2010 Election

Iowa AG Candidate Turns Marriage Into Election Issue

Brennafindley

Most midterm candidates have spent their electoral energy stressing "Main Street" economic issues to win over voters. Iowa's Attorney General hopeful Brenna Findley has decided to take another route: she's playing on the tried and true culture war to drum up her Republican base.

"I support marriage between one man and one woman. As Attorney General I can tell you I support the marriage amendment as well as to amend the Iowa Constitution so that the people will have a vote on the marriage issue," said Findley last week of Iowa's marriage-equality law, decided by the state's Supreme Court in 2009. She went on to say, "If it is ever challenged in court I will defend our marriage amendment in court as your Attorney General."

Findley isn't alone in calling for a constitutional convention: Rep. Steve King, three Catholic Churches and Patti Brown, a partner at the Iowa Policy Institute, have all come out to edit out equality in Iowa. Hopefully Findley's remarks will galvanize supporters to counter her campaign and Iowa's residents will realize that Findley's blowing archaic smoke.

Image via Iowa GOP's Flickr.

Comments

1. She should be immediately disbarred.

Posted by: Tim | Sep 28, 2010 9:37:28 AM

2. She looks like Ed Meese in drag.

Posted by: gpm | Sep 28, 2010 9:45:30 AM

3. I'd like to think I'm stunned by how low people will go to gain votes, but after the recent GOP gubernatorial primaries here in Georgia, nothing phases me anymore.

Marginalizing a minority to further one's own ambitions appears to be the only way these valueless twits can make inroads into an uninformed, uneducated, bible thumping electorate.

With all that I continue to see and read with my own eyes, it makes feel so un-proud to be an American. If these so-called "christians" truly believe in the bullshit they espouse day in and day out, then I do hope and pray when their day comes, they will be denied entry into their "holy gates" of heaven.

Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me. You're time is ticking.

Posted by: Keith | Sep 28, 2010 9:57:56 AM

4. I love it when she says, "'If it is ever challenged in court I will defend our marriage amendment in court as your Attorney General.'" Translation: I probably won't get the chance, but if I do, you can be sure I'll side with you bigots, my voters!

Clearly, marriage still plays with her neanderthal base in IA, but I suspect its life is fleeting. In VT (admittedly more politically progressive than IA) the staunch social conservative (Repub--of course) who's running for governor knows the anti-gay card doesn't play here any more. He's firmly against marriage equality, testified against CUs as a private citizen, yet runs away from the issue because he knows it's settled here. Time is our friend.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 28, 2010 10:36:13 AM

5. I really can't say it much better than Keith @9:57.
    During the "W" years the Right-wing-nut Republicans drummed up hatred of Gay people. Now they will use Muslims and Gay people.

Posted by: daya | Sep 28, 2010 1:12:20 PM

6. Why start this post suggesting a candidate for attorney general be focused on economic issues? No matter the election cycle, attorneys general focus on legal matters, not state budgets. This gal's bigoted and crazy, but marriage equality is a high-profile issue in Iowa this year.

Posted by: Ross | Sep 28, 2010 2:57:51 PM

7. So she's saying she can't, in good faith, take the oath of office swearing allegiance to the Iowa Constitution.

Posted by: BobN | Sep 28, 2010 5:10:18 PM