purpose)

11. Doug says

Well, i hate to be this blunt about how much she is contributing to her campaign, but if the capital gains taxes and other upper 1% income taxes re appear on both State and Federal Level she will have lost practically that much to the tax system anyway. Plus with her leaving office she will be able to recoup most of the money spent getting into office on “consultant deals” like every other politician receives from corporations and lobbyist firms when they exit office for their good deeds to their corproate benefactors while they wer ein office

12. Rafael says

She did crunch the numbers and this kind of attitude benefits her politically. She knows gay people won’t vote for her anyways, so she is appealing to people’s fears with a promise she is fully aware she cannot deliver. Education and information are the best weapons against fear mongers like Ms. Whitman.

13. X says

Views like hers destroy the morality of a society. After all the damage done to gays by American laws over the years, why are we even waiting anymore? Bush was a disaster — why would we elect anyone else who refuses to see us as normal human beings??

If civil unions are so great, tell her to get one herself.

14. says

Of course she fails to understand Walker’s core finding: only those who can show they would be harmed by ss marriage have standing.

@MARKDC: Whitman has so much wrong with her, why stoop to misogyny?

15. Timzilla says

No one spends $103 million to get a $250,000 a year job even out of noblesse oblige. Meg-alomaniac wouldn’t spend a dime if she didn’t think she’d reap billions in return for herself and her big business buddies.

16. Mark says

It is important to note how Meg deals.

On climate change and immigration Meg stepped to the left of her party.

In order to make that move and get the support of her party she needed to throw a bone to the rabid rightwing.

In her mind our constitutional rights were a suitable bone.

That’s how she deals.

This way she gets to make inroads to the Latino Catholic vote in L.A. where she is spending heavily.

She also gets to pull some votes from environmentally conscious libertarians and middle-of-the-road Reagan democrats who are tired of hearing from us on gay rights.

She’s already appealed to 7 million voters who took our rights away. So, could be a winning strategy.

Esp. since the deciding votes for Governor could be cast in L.A. and that is where Prop 8 went down. Wonder how those voters are polling on these questions, that kind of info should start coming out in the next few weeks.

In any case it’s a very interesting political year in CA.

17. grammerqueen says

“So if I was governor…”
    Ew!
    Bitch doesn’t even know that she should be using the subjunctive tense (rather than the past tense) in a contrary to fact clause; ie “So if I were governor…”
    Which she wasn’t, isn’t, and hopefully won’t be.

18. jeromeinatl says

I was considering making a few comments of my own but after reading some of these, I really can’t add too much more other than this. @WOODROAD34D:Do you have any idea how many corporate officials become political officials in this country, and vice versa? Some even yo-yo back and forth seamlessly too. The numbers would astound you. I highly recommend a documentary entitled “The Corporation”. It’s time-consuming but, explicitly informative.

19. A. Beaverhausen says

@Skeptical Cicada: “Gov. Schwarzeneggar, who is not appealing, is a Republican.”

I had to re-read that a few times before I realized it was about Prop 8.

20. jexer says

California politics are just plain wonky.

I’ve learned never to say “never” when it comes to any politician’s chances.

21. Anonymous says

It just pains me that Princeton has a residential college named after this woman! And another one named after that closet case Malcolm Forbes. I wish Princeton were a little more selective on naming things — but like all universities, they will whore themselves for money.

22. says

The gay community has only themselves to blame for pretending for so long that Obama isn’t a certified, religiously inspired, homophobic bigot. In his latest media blitz to confirm he is Christian, Obama sent out two of the most anti-gay christian extremists to assure the public he is indeed Christian. Obama claims to pray with and seek spiritual guidance from Kirbyjon Caldwell and Joel Hunter regularly. Hunter not only runs a reparative therapy group from his Northland Orlando Church, he signed a petition to change the Florida constitution to ban same sex marriage. He was also a president of Pat Robertson’s Christian Coalition. Kirbyjon also is anti marriage and runs an “ex gay” ministry. Obama has been allied with these two ministers since the ’08 primaries. Why would anyone believe Obama supports any kind of gay rights, much less gay marriage, when his religious confidantes are no different from Pat Robertson and James Dobson? Open your eyes and look at the facts:

23. MarkDC says

@ DAVID R.

“Whitman has so much wrong with her, why stoop to misogyny?” – David R

1. Agreed
    2. Only to demonstrate she’s a complete, easily manipulated TOOL.

This performance artist stooge swallows her marching orders from the huge dick smacking her in the face with pre-cum.

Complete tool.

24. BillyBoy says

RE: Massachusetts lawsuits. We WANT the government to appeal (see GLAD’s latest FAQ) so that the decision is applied to more states.

Question: Won’t the next CA governor be in a position to appeal the decision of the Court of Appeals to the Supreme Court?

25. JimmyDj says

Usually I don’t like unproductive name calling and such… but…

Wouldn’t it be fun to light her on fire?

26. captain underpants says

“So if I was governor, I would give that ruling standing to be able to appeal to the circuit court”

Did meg fail third grade grammar or is she putting on the uneducated speak to appeal to dummies?
    Or, maybe she thinks ‘if I was” is correct –in which case she is not only an ugly, mean, thug (see article about her work place beat down) with a dreadful dye job . . . . she is also a dumb ass

27. FunMe says

Thank God we stopped giving money to Democrats…
    POSTED BY: RORY | AUG 21, 2010 5:58:41 PM

Thanks the Democrats in power for f***ing up the gig and making it easy for these LUNATICS to be close to winning.

Democrats have only themselves to blame.

I will only vote for PROGRESSIVE Democrats. The rest (i.e. Blue Dogs and Corporate Whores) … I could care less if they lose.

The days of voting for someone with a “D” who alienates, ignores and insults the gay community are OVAH!

28. jamal49 says

@MarkDC If Pete won’t, I will. Also, I assumed it was one of those say this 9 times real fast kinda things. Well, I did and I couldn’t. I couldn’t say the other thing 9 times real fast either. Hmmm.

29. Benito says

The Republicans are so funny, when the economy is good you say let’s all celebrate “Cinco de Mayo, my brothers” but when the economy is down “it’s all your fault, you damn immigrant”. When most Americans (with Latin America roots) go to the polls this November we will remember that the GOP has gone on a nationwide rant in proposing and passing several anti-immigration legislation and have continue to blame us for the flat economy or worse. We will remember who stands with us and who stands against us, so trying to stop it now is somewhat funny, but go ahead, you will not change our minds. Is does not help that the GOP has recently attacked the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Your hate made you do it, in November; you will reap what you have sown.

30. Jerry says

This is a woman who refused to vote FOR 28 YEARS. She’s the typical egomaniacal fat cow who thinks that her money can buy her the governorship, because,”it’d be cool to be the first woman governor.” Her campaign, after $90+ million, has failed to put her ahead of Brown, and this is red meat to shore up her base. She recently gave $250,000 to the Republican party in CA for voter registration and has promised more. What this political idiot doesn’t understand is that it’s the independents she has to win over, and they tend to be liberal on social issues in CA. The Republican party in CA is a minority party & likely to remain so.