Advertising | Austria | Brandon Flowers | Drag Queens | Film | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #730

2001, AN ACID ODYSSEY: Dude has major chemically-induced freakout during movie at the Egyptian Theater in L.A.

MOTHER SABRINA: World of Wonder's James St. James interviews a drag legend.

SECRETLY GAY: A new Austrian ad for the Swedish/Dutch furniture giant Ikea.

BRANDON FLOWERS: Discusses his new record on iHeartRadio.

For recent Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. Don't forget that Brandon Flowers is a devout Mormon whose wife converted to Mormonism prior to their wedding so that the two could be married in a Mormon temple. Brandon Flowers has also refused to go on record with his thoughts regarding proposition 8/marriage equality. Smile like you mean it.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 13, 2010 4:18:34 PM

2. That IKEA video is labeled wrong. It's not "gay", it's bisexual. It's a bi boy who is cheating seeing a woman while trying to keep his sugar daddy satisfied.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 13, 2010 4:23:20 PM

3. The guy in the IKEA commercial seems secretly straight.

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Sep 13, 2010 6:14:36 PM

4. that Ikea commercial makes me sick to my stomach.

Posted by: nick | Sep 13, 2010 6:36:37 PM

5. Too bad the acid-freakout at the Egyptian video turns out to be a private one that can't be viewed. I took lots of acid there back in the day (but didn't ever freak out). Would have loved the "trip" down memory lane, tho.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 13, 2010 7:13:34 PM

6. I don't get the Ikea ad. Normally I get things but as I get older, I find myself more out in the dark. Thank you for listening.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Sep 13, 2010 8:33:55 PM

7. what's not to get, angela? Seriously... My eighty three year old nana would get it. Well, she's not retarded, so that may have something to do with it. As to the commercial, boooooooo! It's not going to sell ikea, as no one's talking about the furniture or the brand.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 13, 2010 8:37:59 PM

8. As to the significance of the commercial, or those who don't get it...see, the two men are brothers, and the woman is the girlfriend the ugly closeted gay guy in the pink shirt. And she's cheating on him with his brother to get back at him for cheating with every whoooooooare in town and not telling her that he's gay. They're playing footsie under the table because though they're brothers, it's an incestuous homosexual relationship, and has been since they were teenagers. Also, one of them has a club foot, and therefore, can't take off the socks because he's ashamed of it. Anyway, unbeknownst to the girlfriend, the scrubby brother she's cheating with has syphilis (which explains the dopey expression when they got caught), and the interruption spared her from getting infected. This will all come out later when they're on maury. DUH!

Posted by: TANK | Sep 13, 2010 8:50:38 PM

9. Wow, Tank--what a nasty sombitch you are. Please don't come sit by me.

Posted by: Gary | Sep 13, 2010 10:02:40 PM

10. @Tank: Now THAT'S funny! Thanks for the clear explanation.

Posted by: DougChgo | Sep 14, 2010 12:10:08 AM

11. I really, really want to like Brandon Flowers, as from what little I've listened to his music, it sounds really good -- and I'm not the kind of person who condemns an individual for being a part of a group that is none too friendly to the causes I support, ie arguments of guilt by association. Yet, he hasn't come out in favor of gay rights... just crickets... so one has to assume his devout following of the faith includes its nastier elements, including a hostility to gay and lesbian people. Goodness knows he appeals to enough gay fans -- I think they deserve to know where he really stands before they buy his next record.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 14, 2010 12:36:34 AM

12. Actually, BF has stated that he has a "liberal stance" and thinks "everyone should have equal rights." Sorry, just because someone is Mormon doesn't mean they believe every tenet. Just like all of us gays aren't quick to jump to conclusions or afraid to use google...

Posted by: AladinSane | Sep 14, 2010 1:15:25 AM

13. Brandon Flowers is very much gay friendly. He sand with The Petshop Boys and Lady Gaga and is good friends with the Petshop Boys. He is very much pro LGBT. I do not know of him converting back to Mormonism but I do know he moved from Las Vegas to Utah with his family who ARE Mormons and then left Utah to Las Vegas as he did not agree with the religion. I have not heard anything about him marrying his wife in a mormon church. There is some serious misinformation here.

Posted by: Cory | Sep 14, 2010 2:26:16 PM

14. BF is a gay hating mormon fundamentalist who wears special underwear and engages in "touching ceremonies". He's a MORMON cultist (FLDS, POLYGAMY, POLYGAMY, POLYGAMY!), and he HATES GAY PEOPLE.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 14, 2010 3:02:34 PM

15. See, if Tank says he isn't then you KNOW he is :P

Posted by: Cory | Sep 14, 2010 3:37:43 PM

16. See, if Tank says he isn't then you KNOW he is :P

Posted by: Cory | Sep 14, 2010 3:37:45 PM

17. That Ikea commercial makes about as much sense as their assembly directions in Swedish would. Something has gotten lost in translation.

Posted by: anon | Sep 14, 2010 6:19:48 PM