Don't Ask, Don't Tell | John McCain | Meghan McCain | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

Meghan McCain: Don't Blame Me for My Dad's Position on DADT — Also, Blame Obama

Mccain_meghan

Meghan McCain broke her silence on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and her father's role as the most forceful advocate against repeal.

Wrote McCain on Twitter:

"I am a supporter of LGBT rights and am against DADT - I fight every day. Until you are the daughter of a republican senator - don't assume what I do and the stances I take are ever easy. I love my family and I love the gay community. There's a lot of anger being projected at me personally for my father's stance on DADT. I love my father very much and we disagree. Project your anger at politicians and the president you elected, because last time I checked - Obama isn't exactly advocating for LGBT rights or removing DADT."

Comments

1. I don't believe that John McCain thinks for a moment that gays harm the military. He is supporting DADT purely as a political stance to get re-elected. I think that is hypocritical and evil - unfortunately, it also appears to work. Until progressive Americans get off their ass and get to the polls and vote, nothing will change. This goes for Obama's stance also.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 19, 2010 10:15:16 AM

2. Why are we even paying attention to this woman?

Posted by: Josh | Sep 19, 2010 10:28:22 AM

3. Meghan McCain says Obama has done nothing for gays but that is a lie and she knows it.

Obama signed the Hate Crimes bill, the first federal law to acknowledge gays.

Obama issued a directive banning hospitals from discriminating against gay couples in respect to hospital visitation rights.

Obama supports repeal of DADT and other gay rights issues.

John McCain claims to be against gay rights in all areas, doesn't he?

Meghan is deflecting for her bigoted dad. Why isn't the gay community calling her out on this?

If she was a true supporter she would call out her dad more than Obama.

Posted by: Josh | Sep 19, 2010 10:32:07 AM

4. lol ok straight white girl.

It's not about you. If you're going to try to blame us for our problems (but you voted for him!) just because you're getting flack, maybe you shouldn't be advocating LGBT rights. Being an advocate of the gay community, as a straight person, should be a privilege, not something you can throw around and use to get passive aggressive as soon as you get a little bit of criticism from the people you're supposed to be bringing attention to.

Grow up.

Posted by: Joseph | Sep 19, 2010 10:36:12 AM

5. I wonder what might happen if the supposedly pro-gay Republicans spent half as much time trying to convince their own party to drop the hate that they spent rationalizing that hate to the gay community?

No, Obama hasn't pushed hard enough for LGBT issues. But Obama will sign the DADT repeal and McCain vowed to veto it. I think that's a sharp enough contrast. We have to push the Democrats harder on our issues. Or just get Lady GaGa to do it. Whatever works.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Sep 19, 2010 10:47:52 AM

6. I'm just worried about her dad standing on the corner with his cane yelling about the holograms and throwing cans at the garbage men--I don't think this ends well. "Holograms!!!!!"

Poor guy. Remember when he pretended to put country first? Turns out he's a bad speller: cunty first.

Posted by: Rebel | Sep 19, 2010 11:13:55 AM

7. I promise you the worthless, spoiled, rich idiot known as Meghan McCain would go away if you would just ignore her.

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 19, 2010 11:52:55 AM

8. I don't believe that John McCain thinks for a moment that gays harm the military. He is supporting DADT purely as a political stance to get re-elected
    POSTED BY: MIKE | SEP 19, 2010 10:15:16 AM

Obviously you had too many Mamosa's this morning...right?

Posted by: Jimmy D | Sep 19, 2010 12:12:56 PM

9. "I wonder what might happen if the supposedly pro-gay Republicans spent half as much time trying to convince their own party to drop the hate that they spent rationalizing that hate to the gay community?"

Not much. There are only a handful of them and the vast majority is against us. Besides, if they changed their message away from propaganda about how "inclusive" the GOP is, they'd lose the financial backing they get and we'd never hear from them again.

Posted by: BobN | Sep 19, 2010 1:09:24 PM

10. Sorry, but as much as I despise the Republiscum, this girl's got a point. Obama could end DADT with a stroke of his pen, just as Harry Truman ended segregation in the military, but he ain't gonna do it. He doesn't want to.

And do NOT assume Obama will sign a DADT repeal by Congress, should one get through. Not until he's done it. The fact that he and his administration still blame liberals for not supporting them in their two-faced decisions and their sucking up to the bankers and Wall Street scum shows he's not to be trusted.

Case in point, the defense spending bill holds a repeal of DADT in it, doesn't it? Yet Obama's probably going to veto it, using Pentagon overspending as his excuse. I honestly think this is just another dance he and the Democowards in Congress are doing so they can say to the gay community, "We tried but it just didn't happen; maybe next year...or the year after."

Until they come up with their next excuse.

Obama's against gay marriage and full rights for gay citizens. He's said so. Don't expect him to change his mind now.

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | Sep 19, 2010 3:28:38 PM

11. Kyle , let go of the Obama Hate. More has happened on his watch in our favor than all of the presidents before him combined.

DADT repeal would not be happening without his approval. Harry Reid stood with Dan Choi and myself over a year ago and told us that he AND the President were going to repeal DADT because it was a "stupid policy". I have been in several briefings on the issue and can assure that the President wants this done in a way that will stick.

Cue Michael Bedwell.

BTW, Meghan has just jumped the shark.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 19, 2010 3:34:54 PM

12. @Kyle

DADT repeal and desegregation of the military are two different animals. There was no law on the books born out of congress that forbade blacks from serving in the military. It was just a policy of the military for which Truman was the commander and chief of. DADT is law, born out of congress, therefore to kill it, a repeal must be legislated out of congress and Obama will sign it into law.

You might be thinking of Obama's ability to temporarily halt further discharges by issuing an executive order. This half measure would be only temporary and could be reversed by the next President. It would also be a political land mine. The current process moving through congress now and the defense department review is the way DADT will die.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 19, 2010 4:44:48 PM

13. The executive order could bypass congress and suspend the law, which is the similarity to the desegregation E.O. issued by truman. I don't know why I even bother responding to hapless apologists for oppression like brian in texas...surely there are more productive uses for his organs...

Posted by: TANK | Sep 19, 2010 4:54:59 PM

14. And it wouldn't be a "political landmine," when the vast majority of, even, republicans support overturning DADT. This temporary measure would be an unequivocal message from the WH that the administration will not tolerate this bigoted policy. However, in reality, the effete democrats will not accomplish anything with regard to DADT repeal. That will have to be achieved through the courts, like most every other lgbt civil rights initiative.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 19, 2010 4:58:03 PM

15. Political land mine with regard to the military community for which the teabaggers and republicans will latch onto for their own political gain. Doing the "study" and having the law stricken legislatively will give Obama and the dems cover and achieve the same result.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 19, 2010 6:12:38 PM

16. Which is nothing...as it won't be repealed this week. The only appropriate administration response to DADT's failure to be repealed--as the military spending bill will be killed--is the EO suspending its enforcement. Anything short of that is empty politics.

And the first part applies regardless of the EO or repeal. Soooooooo, you're a legal scholar now? At least the hand you're playing is transparent, and is full of your dick. You're more concerned with the success of dem politicos than with lgbt equality. Awkward...

Posted by: TANK | Sep 19, 2010 6:19:00 PM

17. Famewhore bitchcunt

Posted by: tex | Sep 19, 2010 7:50:26 PM

18. Democratic politics and LGBT equality go hand in hand whether that be good or bad. The U.S. has a two party political system and the democrats are the only ones that don't completely pander to right wing Christian conservatives.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 19, 2010 10:14:13 PM

19. Obama has done lots for gays. She is just trying to soft peddle her rightwing southern tinged gop party of fascist and fundamentlist homophobes. I like her but she should not be voting Republican.

Posted by: Chad | Sep 20, 2010 3:41:27 AM

20. "Democratic politics and LGBT equality go hand in hand"

False. Everything I said is accurate about you. You are a party line voter, and are thereby an unintelligent citizen. Look at how much good it's done so far...

"whether that be good or bad."

So, whether that be FOR lgbt rights or opposed to and/or unconcerned with lgbt equality (as it is now). Whether they use us as the pigskin or don't...In case I hadn't made it clear, you are an extremely stupid man.

"The U.S. has a two party political system"

Yawn. Thanks, schmucko.

"and the democrats are the only ones that don't completely pander to right wing Christian conservatives."

But they pander, and clearly their lack of "complete pandering" to the that element hasn't achieved anything in terms of tangible rights on the federal level. And moreso, in many cases, on the state level. You keep fuckin' that chicken, though...I'm sure some people have a need to be frightened.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 20, 2010 3:48:19 AM

21. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the legislators still meet even after the election? Not until January when the new legislators are sworn in do they have an effect. So wouldn't Obama wait till after the election to repeal DADT? Also with the special committee report coming out in December what could the Republicans do? I could be wrong but this seems like the best time to deal with it.

Posted by: Dawson | Sep 20, 2010 12:43:31 PM