Barack Obama | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Obama: 'I'm A Christian By Choice'

6a00d8341c730253ef0134864f8847970c-800wi President Obama's opponents enjoy taking aim at his religion, and have worked overtime to paint him as Muslim, which to many conservatives is worse than practicing no faith at all.

Though the Commander-in-Chief has tried and tried to convince people he's Christian, his efforts often fall flat: almost 20% of voters still think he practices Islam. Perhaps the President's unscripted reply in Albuquerque, New Mexico, will quiet some of his religious critics.

"Why are you a Christian?" asked a woman today, leading Obama, who's traveling around four Republican-leaning states, to answer, “I’m a Christian by choice."

He went on to explain, "I came to my Christian faith later in life and it was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life that I would want to lead. Being my brothers and sisters’ keeper, treating others as they would treat me, and I think also understanding that Jesus Christ dying for my sins spoke to the humility we all have to have as human beings."

Of course, skeptics and cynics will likely suggest the White House planted this woman there to ask that very question. Because, you know, the administration doesn't have anything else to worry about...

Read Obama's entire reply, AFTER THE JUMP.

I’m a Christian by choice. My family, frankly, they weren’t folks who went to church every week. My mother was one of the most spiritual people I knew but she didn’t raise me in the church, so I came to my Christian faith later in life and it was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life that I would want to lead.

Being my brothers and sisters’ keeper, treating others as they would treat me, and I think also understanding that Jesus Christ dying for my sins spoke to the humility we all have to have as human beings, that we’re sinful and we’re flawed and we make mistakes and we achieve salvation through the grace of God.

But what we can do, as flawed as we are, is still see God in other people, and do our best to help them find their own grace. That’s what I strive to do, that’s what I pray to do every day.

Comments

1. @Al: "Believing in some make believe sky fairy, is a sign of mental illness"

Yes and no. When you talk to God you are called "pious", but if He talks back you are called "schizophrenic".

Or, when you are a Republican and you profess your Christianity you are called "fascist", but if you are a Democrat you are called "messiah".

Posted by: BradK | Sep 29, 2010 4:07:59 AM

2. "Atheism is just another way of oppressing and marginalizing everyone who has experienced something you don't."

The above statement is totally wrong. Atheists and agnostics have NEVER waged war on others to get them to believe what they believe.

On the other hand, "Christians" (and Muslims) have killed many others over the centuries, i.e., the crusades/inquisition, etc., to get them to believe as they believe.

Posted by: elg | Sep 29, 2010 7:46:35 AM

3. Of course that woman was a plant. This is something that Obama desperately wanted to say. Do you really think some random wing-nut got into a carefully scripted "back yard" event with only a handful of people? And you want to get all snarky about it as if suggesting such a thing makes you a tin foil loving conspiracy theorist? Talk about naive. Obama could never say something with so much Christian code talk without having memorized it, or by reading it from his teleprompter. Obama does not do extemporaneous.

Posted by: gaylib | Sep 29, 2010 8:21:17 AM

4. "There is nothing wrong with discussing one's faith, or lack thereof."

Lack thereof? You're showing your bias. How about "There's nothing wrong with believing in imaginary deities, or being a realist."

Posted by: wimsy | Sep 29, 2010 9:51:23 AM

5. It's interesting that most Catholics don't realize that they are expected to believe that the bread-and-wine are really the body and blood of their savior. They literally eat their god's flesh and drink his blood. Ewwwwww!

Posted by: wimsy | Sep 29, 2010 9:55:38 AM

6. Yes! Finally! Religion, unlike sexuality, IS a choice! And it begs the question: Why buy second hand what you already own?

Posted by: Jonster | Sep 29, 2010 10:51:01 AM

7. Only God (contingent on his/her existence) and Obama know what Obama really believe about God. I do think it is sad that only heterosexually married and "Christian" men can get elected in this country. I also think he altered his stance on marriage equality to the hair splitting one it currently is because he knew he would never be elected being in favor of full equality. Like him I think many of the social teachings of Christ are very good. Too bad most of his "followers" obsess over gay and reproductive choice issues.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Sep 29, 2010 2:36:01 PM

8. I believe he's a liar by choice. I mean LIAR.

Posted by: XYZ | Sep 29, 2010 3:18:11 PM

9. I was (again) terribly disappointed by Obama's response to the question of his religion. If he is as intelligent as we are told then he is a hypocrite (liar), and if he truly believes that someone died for his sins then he is not all that intelligent. What he is is a politician, but not a very good one.

Posted by: JerryZ | Sep 29, 2010 6:24:33 PM