Anne Rice | Books | Christopher Rice | Don Lemon | Evangelical Christians | News | Religion

Watch: Anne Rice Explains Why She Quit Christianity

Rice

Author Anne Rice spoke with CNN's Don Lemon about her very public departure from Christianity.

Said Rice when asked if her decision was perhaps influenced because her son Christopher is gay:

"No. But certainly gay rights have mattered to me all my professional life. I've always been for complete equal rights for gay people. I felt that way before Christopher was even born."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. A person's choice of religious observances is a personal one... a choice that is only worth a short, concise answer to anyone uninvolved. Ms. Rice's in-depth explanations are reeking of exploitation and self-aggrandizement.

Posted by: TommyOC | Aug 9, 2010 11:56:17 AM

2. @Tommyoc: If you've ever read any of Anne's books (besides Interview w/a Vampire, actually), & I'm not advocating that you do; you'd understand "short" & "concise" haven't ever applied to her "-).

Posted by: 2cents | Aug 9, 2010 12:10:16 PM

3. then how about keeping your personal observances to your self...aren't most mainstream religions exploitive and reeking in aggrandizement...if miss rice wants to speak of her motivations how does that belittle what ever fairy tale you have to tell yourself.

Posted by: epic | Aug 9, 2010 12:15:59 PM

4. An intelligent voice and a personal principled stand -- she doesn't think or speak in sound bites, and on some of these issues that's a welcome relief.

Posted by: JauntyJohn | Aug 9, 2010 12:26:26 PM

5. Why shouldn't she have a right to speak out against a religion she finds has lost it's wa?. She loves her faith, but not the church which clings to archaic social 'norms'. I think people want to know why she left and she should be able to talk about it without a bunch of cynical gay people getting mad at her for defending them.

Posted by: B-rad | Aug 9, 2010 12:26:36 PM

6. Still painting all Christians with the same brush. She needs to make the distinction between "Catholics" and other denominations. This is getting tired.

When is her new book released and wonder if that's when she'll suddenly decide to stop speaking on the issue? Interesting that she blames her faith issues on her bad writing at the end of the interview.

Posted by: DR | Aug 9, 2010 12:37:39 PM

7. GO ANNE! Why should she speak out about her "personal choice"? Because the only voices claiming to speak for Christianity in the public sphere are the ones spewing the bigotry and intolerance she decries. Because the anti-gay voices make the explicit argument that it is their "personal" beliefs that trump our civil rights. Because she has a huge following of straight fans who take her ideas and opinions very seriously, and as a despised minority we need all the support we can get from middle America. Because NO ONE ELSE claiming to be a committed Christian is making the case that the bible does not support the prejudice against and demonizing of gays on CNN.

I could go on, but the bitter queens who wouldn't know an ally if it fell out of their stretched out assholes won't be satisfied with anything but their "personal" right to offend even those who stand with us.

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 9, 2010 12:46:01 PM

8. She could have quoted Ghandi: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

She gave a cogent answer elsewhere why she didn't join a pro-gay, pro-woman Protestant denomination, like the one that wants to recruit her [ http://www.facebook.com/like.the.UCC ]. She basically said that the Catholics, and Protestants for the most part, were so screwed up she rather just leave the whole fucking mess. Good answer.

Posted by: Philo | Aug 9, 2010 12:54:19 PM

9. GO ANNE! Why should she talk about her "personal choice" on CNN? Because the only other voices on TV which claim to represent Christianity are ones spewing the hatred and intolerance she is decrying. Because she has legions of straight fans who take her ideas and opinions very seriously, and the fight for equality requires all the support we can get in middle America. Because she is the only Christian in the public sphere making the case that the bible does not support the demonizing of gays and hobbling of women. But most of all, because the bigots who are denying us our rights make the argument that is their "personal beliefs" which are being attacked by our equality.

I could go on, but the cynical queens who wouldn't know an ally if one fell out of their stretched-out ass won't be happy with anything but their "personal" bitterness that chases off even those who are stretching out a hand to help us.

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 9, 2010 12:56:59 PM

10. "Still painting all Christians with the same brush. She needs to make the distinction between "Catholics" and other denominations. This is getting tired. "

Why? Any other Chrisitian organization, will, by its very nature, encourage doctrinal obedience and a weakness to authority figures.

Given your incessant political rants, you should be the last persom to be encouraging others to believe in a supreme authority. But you're just another hypocrite.

Posted by: Zach | Aug 9, 2010 12:57:20 PM

11. God does not exist! Religion poisons everything!

Posted by: Joe | Aug 9, 2010 12:58:28 PM

12. I hate the delay in posting comments, it interferes with my indignant sense of righteousness!

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 9, 2010 12:58:47 PM

13. Hey, did you see anderson cooper's interview of christopher hitchens? he's not looking good.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 9, 2010 1:01:03 PM

14. "Still painting all Catholics with the same brush. She needs to make the distinction between "Catholics" and other Catholics. This is getting tired."

it is, DR. You're so bigoted... Your own arguments for christian faith will be used against you, because you're a moron.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 9, 2010 1:05:46 PM

15. TOMMYOC, and so is your comment.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 9, 2010 1:31:36 PM

16. I was raised Catholic and unlike Ms. Rice understand that the Catholics and the UCC aren't the same. Only someone with an axe to grind will assume we're all the same. When Anne Rice makes these assumptions about all Christians, the trained monkeys applaud, forgetting that the same ones applauding are the ones complaining when the GLBT community are subject to the same. But that's the intellectual disconnect for you, I guess.

Posted by: DR | Aug 9, 2010 1:32:07 PM

17. TANK, he's dying, I don't know how good a dying man is supposed to look. ;)

DR, are you claiming that being anti-gay or anti-women's reproductive rights is solely a Catholic position? Name the churches in this country that FULLY support, NATIONWIDE, FULL civil rights for gays and a woman's right to choose. Here, I'll make it easy for you: The United Church of Christ (1.2 million members) and the MCC (probably less than 25,000). So most of the rest of the 250,000,000+ MILLION Christians in this country align themselves with churches whose nationwide denomination does NOT support FULL civil equality for gays and/or a woman's right to choose.

I might add that Catholics are more likely to support marriage equality than Southern Baptists or any other protestant fundamentalist denomination.

So basically, your comment is bullshit on MANY levels.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 9, 2010 1:42:53 PM

18. I was raised Catholic and unlike Ms. Rice understand that some Catholics and all Catholics aren't the same. Only someone with an axe to grind will assume we're all the same. When Anne Rice makes these assumptions about all Catholics, the trained monkeys applaud, forgetting that the same ones applauding are the ones complaining when the GLBT community are subject to the same. But that's the intellectual disconnect for you, I guess."

Herrro! Stupids!

Posted by: TANK | Aug 9, 2010 1:44:52 PM

19. I realize he's dying...and it's quite a shame. I liked how he cleared up the humiliation and disregard for human dignity promoted by religionists concerning so-called "deathbed conversions".

Posted by: TANK | Aug 9, 2010 1:46:46 PM

20. CH is taking chemo for esophageal cancer (smoking and drinking are implicated). The cure rate for this cancer is very, very low. That's bad because his voice is unique in a odd way--very conservative on foreign policy (neo-conish) and very liberal on domestic issues (socialistic). What you'd call a mid-century British patriot Laborite. Anne Rice is something of a female Stephen King.

Posted by: anon | Aug 9, 2010 1:51:21 PM

21. Incidentally, I was lector for the scripture reading at my church yesterday. I wasn't going to do it do to my recent renouncing of my faith. Then I read the scripture that I was assigned to present. It was Isaiah 1:11-20 and it was AWESOME. I encourage everyone to read it, PARTICULARLY in The Message translation.

This scripture's angry renunciation of religion gave me the perfect opening to announce to my United Church of Christ congregation that I, like Ann Rice, had renounced my Christian faith and my Christian identity. Since I am the Moderator (lay leader) of the church, I thought they had a right to know. I was applauded and congratulated and told that they still want me to be the Moderator if I choose to stay in the church.

I love my congregation for what they stand for and what they DO. I've never been a part of an organization that fought for justice the way First United Church of Tampa does. I told them that I would stay with ANY group that did that, I wouldn't care if it were a coven of witches (in fact I LOVE all of the witches I know).

I was surprised that since yesterday I've received about eight phone calls from members privately disclosing that they are joining me and Ann Rice even if they aren't ready to publicly announce it.

I see a revolution happening.

I'm SO grateful for my UCC church that provided an accepting and supportive environment and nurturing family as I struggled through my spiritual crises.

I'm still a HUGE fan of the United Church of Christ for what it has done for me and what it does to promote peace THROUGH JUSTICE in this country and around the world.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 9, 2010 1:57:17 PM

22. I just feel really sad when people disparage my faith in giant purple marshmellow that controls the weather. It's so hurtful that someone could not believe that He is Lord, and he has instructed me and all of his followers to promote his ethical views that all religion but worship in him is bullshit, and morally bankrupt...and that people who don't worship giant purple marshellow through ritualistic sacrifice (smores), will be cast into a pit of fluff for all eternity. VIVE LA REVOLUCION!

Posted by: TANK | Aug 9, 2010 2:09:15 PM

23. Perhaps Ms. Rice wants to go back writing the horror novels she renounced before she started writing less successful books with Christian themes? Someone leaving their religion is not news, unless it's the Pope doing it. She is looking for publicity, apparently.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 9, 2010 2:12:13 PM

24. TANK, try to keep up. Rice didn't say that all Catholics are the same; her beef is with the institutional church, and by extension, those Catholics and Christians who use religion to deny gays and women equal rights.

Certainly, there are Catholics who fully support equality, and in my opinion RIce is speaking for them as well as herself. I don't know if you have tried to practice your faith as an adult, but it is very hard to be socially progressive and active in a Catholic parish outside of a few large cities. Even here in NYC the Dignity chapter at the very progressive St. Xavier church in Chelsea had to march in the gay pride parade behind a blank banner thanks to the pronouncement of "our" Bishop. And then of course there are the denouncements from il Papa about how gay clergy are responsible for the pedophilia scandal, and how women clergy would be as grave an offense as pedophilia. Even if you find a liberal Catholic parish you can't hide from what your church teaches at the highest (divinely inspired) levels. So, you either shut up and take it, or leave. Rice has made a persuasive case for her own personal reasons for leaving. She doesn't claim to speak for all Catholics, or even the ones who agree with gay rights.

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 9, 2010 2:17:06 PM

25. "TANK, try to keep up. Rice didn't say that all Catholics are the same; her beef is with the institutional church, and by extension, those Catholics and Christians who use religion to deny gays and women equal rights."

Exactly. DR did. I can't keep up with all of this giant purple marshmellow hate, though. It's quite distracting and dispiriting...giant purple marshmellow created all of our "spirits," so it's dispiriting somehow.

I mean, you can't condemn all nazis, either. There were some nazis who weren't antisemitic and prejudiced. Painting nazism with a broad brush does no one any favors.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 9, 2010 2:21:06 PM