Baseball Manager To Gay Ump: ‘I Ought To Kick Your Ass, You Faggot’

We all know that managers of professional sports teams can get a little worked up over certain calls made by umpires. It looks like Brent Bowers, the manager of the Golden Baseball League team, the Edmonton Capitals, may have crossed the line. Bowers was ejected from a game wherein his team was playing after he confronted openly gay umpire, Billy Van Raaphorst and dropped the f-word.

Bb The Edmonton Journal fills us in on what Bowers is alleged to have said to Raaphorst when he lost his temper:

Raaphorst's official report of Bowers ejection cited Bowers saying: "You know what I heard? I heard you are a (expletive) faggot. The rumour from several managers and people at the league is that you are a fag. The report adds that Bowers hollered: "I ought to kick your ass, you faggot."

Some are even calling this a hate crime.

Initially, there was some confusion as to whether or not Bowers was fired or had resigned.  The team's president, Patrick LaForge clears things up:

"Brent's activities, in our terms, went beyond what's acceptable. We support the Golden Baseball League in their decision to suspend him for the balance of the season, and we further support Brent's decision to resign."

"We did not ask for him to resign. He has chosen to resign and get on with his life."

Asked why the club didn't summarily terminate Bowers, LaForge said: "I think he got it (resignation) out of his mouth before we could say it. We were going through the process of reviewing the league's decision on the suspension and its implications on us as an organization. I was with Brent at the time and he took it upon himself to resign."

Bowers, who has admitted to directing the hateful words to Raaphorst, has been ordered to pay a $5,000 fine.

Comments

1. says

MMMMM no home town pride on my part here…and people wonder why I was so anxious to get out of there….and that was over 10 years ago!

This is progress?

2. Paul R says

Actually, I would say it’s progress. The guy resigned because he likely knew he’d be fired. And he’s out $5K.

Would that have happened 10 years ago? Probably not. And never will come the day when dumbasses don’t say dumb things, but he’s lost his job (however you look at it, he would still be employed if he hadn’t said what he did) and is paying a hefty fine. I’m not sure you can ask for much more than that.

3. Tim says

The whole newspaper article is worth reading because the issue of homophobia is clearly avoided by all of the team and league officials. Not once did the team president or league president mention the wrongness of homophobic slurs. And the LaForge, the team president, couldn’t even mention anything close to sexual orientation when discussing Edmonton’s diversity. You can imagine them all squirming and sweating as much as David Axelrod when asked these questions by reporters. Kudos for the paper for calling this one as it should be seen — clear homophobia.

4. 2 cents says

He and a host of others will now hate gay people even more…unless he enrolls in tolerance rehab.

5. RJ says

@2 CENTS…

Even more? As if it’s the fault of gay people that he and this “host of others” are bigots.

6. stephen says

I’m sorry this guy was living in the old world… gratefully, society increasingly understands that his behavior is beyond the pale.

Seems to me the whole situation was handled very well, and FAR more people will hear the story and learn from it.

Change is a comin’

7. David says

“Bowers was ejected from a game wherein his team was playing after he confronted openly gay empire, Billy Van Raaphorst and dropped the f-word.”

I think you meant to write “openly gay UMPIRE” . . .

8. John M says

Against better judgement I went to a bar a few months ago with a few people that I went to high school with and had one of them ask me “I’ve heard some rumors and I want you to be honest with me, are you a faggot?”

It’s [not] funny, that these people can’t seem to decide if they are going to “tolerate” us as long as we keep our perversion behind closed doors and they don’t have to hear about it or if they feel we are obligated to disclose our sexuality.

9. princely54 says

This kind of outcome is more likely in a society where gays are treated like the equal members of the community as they legally are in Canada.

In the US? Not so much. Here in America, it would be a controversy for 3-4 days, suspensions and apologies, but I doubt the guy would have been fired/resigned. It would be a ‘teachable’ moment…

10. GregV says

“What does this say to a gay or lesbian athlete who is currently with the Edmonton Oilers or on the Edmonton Capitals?”

Why do journalists and even the go-to gay “spokespeople” tend to talk in these redundant and/or non-applicable cliche phrases (“gay and lesbian,” “GLBT,” “openly gay”) whenever addressing issues having to do with gay people?

Even if there were any gay women on either of these teams, the addition of the words “and lesbian” would seem redundant. But they are two ALL MALE teams, so it goes without saying that not a single gay woman and/or lesbian is “currently” on either of them.

Also: the umpire is “gay.” It should go without saying that ANYONE so described is at least somewhat “open,” (otherwise there would be no basis for using the adjective) except in cases where hiding one’s sexuality is a part of the story.

11. Bryan Harrison says

A hate crime? The last time I checked, being an insulting, bigoted, asshole wasn’t a crime.

12. ratbastard says

B.S…..Who doubts there are many in Edmonton and elsewhere who have zero problem with what he said and did? His organization simply didn’t want to deal with the endless protests and possible legal/civil liability ramifications. People are deluding themselves if they think ultimately this makes society in Alberta,Canada or elsewhere more tolerant.

13. TampaZeke says

JOHN M, I hope you responded, “Unless you want to suck my dick I can’t imagine why you would ask or why you would care”.

14. TANK says

no, John M, I hope you responded with, “Faggot? Looky, cunt, I want you think real hard about the next words you utter, because this is about to get very personal and very physical real soon. Did you mean gay?”

15. Paul R says

I’m with Tank, though I probably would have just told him to fuck off, explained why to my other friends, and either had the person leave or leave on my own and see which of my real friends came with me.

16. John M says

Oh, no, I made it very clear how offensive the comment was to not only him but everyone at the bar, even those not in the group. It was as close to becoming a “scene” as it could be without being one.

17. John M says

Also I will say that I know the majority of the twenty something generation has our back on this because everyone locked step with me immediately and he went into full blown panic mode when he realized that everyone in the group and in the bar was horrified and disgusted with him. I think he would have sucked my dick for me to accept his apology, which I never granted to him.

18. jamal49 says

The guy’s an evangelical, too. Gotta love ’em! Their hatred and bigotry marches on.

19. says

This manager was destine to a life in Class “A” ball, and I doubt that he will ever manage again. Chances are, the Umpire, will never make it to the big leagues,either. There was only one gay umpire who made it there, Dave Palone and his career was cut short by MLB, who dodged most questions as why his contract was not extended. I was a well known Cubs fan,and tabbed by Harry Carry, as the teams #1 fan in the 1980s. About 10 years ago, I outed myself to Cubs fans, when one of their players Julian Taveraz, made anti-gay remarks about S.F.Giant fans. That story made the Chicago Sun-Times, and nationally in The Sporting News. In my 25 years of roaming the “Friendly Confines” of the Wrigley Field Bleachers… I was only confronted once when a fan yelled at me from 50 feet away… “Why am I always surrounded by young male fans?” and I yelled back… ARE YOU JEALOUS? The Cubs, and other MLB teams have had many OUT days at their ballparks, however I doubt that any minor league team will have OUT days… because their fan base are mostly young families.

20. Cohanim says

O.K, so he made an anti homo statement, it’s his personal belief system, and he has a right to express himself.

The problem we have in the west is that we are always giving credence to deviants such as homosexuals, whatever happened to our Christianity, no wonder we cannot stand before our Muslim Enemies.

21. JERY JOHNSON says

THIS HAPPEN IN ORANGE COUNTY, (GBL) I WAS THERE, SAW IT ALL, BOWERS IS A FINE MGR AND A GOOD MAN. BILLY HAD EJECTED HIM THE NIGHT BEFORE IN THE FIRST INNING OVER A BAD CALL FROM A DIFFEREND BLUE AT HOME PLATE. THIS LAST EJECTION ALSO FIRST INNING, WAS THE FIRST BASE BLUE’S CALL. ( A BAD CALL) BILLY WAS AT THIRD BASE, THIS WAS NOT HIS CALL, HE RAN ACROSS THE FIELD JUMPED ALL OVER BOWERS THAT STARTED THE WHOLE THING IF BILLY WOULD HAVE STAYED AT THIRD BASE THIS MIGHT HAVE NOT HAPPENED..BRENT AND BILLY ARE BOTH MY FRIENDS..I CAN NOT BELIEVE IT HAPPENED, BRENT BOWERS WILL BE BACK WITH A TEAM NEXT YEAR, BILLY WILL ALSO BE BACK BOTH ARE GOOD MEN.. JERRY JOHNSON RETIRED MILITARY 25 YEARS….