Baseball | Canada

Baseball Manager To Gay Ump: 'I Ought To Kick Your Ass, You Faggot'

We all know that managers of professional sports teams can get a little worked up over certain calls made by umpires. It looks like Brent Bowers, the manager of the Golden Baseball League team, the Edmonton Capitals, may have crossed the line. Bowers was ejected from a game wherein his team was playing after he confronted openly gay umpire, Billy Van Raaphorst and dropped the f-word.

Bb The Edmonton Journal fills us in on what Bowers is alleged to have said to Raaphorst when he lost his temper:

Raaphorst's official report of Bowers ejection cited Bowers saying: "You know what I heard? I heard you are a (expletive) faggot. The rumour from several managers and people at the league is that you are a fag. The report adds that Bowers hollered: "I ought to kick your ass, you faggot."

Some are even calling this a hate crime.

Initially, there was some confusion as to whether or not Bowers was fired or had resigned.  The team's president, Patrick LaForge clears things up:

"Brent's activities, in our terms, went beyond what's acceptable. We support the Golden Baseball League in their decision to suspend him for the balance of the season, and we further support Brent's decision to resign."

"We did not ask for him to resign. He has chosen to resign and get on with his life."

Asked why the club didn't summarily terminate Bowers, LaForge said: "I think he got it (resignation) out of his mouth before we could say it. We were going through the process of reviewing the league's decision on the suspension and its implications on us as an organization. I was with Brent at the time and he took it upon himself to resign."

Bowers, who has admitted to directing the hateful words to Raaphorst, has been ordered to pay a $5,000 fine.

Comments

1. Also I will say that I know the majority of the twenty something generation has our back on this because everyone locked step with me immediately and he went into full blown panic mode when he realized that everyone in the group and in the bar was horrified and disgusted with him. I think he would have sucked my dick for me to accept his apology, which I never granted to him.

Posted by: John M | Aug 8, 2010 11:40:39 PM

2. UGH!!!! THIS TANK THING AGAIN????

Posted by: RED DEVIL | Aug 9, 2010 12:32:29 AM

3. The guy's an evangelical, too. Gotta love 'em! Their hatred and bigotry marches on.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 9, 2010 4:54:36 AM

4. This manager was destine to a life in Class "A" ball, and I doubt that he will ever manage again. Chances are, the Umpire, will never make it to the big leagues,either. There was only one gay umpire who made it there, Dave Palone and his career was cut short by MLB, who dodged most questions as why his contract was not extended. I was a well known Cubs fan,and tabbed by Harry Carry, as the teams #1 fan in the 1980s. About 10 years ago, I outed myself to Cubs fans, when one of their players Julian Taveraz, made anti-gay remarks about S.F.Giant fans. That story made the Chicago Sun-Times, and nationally in The Sporting News. In my 25 years of roaming the "Friendly Confines" of the Wrigley Field Bleachers... I was only confronted once when a fan yelled at me from 50 feet away... "Why am I always surrounded by young male fans?" and I yelled back... ARE YOU JEALOUS? The Cubs, and other MLB teams have had many OUT days at their ballparks, however I doubt that any minor league team will have OUT days... because their fan base are mostly young families.

Posted by: jerry pritikin | Aug 9, 2010 8:40:27 AM

5. O.K, so he made an anti homo statement, it's his personal belief system, and he has a right to express himself.

The problem we have in the west is that we are always giving credence to deviants such as homosexuals, whatever happened to our Christianity, no wonder we cannot stand before our Muslim Enemies.

Posted by: Cohanim | Aug 13, 2010 8:19:50 PM

6. THIS HAPPEN IN ORANGE COUNTY, (GBL) I WAS THERE, SAW IT ALL, BOWERS IS A FINE MGR AND A GOOD MAN. BILLY HAD EJECTED HIM THE NIGHT BEFORE IN THE FIRST INNING OVER A BAD CALL FROM A DIFFEREND BLUE AT HOME PLATE. THIS LAST EJECTION ALSO FIRST INNING, WAS THE FIRST BASE BLUE'S CALL. ( A BAD CALL) BILLY WAS AT THIRD BASE, THIS WAS NOT HIS CALL, HE RAN ACROSS THE FIELD JUMPED ALL OVER BOWERS THAT STARTED THE WHOLE THING IF BILLY WOULD HAVE STAYED AT THIRD BASE THIS MIGHT HAVE NOT HAPPENED..BRENT AND BILLY ARE BOTH MY FRIENDS..I CAN NOT BELIEVE IT HAPPENED, BRENT BOWERS WILL BE BACK WITH A TEAM NEXT YEAR, BILLY WILL ALSO BE BACK BOTH ARE GOOD MEN.. JERRY JOHNSON RETIRED MILITARY 25 YEARS....

Posted by: JERY JOHNSON | Aug 15, 2010 4:50:02 AM

7. NOT AT THIS TIME !!THANK YOU !!

Posted by: JERY JOHNSON | Aug 15, 2010 4:54:52 AM