Elton John | Lady Gaga

Upcoming Lady Gaga Song Could Be 'New Gay Anthem'

Gaga
At least Elton John thinks so. Her new album, Born This Way, won't be released until next year but being Elton John allows you to listen to a very early preview. According to Entertainment Weekly, John had this to say about the album and its title track:

“I love her, and I love her ability to write,” he says. “I love the songs she writes.” A collab between the pair—who’ve become bosom buddies since performing together at January’s Grammy Awards—is a good possiblity. “I’d love to in the future,” John says of working with her. “I’d love to do that.” Then he elaborates: “There’s a chance I might do one track with her [for Born This Way], but it’s just, she’s so busy, and I’m so busy, we can never get together!” But, he adds, “I’ve already heard [Gaga's new album], so I think it’s more or less done. [Born This Way is expected to be released early next year.] Her record—it’s f—ing amazing. ‘Born This Way,’ which is the title song, will completely get rid of Gloria Gaynor’s ‘I Will Survive.’ This is the new ‘I Will Survive.’ That was the gay anthem. This is the new gay anthem."

If you missed this year's VMAs, Gaga sang a few bars while accepting an award on stage. Listen to the audio snippet, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. excited

Posted by: VaVa | Oct 9, 2010 2:18:50 PM

2. I think what Elton said was actually "...she's so busy, and I'm so busy licking Rush Limbaugh's ass and performing at his wedding reception, we can never get together."

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 9, 2010 2:28:05 PM

3. That's a lot to live up to... La Gaynor? You better bring it.

Posted by: The Milkman | Oct 9, 2010 2:29:03 PM

4. I think that Gaga and Cyndi Lauper should do a duet! That would be freaking amazing! Can you imagine the girl who just want to have fun and Gaga singing together? Oh...what a dream!

Posted by: Eric | Oct 9, 2010 2:48:37 PM

5. The whole "born this way" meme sounds like an apology/excuse to me, as in "Boo hoo, I can't help it, I was born this way. Please don't hate me so much."

I'll keep "I don't give half a shit what you think" as my anthem.

Posted by: Francis Scott Off-Key | Oct 9, 2010 3:18:46 PM

6. I would totally sing for Rush Limbaugh if he asked. And then donate the money to gay charities.

Posted by: Sgt.Sausagepants | Oct 9, 2010 3:19:45 PM

7. I already have my anthems: Sylvester's You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) and the Screeching Weasels' I Wanna Be a Homosexual. And what about that Proud sound from the QAF soundtrack? That one was pretty rad too.

Posted by: Jesus | Oct 9, 2010 3:21:54 PM

8. The "Born This Way" acapella was already dropped into a thumping big room number. I just featured it in my Diva Series starring none other than Lady GaGa.

Posted by: Keith | Oct 9, 2010 3:33:06 PM

9. RE: Jesus
    My anthem is 'Got to be Real' by Cheryl Lynn :)

Posted by: Ian | Oct 9, 2010 3:34:16 PM

10. @Ian: How could I forgot that?! So many great ones. Ms. Germanotta should stop trying to reinvent the wheel... Kids these days!

Posted by: Jesus | Oct 9, 2010 3:48:45 PM

11. "glad to be gay" by the tom robinson band.

Posted by: alguien | Oct 9, 2010 3:55:14 PM

12. Love GaGa...But

"Born This Way" is already a Gay anthem performed by Carl Bean back in the day....

Choose a new title GaGa!

Posted by: Chris | Oct 9, 2010 4:04:28 PM

13. i think bad romance is already a gay anthem, theres no gay guy that doesnt like that song, but i guess born this way is more attached to the gayness, but i still think if i could turn back time is the greatest gay anthem of all times, weather people consider it or not...

Posted by: kristian | Oct 9, 2010 4:25:30 PM

14. oh i don't know...

Posted by: oliver | Oct 9, 2010 4:42:35 PM

15. Gaga's "Boys Boys Boys" is my gay anthem - a spectacularly fun song that could have been a massive hit if it had been released as a single.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Oct 9, 2010 4:57:56 PM

16. I get really tired of the line "god doesn't make mistakes," because so many people are clearly huge mistakes. Oh, and there's no god.

Who trusts Elton's opinion on anything? He was dying to work with Eminem, too. He wants to work with Gaga because he knows it would make him even more money. She probably knows better than to work with his tired ass, since most of her fans would be saying, Elton who? Has he put out a song in 10 years that anyone can name? The last thing I remember from that gasbag is Candle in the Wind.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 9, 2010 4:58:11 PM

17. Thanks for this sneak peak. However, please fix the following basic grammar problem in line with Towleroad's high standard of writing.

At the end of the first paragraph, it should read:
    "[...] John had this to say about the album and *its* title track." There is never an apostrophe in the possessive "its"; "it's" only means "it is".

Thanks,

GP

Posted by: Grammar Police | Oct 9, 2010 5:59:04 PM

18. Eminem is crazy talented, though.

But I don't think Gaga will be able to top Divine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd2Gzkkwe9Q

Posted by: balbo1 | Oct 9, 2010 5:59:58 PM

19. I personally do not like being treated as one of "the gays" by anybody. I don't like being told what my new "anthem" is going to be. Elton, your brain has deteriorated since the days you made good songs, such as that one you did with Kiki Dee. One wonders if Alzheimer's has set in.

As for Lady Gaga, she's simply appealing to "the gays" to make money. She's buying her mansions. You're all contributing to it. Her so-called "bisexuality" was a marketing ploy designed to get the attention of sleazy straight guys and their female enablers.

At heart, Ms Gaga is basically a pretentious female art student.

Posted by: jason | Oct 9, 2010 6:19:25 PM

20. Who gets to decide what is the anthem for a group of people? Lady Ga-garbage while I applaud her for her efforts regarding equality, she is not the representative for the "gay community (there really isn't one)".
    Someone above made reference that every gay male likes one of her songs...whomever you are, you are incorrect. I do not know any of her songs and she is not played on any stations I listen to. So, fellas and/or ladies please do not generalize...

Posted by: TJ | Oct 9, 2010 6:53:34 PM

21. gosh you bitter queens,snip snip snip snip cooolllldddddd,gay scene needs a chill pill and this diva attitude has us giving EVERYONE a side eye,just look at gay clubs catty catty catty

Posted by: sal | Oct 9, 2010 10:25:54 PM

22. Everyone needs to seriously layoff Lady Gaga she never said that "born this way" was going to be a gay anthem it was Elton John. As for the the person who said Gaga is just useing gay people to gain fame and money thats simply not true. She has been very supportive of the gay community since she first started off a few years ago and does not seem to be putting aside her gay fanbase. Lets take into account that she brought discharged soldiers under DADT to the VMAS last month in what really was her night but she didnt mind sharing her spotlight to bring attention to an important issue. What about the video she put up on youtube encouraging people to call their senator to repeal DADT? The speech she gave in Maine? Thats not even mentioning the fact that her whole tour is really based on acceptance, liberation, and at heart is really a gayfest. Honestly people stop being so critical. I know some of you hate that she is so linked to the gay community but shes only being supportive and trying to help. Stop being so judgemental towards her because shes not of us.

Posted by: PaulG | Oct 10, 2010 12:10:16 AM

23. RE: SKOC211
    Actually Boys, Boys, Boys is going to be Gaga's next single as well as video. Check out her website, the news is there.

Posted by: Ian | Oct 10, 2010 2:22:00 AM

24. I've found that when someone says "It's the New....." it almost never lives up to the hype. Why not try to just create something new instead of comparing and trying to be "the next" whatever.

Posted by: DaveNJ | Oct 10, 2010 10:33:45 AM

25. Elton John and Lady Gaga! What a pair!

Posted by: gmjackson | Oct 10, 2010 1:19:56 PM