Barack Obama | News

BigGayDeal.com

Federal Agencies Allow Gay Workers 24-Hour Leave Without Pay

As part of a benefits package extended to gay and lesbian federal employees and their same-sex partners, the OPM this week implemented a provision allowing those employees temporary leave without pay for educational and medical reasons, the WaPo reports:

Capitol "The Office of Personnel Management announced the changes late last week, instructing federal agencies to extend 24 hours of leave without pay each year to gay federal workers, essentially allowing them to attend school functions and medical and dental appointments or to provide care to an elderly partner...The federal government's leave-without-pay policy is separate from the Family and Medical Leave Act and Obama cannot extend full benefits to the same-sex partners of federal employees unless Congress passes relevant legislation. Efforts to do so have stalled this year in the House and Senate."

Comments

1. 3 days with no pay a year??? What an insult.

Posted by: gaylib | Sep 14, 2010 9:02:49 AM

2. Wow. How gracious of them.

"Yes, you can leave the premises for a family emergency but you'll be financially penalized for it."

Truly, I am bowled over by their magnanimity. Scions of kindness they are.

Seriously?

Get fucked.

Posted by: Gridlock | Sep 14, 2010 9:29:12 AM

3. I agree with you GAYLIB (nice name), that is a real insult to hard working people and there family. Something needs to be done about this before more people lose their jobs!

Posted by: Dawnell_do | Sep 14, 2010 9:35:14 AM

4. WOW, our "Fierce Advocate" got us 24 hours of unpaid leave from our jobs, if we're federal employees.

All is forgiven! Where do I send my money and where do I volunteer for the campaign?

NOT!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Sep 14, 2010 9:53:09 AM

5. Yeahhhhh.. he's certainly not making any winning moves with us this term is he? *sigh* Looks like its time to just suck up another 8 yrs of GOP rule..

Posted by: Darren | Sep 14, 2010 10:00:46 AM

6. Darren: I doubt we'll notice much of a difference.

Posted by: Gridlock | Sep 14, 2010 10:06:04 AM

7. I love this part:

Im so Eff'ing Sick of this countries Bullshit,and the way LGBT TAX PAYING Citizens ARE TREATED....everything Obama does is "Watered down"....the DADT,HCR and WALL street Reform...everything is eff'ing watered down to ther point of USELESSNESS! Liberty & Justice for ALL my ass!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 14, 2010 10:19:16 AM

8. Mmmmmm. Crumbs from the table...

Posted by: ichabod | Sep 14, 2010 10:37:23 AM

9. delicious, useless crumbs

Posted by: Gridlock | Sep 14, 2010 10:40:38 AM

10. since the gay community ONLY seems to get Crumbs from Obama and his administration - Id love to see a parody of the Cookie Monster...instead it's the "Crumb Monster"...."mmmmmm, i got crumbs from the table...mmmmmmmmm" C-R-U-M-B-S!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 14, 2010 10:45:50 AM

11. This is some bullshit.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Sep 14, 2010 10:48:50 AM

12. You should all move to Europe! I live in a relatively conservative country (Austria) but I was given three days off work for my civil partnership (the same as for a heterosexual marriage) and when my American partner had a minor operation I was allowed to take three days off to look after him. All these days off were PAID in full! We also get 35 days paid vacation! I'm not gloating - I just can't believe how the government and corporations of the US (a country I love by the way) treats its citizens so badly when it comes to getting time off. I'm also extremely disappointed by Obama's apparent fear of battling for gay people. I wish you all luck in the battles ahead.

Posted by: Paul | Sep 14, 2010 11:25:11 AM

13. This is such bullshit. I'm a federal employee, Leave Without Pay is already available to me simply by applying for it, just like my Annual and Sick Leave. What I use it for is beyond the point.

Posted by: mrpeenee | Sep 14, 2010 1:46:34 PM

14. I remain amazed by how much of the USA continues to actively discriminate against LGBT people. It is some lousy example for the rest of the world from the so-called "leader of the free world." Scandinavia, Mexico, and little old Canada are streaks ahead of you, despite what the US jingoists on this board want people to think. We'll be more impressed (or appalled) by how you treat your citizens than by how many hydrogen bombs you have.

Posted by: Tone | Sep 14, 2010 2:16:05 PM

15. Things like this (the stalling of legislation in Congress) just confound me.

Do socially conservative Republicans really believe that people will stop being gay if they deny them rights. Do they think Gay people will just stop demanding rights, or partnering up if they refuse them. This plan hasn't actually worked. More and more people are realizing it's okay to be gay and coming out and living their lives happily. If this was the social conservative plan, to deny gays equal treatment so that they could scare people from coming out, it is not working anymore.

God, Republicans are morons. It's obvious it's them (and probably some of those idiot blue dogs as well) that are holding things up. Obama did as much as he could (since he has said he is for real equal benefits, even though he is not for marriage) but social conservatives run too much of congress. ick.

Posted by: Joe | Sep 14, 2010 9:02:34 PM