Ellen DeGeneres | Gay Marriage | News | Portia de Rossi

Portia De Rossi to Take Ellen DeGeneres' Name

Portia_ellen

Portia de Rossi will soon be Portia Lee James DeGeneres, TMZ reports:

"Portia has filed a petition to legally change her name to Portia Lee James DeGeneres. She filed the papers in L.A. County Superior Court last Friday. As for why ... the petition says, 'Petitioner is taking the last name of her spouse.'"

The couple married in August 2008.

Comments

1. Well, I guess we know who wears the pants in that family.

I hope this marriage lasts, but somehow, with the age difference and Portia's career taking a huge nose-dive (she could have been the next Julia Roberts), I just don't think they'll still be together in five years.

Posted by: Pants | Aug 9, 2010 3:48:08 PM

2. Age difference? It's only 15 years, geez. Portia just came off of two different series; its not like she was Sandra Bullock before.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 9, 2010 4:30:01 PM

3. So, at age 15 Amanda Lee Rogers became Portia de Rossi and now she becomes Portia Lee James deGeneres.
    I always thought it was strange to change your name and odd to change your name to the name of your partner. It seems old-fashioned.
    But actually it is none of my business and I wish the best for these two women.

Posted by: excy | Aug 9, 2010 5:16:11 PM

4. See, that's the only reason I'd get married. So that someone could take my name, and essentially, be my property. I mean, if I don't own my mate, there's no point to having one. I want ownership rights. That and someone to do shit that I don't want to do, like fetch me drinks, cook, clean and do the laundry.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 9, 2010 5:37:57 PM

5. How disappointing. Same-sex marriage (just like opposite sex marriage) should not mean sacrificing your identity for your partner. It seems weird to want to change her identity like this.

Posted by: Stephen Murray | Aug 9, 2010 7:35:20 PM

6. I bet the fur flies when these two have a snoot full of pink Zinfandel.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 9, 2010 8:02:05 PM

7. Such a beautiful couple. Awesome.

Posted by: Ben | Aug 9, 2010 8:22:36 PM

8. I couldn't see changing my last name, nor would I ask my partner to change his. I'm happy for Portia and Ellen though.

Posted by: daws | Aug 9, 2010 10:10:03 PM

9. i don't see why this is necessary. aside from being old-fashioned and irrelevant, straight couples don't need to file a name change petition to take their spouse's name as their own.

Posted by: henry | Aug 9, 2010 10:23:02 PM

10. I can't see how this is "disappointing". If you want to take your spouse's last name, you should be free and proud to do so. If you don't want to, then just keep your own name. Why is it so complicated?

Posted by: Brendan | Aug 10, 2010 12:44:04 AM

11. I'd hardly call it sacrificing her identity. As someone noted, she's already changed her name once. I'm sure she'll keep de Rossi (or her producers will) for professional engagements. Otherwise people will be confused when someone refers to "that lesbian DeGeneres" (kidding).

Speculating on anyone else's relationship, even if you know them well, is futile and presumptuous. No one knows what goes on in their private lives but them. I think everyone has known couples where you think, What does he/she possibly see in him/her? Yet they endure happily.

Plus, these two have been together quite a while, and this move suggests that their relationship is quite healthy (though I agree that changing your name is a dated practice). It could be a gesture driven by romance, politics, or myriad other reasons. Not to mention, lesbians aren't allowed to break up, are they?

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 10, 2010 12:45:14 AM

12. "'Petitioner is taking the last name of her spouse.'" Wow, it really is that simple, huh? We argue so much over the marriage issue, that the gender-neutral term "spouse" is neglected. But it IS that simple, regardless of genders... I think it's sweet.

Posted by: Alexander | Aug 10, 2010 2:53:08 AM

13. Isn't marriage a many-splendored thing? Domination, sacrifice of identity, conformity... monogamy, jealousy, sexual possessiveness, entitlement, social status, allowing the state a say in your most intimate relationships (oops - "relationship" - you're only allowed one).

But who needs imagination, self determination, creativity, or integrity when a few legal perks are at stake?

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | Aug 10, 2010 5:06:38 PM

14. So much bitter snarkiness... neither Portia nor Ellen have stated what YOU should do, so why deride them for a perfectly normal decision that they are able and allowed to make for themselves? No-one is making YOU do it! Jeez, for people who demand that the world "let us be us" and accept us for that, we sure are an unforgiving and judgmental bunch!

Me? I wish them all the happiness in the world, and if what they have is what they want, more power to them!

Posted by: CKNJ | Sep 21, 2010 3:09:35 PM

15. When will we see that our words result in violence? 2nd Amendment rights - are you kidding me? Gun control now!

Posted by: Wholesale New Era Hats | Sep 20, 2011 11:58:28 PM

16. Thanks for the Ellen DeGeneres news. I wonder how hard it is to request a name change.

Posted by: p90x | Oct 26, 2011 11:39:07 PM